• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover grilled swordfish

jsolomon

Tonight I was having guests for dinner. Unfortunately, they had a family emergency and couldn't make it. So, the swordfish that I had grilled for them is cooling in my refrigerator. The problem is I am in Nebraska and really have little idea what to do with fresh fish, much less leftover. Are there some good leftover ideas people would like to share?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I assume this is already cooked and waiting to become salad. :biggrin:

Slice it and arrange it over lettuce or cube it and or toss it with an appropriate buch of stuff such as raw or roasted peppers; shallots, scallions or onions; olives;, boiled potatoes; capers; other raw or roasted vegetables; etc. Dress it with a vinagrette sauce, or just drizzle some good olive oil and some fresh lemon juice over it and add salt and pepper.

I've also used cooked fish to make a spreadable paté for crackers and toast. I first ran into this in Brittany, where it was served as rillettes de poisson although it was nowhere near as involved as making rillettes from pork belly, nor as fattening or saturated fat laden. Just shread the cooked fish with some olive oil, lemon juice, capers and fresh herbs to taste. You can use a couple of forks or a food processor, depending on how much texture you'd like. A few drops of Tabasco or other pepper sauce is usually a good idea. In a pinch I've done this using canned sardines or other canned fish, but fresh is better.

I'd go for the salad first because of the texture of the swordfish.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I have used leftover fish to make a tasty chowder.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fishcakes or balls. Mash it up, mix in more spices, mashed potatoes, and egg. Let it chill and firm up. Form into your favorite shape (round hockey pucks, ovals, rectangular, conic -- whatever). Coat with flour, then beaten egg, then crumbs (panko is great, but cracker crumbs work fine). Chill again to firm. Shallow fry. Mmmmmmmmm. :smile:

I decided to go with majority opinion. I had the fish tacos. There were a few spots that I wasn't real certain on, so I will let everyone know what I put on them, and hope for some pointers in how to have a better fish taco experience next time.

Flour tortillas, shredded grilled swordfish (cold), shredded cheddar cheese, black beans, medium Pace® picante sauce, shredded iceberg lettuce, homemade mayo with cilantro and tabasco

There were a couple technical difficulties with the mayo. I used fresh squeezed lemon juice and 1.5 cups of EVOO. But, it just turned out too loose. Also, the salsa was overpowering most of the flavors of everything else.

What do people normally put in their fish tacos? It was a good enough experience that I'll do it again. But, it needs a lot of improvement before I serve it to anyone but me.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Too much stuff in the fish tacos. I just use finely shredded cabbage, a chipotle mayonaise, and "pickled" onion. Pickled onion is just finely sliced red onion with fresh lime juice, s&p, let it sit a while. Sometimes I substitute pobalno crema or chipotle crema for the mayo. (Poblano crema: Roasted poblanos whizzed in the blender with crema. Same thing with chipotles and a little of the adobo that they come in.) The pickled onion adds the acid note.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose