• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corduroy, 12th and K Streets NW

DonRocks

Its late, I'm cranky, and the boss just gave me a report to read before 8 this morning. What's a girl to do? Pack up the report and head to the bar at Corduroy. At least I can be well fed and happy while I'm working. I took mnebergall's suggestion and went for the lamb sirloin -- wow. Wait, that isn't quite right. WOW. Perfectly cooked, unbelievably tender, complemented and not overwhlemed by the accompanying reduction. The creaminess of the goat cheese ravioli somehow made the texture of the lamb seem even more tender if that makes any sense.

I'm not by any means a regular here. I've been a few times since our eGullet outing. But each of those times I've been greeted as a friend and made to feel welcome. The service has been appropriately attentive but once I took out my work, I was left to it.

Edited by laniloa (log)

Just made reservations for Christmas Day. Woo-Hoo! I've never been but judging by all the praise it will be quite an experience.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

• 3 weeks later...

Went out with all the other donkeys, mules, and asses last night for New Years dinner. Most all the clientele at Corduroy seemed to have 2 legs however. Had excellent service from the staff and some beautiful food. Try those beef cheeks with tarbois beans! And I wish I could get greens as fresh as those in their salads.

Thanks Ferhat and Chef Power!

Al

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

• 3 weeks later...

Corduroy is having a prix fixe v-day menu. I went to this last year and ate in the bar area (it made it a little more low-key). It was quiet and comfortable and the food was delicious

Prix Fixe Valentine's Day Menu

Glass of Champagne

First Course

Choose from:

Parsnip Soup with Tarragon

Blue Moon Acres Micro Greens with Lemon Dressing

Hearts of Romaine Caesar Salad

Crab Salad with Avacado and Bulls Blood Greens

Giga Moto Oysters on the Half Shell with Champagne Mignonette

Seared Sea Scallops, Kabocha Squash Baghi and Thai Curry Sauce

Second Course

Choose from:

Peppered Rare Tuna with Sushi Rice and Hijiki

Crispy Red Snapper with Black Trumpet Mushrooms and Potato Sauce

Melange of Seasonal Vegetables

Whole Baby Chicken with Arugula and Shallots

Roast Lamb Top Sirloin with Root Vegetable Mash

Beef Cheeks Osso Buco Style with Tarbais Beans

Ridgefield Farm Tenderloin of Beef with Turnip Gratin

Dessert Selection

This three course prix fixe dinner is available on Valentine's Day evening from 5:30 - 11:00 PM for $48 per person plus tax and gratuity. All reservations must be confirmed with a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover or Diners Club). A $20 per person fee will be charged for cancellations made after 5:00 PM, Thursday, February 10, 2005.

1201 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005

(202) 589-0699

Over the last few months I've been lucky enough to sample several of Chef Tom Power's soups. Without fail they have been exquisite. Last night's Parsnip with Tarragon was no exception.

Every chef, whether home and professional, has certain items for which they have some innate talent. Nothing to do with technique or recipes, they just "get it". I am swiftly coming to the realization that this chef's particular knack is for soups. Creamy, stock based, whatever - it doesn't matter. The man just makes good soup. Good soup is good for your soul. A happy soul is the secret to inner peace.

Oh hell, the man's food just makes me happy.

PS- I think the spring rolls are actually getting better if that is possible. :huh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

JPW I was there last night too.. STELLAR.

The Bro and I decided to nix the gym last night and go eat dinner in town instead. First course I had the Tuna Tartare with, and I can't remember exactly, but it was a foam that kind of tasted like the ocean, briney and rich. The tartare had onions in it which was a first for me but they worked well with the tuna. Portions were generous and plating was very cool. Service was "on" it was non intrusive, gracious and very attentive. Bri had the lobster salad with pea greans. For as much lobster as this kid has eaten in his life he was quite impressed with this, ultra fresh, un-adulterated, really good. We both had the beef cheeks osso bucco syle with tarbias beans (think farve beans) grean beans and root vegtable ragout. FANTASTIC. sooo rich, perfectly cooked. The fat of the cheeks was just velvet and it had this great crust on the outside which was very rich and provided an awesome difference in texture between the soft melt in your mouth meat. We did dessert as well and I had the bread pudding, stellar. Brian had the warm chocolat Sabayon, stellar as well. Wine service was great. They decated the 2001 Cape D'Estaing Kangaroo Island Shiraz I brought quite properly and the stemware was quite good as well. I'll definetly be back.

I am swiftly coming to the realization that this chef's particular knack is for soups. Creamy, stock based, whatever - it doesn't matter. The man just makes good soup. Good soup is good for your soul. A happy soul is the secret to inner peace. :huh:

I had a different soup last night described by the waiter as simply "Cabbage Soup". But the flavor belied that lowly description. Tasting of cabbage, but not "Cabbage-y" if that makes any sense.

Bill Russell

• 1 month later...

I finally found time for the pleasure of a meal at this superb restaurant. Fantastic meal, truly gracious hospitality. The best, the best bread pudding I have had.

Definitely a top place to recommend.

The only problem is that I now suffer from a severe case of wine-list envy.

Michael -- for what it's worth, I think you have a pretty good wine list. Jarad can help you I'm sure if you want to tweak it.

Edited to add: Of course Corduroy's list is damned fine!

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

A deep wistful sign from someone who has been confined to vile Chilean swill for the last few weeks. :hmmm: Will work for a nice glass of pinot.

Resident Twizzlebum

I apologize in advance for not having the time to read the thread thoroughly. I'm in Washington for about the next 2 hours and had been looking forward to dashing to Corduroy for an early dinner. Is the general consensus that this is still a good thing to do? I haven't read thoroughly about the shut-down and follow-up activity.

Thanks.

I apologize in advance for not having the time to read the thread thoroughly. I'm in Washington for about the next 2 hours and had been looking forward to dashing to Corduroy for an early dinner. Is the general consensus that this is still a good thing to do? I haven't read thoroughly about the shut-down and follow-up activity.

Thanks.

Go! You will have a wonderful meal. The shutdown was over a technicality.

Mein Utz, oar per haps eye wood beam or rack you writ tin say ying, "Mein Utz sand Marc Snutz," aargh go wing tube bee inn gassed Rhone Nam Mick ex'd us see tomb mar roe, beek cuz whee r ho ping too win joy the Phil lip Pinots pring Rolles witch Ken bee oared herd fore rum ear pit Insat Cord uh Roy.

C ewe their aft her work missed her neb burr gal?

Phone net tick Lee KNOT lack king,

Rox.

Je croix que vendredi serait le meilleur jour.

J'ai un copain qui attend une conference ce semaine avec qui j'espere de partager un petit repas ce jour-la.

Est qu'il y a des plats nouveaux que je dois essayer? Ou devrais-je manger des "roules de printemps" encore?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W