• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corduroy, 12th and K Streets NW

DonRocks

laissons les bon printemps rollez

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Mein Utz, oar per haps eye wood beam or rack you writ tin say ying, "Mein Utz sand Marc Snutz," aargh go wing tube bee inn gassed Rhone Nam Mick ex'd us see tomb mar roe, beek cuz whee r ho ping too win joy the Phil lip Pinots pring Rolles witch Ken bee oared herd fore rum ear pit Insat Cord uh Roy.

C ewe their aft her work missed her neb burr gal?

Phone net tick Lee KNOT lack king,

Rox.

This is the best rendition of Leif Erickson with Turrett's I've ever seen.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Mein Utz, oar per haps eye wood beam or rack you writ tin say ying, "Mein Utz sand Marc Snutz," aargh go wing tube bee inn gassed Rhone Nam Mick ex'd us see tomb mar roe, beek cuz whee r ho ping too win joy the Phil lip Pinots pring Rolles witch Ken bee oared herd fore rum ear pit Insat Cord uh Roy.

C ewe their aft her work missed her neb burr gal?

Phone net tick Lee KNOT lack king,

Rox.

That made my brain hurt. I did detect a distinctive Southern Maryland accent, though.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

A big thanks for those who responded so quickly yesterday to my request for information. I power-walked to the restaurant and sat at the bar with (pretentiously? appropriately?) a copy of "The Art of Eating." I had a lovely time.

In the event that people wish to know, I had:

The Cristom pinot gris

Spring Rolls

Lobster Salad

Pistachio Bread pudding

Espresso

The pinot was wonderful with the salad, not the best choice for the spring rolls, which were very peppery but had a fantastic texture.

Thanks again for the advice.

Potentially stupid question:

I feel a sudden need to try the famous spring rolls at Corduroy.

If we get a table, can we order any of the dishes from the bar menu? Or shall we just park ourselves at the bar?

thanks in advance for your guidance. :smile:

(I also welcome any advice on any other favorite dishes.)

Potentially stupid question:

I feel a sudden need to try the famous spring rolls at Corduroy.

If we get a table, can we order any of the dishes from the bar menu? Or shall we just park ourselves at the bar?

thanks in advance for your guidance.  :smile:

(I also welcome any advice on any other favorite dishes.)

Ask if the chef can make the scallops tartar, which will not be on the menu, but whichh he made for the eGullet dinner last year. Out of this world. He made them for me the last time I was in there for dinner. If he has scallops on hand, it should not be a problem. It is like tasting the ocean.

Passed an enjoyable Happy Hour(s) w/mnebergall, al dente, mdt, Chef Shogun, JPW --- consuming the rock 'n Springrolls, Scallops saute'd and tartar, (thanks Tom) and the chicken confit (really big thanks Tom :biggrin: )

Thanks also to Fero Style for keeping it flowing.

Now need to breathe deeply, lean back and loosen the belt buckle -- relax zzzzzzz

Passed an enjoyable Happy Hour(s) w/mnebergall, al dente, mdt, Chef Shogun, JPW --- consuming the rock 'n Springrolls, Scallops saute'd and tartar, (thanks Tom) and the chicken confit (really big thanks Tom  :biggrin: )

Thanks also to Fero Style for keeping it flowing.

Now need to breathe deeply, lean back and loosen the belt buckle -- relax zzzzzzz

Nice seeing ya'll. Thanks for the tip on the scallops tartar, they're nebergall they're cracked up to be. And that chicken confit was the shizznit!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Ahhhhh!! The scallops tartar. Like a big breath of fog from the Penobscot Bay. They're not on the menu but Chef Power seems able to make them if you ask. Thanks again Chef Power. The chicken confit was wonderful as well (muchas gracias). The Ron Jeremy spring rolls: res ipsa loquitor. We need to find out from Chef Shogun how the bread pudding went down.

And, good to see all of the other eGulletteers at happy hour.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Chicken confit -- spectacular. Beautifully crisp without being too salty. Thank you greatly for that one Chef Tom.

Red Snapper Bisque -- Another Tom Power soup winner. Very nicely balanced tastes. Went very well with the Chardonnay chosen by fero style (could you pm exactly what that was please, ferhat?)

Lamb loin with mini-raviolis -- Oh my! The lamb was beautiful. Perfectly prepared. A nice simple dish that really hit the spot. The only problem was that by this time I was stuffed.

My buddy matt had told me that after sitting in hearings all day he had been starving and had already grabbed a burger and didn't want to eat anything. Then he had the chicken. I gave him a bite of the lamb. He said that he'd be kicking himself all night for having earlier given into hunger before arriving at Corduroy.

His two other quotes--

"This is in a Sheraton Four Points?!"

"When I come back to DC, probably in a month or so, we're coming back here. The (insert name of overfunded medical association he works for) will be paying." :biggrin:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

The Ron Jeremy spring rolls: res ipsa loquitor. 

Note: Ron Jeremy is not the sous chef at Corduroy :raz:

I had cold lamb and sticky baby goat cheese ravioli this morning before the coffee was even done.

I'm a happy woman.

Food's been voluminiously raved over, but this place has serious class. We had an 8 pm reservation last night, but my guest was jet-lagged and his cab went to the wrong hotel and everybody just smiled at me as ten minutes stretched into forty and I chatted up the Trinidadian doorman, who says the food there is good and all but some hot Indian soup, that's what the day needed. Once seated, neither I nor my guest could drink--me for a cold, he for religion (and that would be the first time in two weeks that I've appreciated my cold)--so we ordered sparkling water and our waiter, bless him, treated it like a bottle of wine--good glasses, never empty, the bottle carefully wiped between pours. We passed on dessert for a cup of tea, and they brought out beautiful little pots and mugs, and we opened the pots, saw the dark liquid, poured, tasted, looked at one another, looked again in the pots with their dark sides, and then caught a staffer's eye. "Tea bags," he declared upon arrival. Yes, please, and some of the most pretentiously-packaged but wonderfully delicate tea I've ever seen was hastily brought out.

We may have closed the place down, and we were very, very happy people.

Edited by babka (log)

Next happy hour, I'm tempted to request only a trough of those raviolis, but the lamb is just so damn good.

I see a Firefly v. Corduroy lamb loin challenge coming up.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

One night last week, I finally had the chance to try the Filipino style spring rolls, and they were delicious. I can see why the spring rolls - and Corduroy in general - has received such high praise!

I’d also recommend the parsnip soup and the seared sea scallops with Thai curry sauce, which were served with mashed Kabocha squash. We only had time for a few quick appetizers in the bar this time, so we’ll have to return for a full dinner. Those goat cheese ravioli sound enticing. :rolleyes:

Had our first experience at Corduroy on Saturday and I will just add that we had a great meal at the bar. Spring rolls, goat cheese, oysters, pork belly, fries and a bottle of Cornas. Also sampled the parsnip soup and bisque. All delicious.

Also, Corduroy is civilized enough to allow cigar smoking at the bar. Most certainly we will be back. Thanks to Fero and David too.

Edited by DCMark (log)

Last night. Corduroy.

Beef cheeks :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Pork belly :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Chocolate sabayon :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

SO worth waiting for. Nothing more to add.

Thank you, Tom and Rissa and James.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

I was at Corduroy for the first time last night, for a late dinner at 10 pm. DonRock's singing praises that began this thread are entirely justified.

I ordered the pork belly mostly because of the praise that has been heaped upon it by fellow egulleteers: I was a newcomer to this dish and found it a revelation: deeply and slowly braised layers of succulent fat and meat in an unctious reduction with cabbage. The lobster salad with tiny cresses and basil oil was an ideal prelude: a fresh and tender combination of bracing flavors executed with real skill and attention to detail. Other dishes included loin of lamb done to a perfect medium rare, and a seared tuna entree that Chef Power kindly agreed to prepare in an appetizer portion. Desserts were equally well executed, especially wild berries with creme anglaise. Where do you even see a real creme anglaise on a menu anymore? Service began with an awkward welcome at the door as departing guests demanded their coats en masse, but was excellent thereafter.

And the wine list: as others have noted, it combines breadth and depth with what have to be among the lowest markups in the city. The 2001 Stuart Willammette Valley Pinot Noir for $47 was luscious.

What applies to the wine list also applies to the restaurant as a whole: High quality for low prices. The dismal science tells us that situation can't last long, and Chef Power is sure to open a stand-alone restaurant soon and make it one of the hottest dining destinations in the city. At least I hope he does. But in the meantime, I am going to try to get to Corduroy as often as I can.

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

• 3 weeks later...

The shiitake and tomato pizza and the parsnip soup were most excellent, too. I'm definitely looking forward to hitting the regular menu at some point, if that one bite of steak I had was any indication.

Plus they get bonus points for having Smithwick's, Chimay and Guinness on draft. :biggrin:

Thanks to the staff for putting up with us.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard