• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corduroy, 12th and K Streets NW

DonRocks

When you order spring rolls, and they’re on special for $4, you assume they’ll be bite sized at best, right? Not these. These are Filipino spring rolls, baby, the Ron Jeremy of pastry cigars. Three at seven inches, minimum. Tasty, too.

Ron Jeremy. EWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

On behalf of the women around here I am going to forgive you for the Ron Jeremy reference.

Those spring rolls though. Oh those spring rolls :wub: Worth a trip to Corduroy even if you order nothing else.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I was beyond excited to get out of the office at a decent hour last night and was looking forward to getting to cook dinner for the first time in over a week. And then I hit a wall of traffic. And sat. And sat. And began thinking of an alternate route and it took me right by Corduroy. Screw cooking, I thought. I sidled up to the bar and enjoyed a glass of wine and pumpkin soup. Pumpkin soup is new to me -- I can't explain why I've never had it before this year -- and I can't get enough of it. This version didn't have too many competing flavors so the pumpkin was the star. Chef Tom and fero style were welcoming and the great service, friendly atmosphere, and fabulous soup definitely turned my mood around.

• 2 weeks later...

We had dinner at Corduroy last evening and it was just great in all repects. The place is also a bargain... if you behave with the wine list. How do you pass up a 1999 Paloma Merlot for $67!

AS for the food..starters- lobster salad was outstanding as was the pumpkin soup and the oysters Entrees- the crisp grouper was probably one of the top fish dishes I have , the scallops were outstanding and the pork belly... well what can one say bad about roast bacon!! For dessert I will say just one thing...Pistashio (spg??) bread pudding..WOW!!!

Tom Power is a treasure.... and turns out great food a very civil prices. Also, he has one of best staffs in DC these days!

• 2 weeks later...
When you order spring rolls, and they’re on special for $4, you assume they’ll be bite sized at best, right? Not these.  These are Filipino spring rolls, baby, the Ron Jeremy of pastry cigars. Three at seven inches, minimum. Tasty, too.

My vote for Best Value For Any Single Food Item in all of Washington must go to Corduroy's Filipino Spring Rolls during Happy Hour. From 4-7 PM at the bar only, these things are FOUR DOLLARS, and even at the regular price of six dollars, it's Free Giveaway City. During lunch only, they offer two rolls for five dollars in the restaurant.

General Manager Rissa Pagsibigan is the impetus behind these spring rolls: it's her mom's own recipe, executed at the hands of the master Tom Power. Rissa told me that her mom comes in periodically and berates Tom if things aren't exactly as they're supposed to be ('You need to chop the water chestnuts a bit smaller!'). Between Rissa and Ferhat (our own fero style), Corduroy's FOH is becoming a huge strength. Next time you go in, congratulate Rissa on being one of only eight women to be invited in 2004 to join the Washington chapter of Les Dames d'Escoffier.

We've all had spring rolls a million times, but I'll go out on a bamboo shoot and say that I don't think I've ever had any that are better than these.

Cheers!

Rocks.

P.S. Try the pistachio bread pudding, made with brioche!

These are Filipino spring rolls, baby, the Ron Jeremy of pastry cigars. Three at seven inches, minimum. Tasty, too.

My vote for Best Value For Any Single Food Item in all of Washington must go to Corduroy's Filipino Spring Rolls during Happy Hour. From 4-7 PM at the bar only, these things are FOUR DOLLARS, and even at the regular price of six dollars, it's Free Giveaway City. During lunch only, they offer two rolls for five dollars in the restaurant.

General Manager Rissa Pagsibigan is the impetus behind these spring rolls: it's her mom's own recipe, executed at the hands of the master Tom Power. Rissa told me that her mom comes in periodically and berates Tom if things aren't exactly as they're supposed to be ('You need to chop the water chestnuts a bit smaller!'). Between Rissa and Ferhat (our own fero style), Corduroy's FOH is becoming a huge strength. Next time you go in, congratulate Rissa on being one of only eight women to be invited in 2004 to join the Washington chapter of Les Dames d'Escoffier.

We've all had spring rolls a million times, but I'll go out on a bamboo shoot and say that I don't think I've ever had any that are better than these.

Cheers!

Rocks.

I wonder how many orders of these we will go through at HH today.... And thanks for the tip on one of my favorite desserts.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

These are Filipino spring rolls, baby, the Ron Jeremy of pastry cigars. Three at seven inches, minimum. Tasty, too.

Cheers!

Rocks.

I wonder how many orders of these we will go through at HH today.... And thanks for the tip on one of my favorite desserts.

Bread pudding, my favorite thing in the world...will be consumed tonight. Had to eat a pathetic knockoff at company potluck yesterday and must have the real thing pronto before I jet off to a no-pudding land.

Resident Twizzlebum

As for my breaking my no posting on the weekend policy. Well, I'm at work!

We were so incredibly well treated last night that words escape me. We were a motley party of 5 (with one joining later).

3 orders of spring rolls, 2 orders of goat cheese, an order of scallops, a round of pumpkin soup and a round of banana ice cream and many glasses of wine.

All I can say is that I think that next week, I might have to go down and start ordering spring rolls and have them keep coming until I can eat no more. Rissa's mom deserves to be sainted for this recipe.

Pumpkin soup like nothing you have ever tried before. Just perfect. The only problem is that now I don't think that I'll ever try to make pumpkin soup at home. I'll inevitably be disappointed.

The syrah by the glass actually managed to wrap itself around all of the dishes.

(If one of the Corduroy folks could PM the complete info on the bottle I'd be greatly appreciative)

It was great to meet Ferhat, Rissa, and Chef Tom. Kudos to the bartender (whose name I did not catch) for putting up with us.

Any city in the world would be lucky to have this place, I'm just glad that it's in DC.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

As for my breaking my no posting on the weekend policy. Well, I'm at work!

We were so incredibly well treated last night that words escape me. We were a motley party of 5 (with one joining later).

3 orders of spring rolls, 2 orders of goat cheese, an order of scallops, a round of pumpkin soup and a round of banana ice cream and many glasses of wine.

All I can say is that I think that next week, I might have to go down and start ordering spring rolls and have them keep coming until I can eat no more. Rissa's mom deserves to be sainted for this recipe.

Pumpkin soup like nothing you have ever tried before. Just perfect. The only problem is that now I don't think that I'll ever try to make pumpkin soup at home. I'll inevitably be disappointed.

It was great to meet Ferhat, Rissa, and Chef Tom. Kudos to the bartender (whose name I did not catch) for putting up with us.

I dreamt of the soup last night :wub:

Rissa's mother's spring rolls make the world a better place.

JPW, I am sure Peanut would fit on a bar stool. We'll bring a long a mini blender and get her started early on those spring rolls.

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful way to wind down from an exhausting week.

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

JPW, I am sure Peanut would fit on a bar stool.  We'll bring a long a mini blender and get her started early on those spring rolls. 

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Last night, Corduroy. As I type this in my less-than-perfectly alert state, the feeling that lingers is comfort, warmth and happiness that can only be found when your palate is indulged with good food, your heart with good company of friends, and your bottom with a comfortable bar stool.

Started off with spring rolls. Whoever said they are the Ron Jeremy of spring rolls, you are right - regarding the length. The girth, I don't know. But how perfect this juicy filling, this crispiness, and the sauce with just enough bite.

Nice wine, too, 1999 Syrah (from Marietta? California? right? - all is blurred), strong floral taste. Rissa fixed us with some pretty good chardonnay, too - thank you, darling.

But the highlight of the evening was chocolate sabayon. I went for bread pudding as was my original intention, and mdt orderd sabayon. The bread pudding was great, don't get me wrong, it's just that nothing, and I do mean, NOTHING, can be better than a well-done dark chocolate dessert. And the spoonfuls that the kind person mdt :wub: let me have still have me swooning. It's THAT good. Dark, moist, melting, rich, everything that a chocolate dessert should be, and I want it Right Now. :wub::wub:

We didn't leave till close to midnight, only to migrate to Citronelle for a nightcap riesling - but that's a story for another time. If I have one night like this a week for the rest of my life, I will never have to have a therapist. What a great send-off.

Resident Twizzlebum

Last night ... my less-than-perfectly alert ... bottom ... Started off with ...  Ron Jeremy ... you are right - regarding the length. The girth, I don't know.  But how perfect this juicy filling, this crispiness, and the sauce with just enough bite... thank you, darling.

But the highlight of the evening was ... my original intention ... mdt ... nothing, and I do mean, NOTHING, can be better ... and I want it Right Now.  :wub:  :wub: ...

If I have one night like this a week for the rest of my life, I will never have to have a therapist.  What a great send-off.

:hmmm:

What happens at Corduroy STAYS at Corduroy!

It's always fun when 'Happy Hour' becomes "Happy Quarter Of The Day". Everybody is right about those spring rolls, too! I ordered another plate once the 'second shift' came in and we started over with the food and drink!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Yes Corduroy could definitely become habit forming! Don't know if there are still reservations available, but for those that choose to eat out on Thanksgiving should check-out Tom's menu for Turkey Day -- (hint: there's more than Turkey on it).

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Yes Corduroy could definitely become habit forming!  Don't know if there are still reservations available, but for those that choose to eat out on Thanksgiving should check-out Tom's menu for Turkey Day -- (hint: there's more than Turkey on it).

NB it's Tom Turkey.

Yes Corduroy could definitely become habit forming!  Don't know if there are still reservations available, but for those that choose to eat out on Thanksgiving should check-out Tom's menu for Turkey Day -- (hint: there's more than Turkey on it).

NB it's Tom Turkey.

Didn't get into the gender :raz: , but Tom said last year he ran out and had difficulty in obtaining extra to satisfy the demand.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Well, I managed to down two orders of spring rolls last night.

And some of Mrs JPW's beet and goat cheese salad. Delicious.

PS - Corduroy gets Peanut's seal of approval

Joe W

Ate at Cordroy on Thanksgiving...took the Mrs for the first time, and it was, once again, superb. Turkey was great, and the root vegetable puree was remarkable.

I think it may actually be more difficult to do a basic, traditional dinner like turkey/mashed potates/gravy/green beans/mashed root veggies really, really well. It was everything I expected, given what I have had there for previous meals.

Kudos to Chef Power, Fero Style, and the great FOH staff.

Rob

The in-laws took us out to dinner at Corduroy on Friday. A great evening -- everything was as wonderful as when Mr. mktye and I were there for the eG dinner. Mr. mktye and I approach most meals out with his parents with a bit of trepidation because they have quite a knack for creating scenes in public, but no worries that night since the service was superb (thank you fero style!!!) and the food was without a single fault.

Almost half the table ordered the salmon with lentils, but Chef Powers was not pleased with the quality of the salmon that night, so we were asked if rockfish could be subtstituted. That turned out to be fortuitous. The crisp skin really set off the cooked-to-perfection rockfish and the salmon was not missed in the least.

The funniest part of the evening was when my ten-year-old nephew received his mozzarella porcupine first course. When we noticed that he was scraping off the coating of fried potato strands, I told him what they were and that I though he would like the taste. He said: "Oh! I thought they were the spines!" :laugh:

Edited by mktye (log)

The in-laws took us out to dinner at Corduroy on Friday.  A great evening -- everything was as wonderful as when Mr. mktye and I were there for the eG dinner.  Mr. mktye and I approach most meals out with his parents with a bit of trepidation because they have quite a knack for creating scenes in public, but no worries that night since the service was superb (thank you fero style!!!) and the food was without a single fault.

Almost half the table ordered the salmon with lentils, but Chef Powers was not pleased with the quality of the salmon that night, so we were asked if rockfish could be subtstituted.  That turned out to be fortuitous.  The crisp skin really set off the cooked-to-perfection rockfish and the salmon was not missed in the least.

The funniest part of the evening was when my ten-year-old nephew received his mozzarella porcupine first course.  When we noticed that he was scraping off the coating of fried potato strands, I told him what they were and that I though he would like the taste.  He said:  "Oh!  I thought they were the spines!"  :laugh:

sounds like the kid is an adventurous eater. i like him!

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

The in-laws took us out to dinner at Corduroy on Friday.

Now that really is funny-- My in-laws to be took us out to dinner there Friday night as well... Seems the EG crew was all present & accounted for. :biggrin:

The spring rolls are indeed divine, as is the pork belly, and the bread puddin' is actually a very intelligent riff on baklava-- I was quite impressed. Power does an outstanding vegetable plate--it is actually on the menu and includes such things as seaweed salad, sauteed mushrooms and other delites that made 87-yr-old great Aunt Rita quite happy. Only complaint was that the Raspberry Point oysters weren't very exciting--they lacked brininess, and could've been a bit colder. Other than that, which was no big deal, the family left quite happy-- beautiful presentations lovely food, a reasonable price point. Oh, and an absolutely perfect Manhattan for my dad-to-be, accompanied by the bartender who shared the recipe with him. Terrific!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Last night, Corduroy. As I type this in my less-than-perfectly alert state, the feeling that lingers is comfort, warmth and happiness that can only be found when your palate is indulged with good food, your heart with good company of friends, and your bottom with a comfortable bar stool. 

Started off with spring rolls. Whoever said they are the Ron Jeremy of spring rolls, you are right - regarding the length. The girth, I don't know.  But how perfect this juicy filling, this crispiness, and the sauce with just enough bite.

One of the greatest things about these spring rolls is that they're so damn tight. If the filling squirts out in the hand of an excited eater, he can just put it right back in and keep on eatin'. They seem more cigar or taquito like in rollmanship. Tight.

Started off with spring rolls. Whoever said they are the Ron Jeremy of spring rolls, you are right - regarding the length. The girth, I don't know.  But how perfect this juicy filling, this crispiness, and the sauce with just enough bite.

One of the greatest things about these spring rolls is that they're so damn tight. If the filling squirts out in the hand of an excited eater, he can just put it right back in and keep on eatin'. They seem more cigar or taquito like in rollmanship. Tight.

Dammit, girl, I KNEW the spring roll discussion will get out of hand.

But I do agree, loosey-goosey spring rolls are an abomination...when you keep on biting and biting, and all you can taste is fried-cardboard-like shell with a few tendrils of sloppily fried cabbage.

Not the Power missiles - these are tight and bursting with juicy goodness.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

The in-laws took us out to dinner at Corduroy on Friday.

Now that really is funny-- My in-laws to be took us out to dinner there Friday night as well... Seems the EG crew was all present & accounted for. :biggrin:

The spring rolls are indeed divine, as is the pork belly, and the bread puddin' is actually a very intelligent riff on baklava-- I was quite impressed. Power does an outstanding vegetable plate--it is actually on the menu and includes such things as seaweed salad, sauteed mushrooms and other delites that made 87-yr-old great Aunt Rita quite happy. Only complaint was that the Raspberry Point oysters weren't very exciting--they lacked brininess, and could've been a bit colder. Other than that, which was no big deal, the family left quite happy-- beautiful presentations lovely food, a reasonable price point. Oh, and an absolutely perfect Manhattan for my dad-to-be, accompanied by the bartender who shared the recipe with him. Terrific!

Indeed, Sara and I had a terrific meal at Corduroy on Friday night. Wonderfully presented, delicious food along with nicely paced and attentive service. I enjoyed the Niman Ranch pork belly as well as the many items from the vegetable plate that my great aunt kept slipping me--mushrooms, bok choi, gruyere & potato cake among them. Our party enjoyed a 2001 Qupe Roussanne Edna Valley Alban Vineyard, nicely priced at $40 which went quite well with the pork, scallops, and tuna dishes that the wine drinkers ordered.

It was a thrill to see DonRocks, morela and JPW sitting in the lounge area snacking on spring rolls right as we entered. :biggrin: I'd say I'd go back again soon--but it's an awfully long trip from Wisconsin!

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

• 2 weeks later...

Had dinner last night with some business associates at Corduroy. Wonderful meal. Chef Power sent a plate of the Ron Jeremy spring rolls to the table (thanks again Chef). Very tasty. I ordered the mozzarella porcupine (deconstructed fried mozzarella) but asked if the chef could do the scallops tar-tar instead. The scallops came and they were every bit as good as my description of them at the eGullet dinner. I ordered the lamb loin with mini ravioli. The lamb was perfectly medium rare with a great roasted crust on the outside. The mini ravioli were an excellent accompaniment. The Alsatian apple tart was exactly what I expected and it was delicious. A couple of bottles of Oregon Pinot Noir set things just right.

I gotte tell ya, this place is a real gem. The quality of the ingredients and the level of preparation greatly exceed the price point.

Thanks to Chef Power and Fero Style for a great experience. The staff is more than just knowledgeable. The first bottle of Pinot we ordered was a 1999. The waiter knew that they were out of the '99 but had the '01. He was able to scrounge up a bottle of the '99 anyway (from Chef Power's personal stash I suspect (thanks)). And when we went to order our second bottle, he was able to describe how it would be different from our previous bottle. Very well trained staff. I was impressed.

Edited by mnebergall (log)