• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corduroy, 12th and K Streets NW

DonRocks

Thanks for the information rosebud. Everything I've heard about this establishment has me really looking forward to restaurant week as well. Twice that week? Sounds great.

Busboy, thanks, I've PM'd fero for more information. Can't wait to go.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

When is everyone coming here?

I've been thinking of swinging down from Philly to DC for a few days during RW, and it'd be great if we could do a Egulleteer dinner with a combo of out of towners and homies, perhaps at Corduroy. The other place I want to check out is Jaleo.

Still investigating other options.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 weeks later...
When is everyone coming here?

I've been thinking of swinging down from Philly to DC for a few days during RW, and it'd be great if we could do a Egulleteer dinner with a combo of out of towners and homies, perhaps at Corduroy.  The other place I want to check out is Jaleo.

I think I'll be there for dinner on Saturday Jan 8 - the night before RW starts. I'm meeting with a friend for a special dinner but not a group thing.

Any thoughts from this group on Restaurant Eve as an option? I'm not sure I can get a table there for that night on this short a notice but they have some stellar coffee offerings (a rarity in the world of fine dining) that I'd really like to try.

PM me to discuss so we can keep this thread on topic with Corduroy as the focus. And assuming that I do end up at Corduroy (which appears highly likely) - any ordering suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Just had dinner at Corduroy (Saturday night Jan 7th). EG member Fero Style was out on leave and thus not available as our server but the two servers that handled our table were excellent. Helpful, friendly, offered brief explanations where appropriate and service was unobtrusive. Their timing was impeccable.

Six course tasting menu at $65 (4 and 5 course also available at $45 and $55)

• Amuse:
    demitasse of soup - cauliflower/parm for her and butternut squash for me. I hate squash but I could have had a huge bowl of just this for dinner and been content.
    Then:
    seared scallop with chanterelles and chardonnay sauce
    lobster salad with cucumber slices, micro greens and basil oil
    sushi course of seared pepper encrusted ahi tuna cube with seasoned sushi rice
    braised pork belly on sautéed cabbage
    sliced Wagyu beef tenderloin with rutabaga
    Palate cleanser:
    pineapple sorbet with pistachio wafer
    Final:
    chocolate banana ice cream on sliced banana with chocolate tart on side

Excellent Italian mineral water at $7 for the large bottle (can't recall the brand but I liked it better than Pellegrino).

Did I mention that the service was fantastic? We always had exactly the right utensils on the table for each course but never ones we did not need for that course. Timing was perfect - sat down promptly at our 6:30 reservation time and finished at 9:00. We would have lingered over coffee but had tickets for a 9:30 PM show and had to jet out in a hurry.

Neither of us were wowed by the sushi dish - it was okay but not a star. But the rest of the meal was superb. If I was ordering off the menu I think I'd start with soup, get either the scallops or the pork belly and finish with the same dessert.

In part due to great company but also supported by truly memorable food and excellent service - one of my best nights dining out ever - anywhere. My best reference point would be a birthday dinner I had at Danube in NY four years ago. Other than Danube being set in a sumptuous and spectacularly beautiful room.... Corduroy trumped it on all counts and did it for far less money (comparable dinner at Danube four years ago was $85 per person and $14 per bottle of water).

Highly recommended. Thanks to all who assisted me with info and suggestions on this gem.

• 2 weeks later...

Corduroy seems to be still a bit under the radar, despite Power's reputation among serious foodies and recent praise for the floor staff and wine list, but I'd try a week or two out for a Friday or Saturday dinner. Maybe Fero can weigh in.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

If this RSVP is for a holiday or a special day(thanksgiving,christmas,valentine`s..etc) , I recommend you book a table a month ago or sooner. for a weekend table a week ahead will be just fine as well as a weekday table.

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

Thanks for the responses. It was actually for dinner this monday at 8. Just made reservations a few hours ago. I guess it's a light night for dining out so no need for 1 week in advance.

If this RSVP is for a holiday or a special day(thanksgiving,christmas,valentine`s..etc) , I recommend you book a table a month ago or sooner. for a weekend table a week ahead will be just fine as well as a weekday table.

Thanks for the responses.  It was actually for dinner this monday at 8.  Just made reservations a few hours ago.  I guess it's a light night for dining out so no need for 1 week in advance.

In late December before the holidays, I walked into Corduroy at 6 or so and the place was virtually empty. The meal was delicious--all praise to the pork belly, which was superb.

rob t.

• 2 months later...

Had dinner here on Friday:

We stayed at the Topaz in Dupont Circle and after checking in on Friday night we headed to Corduroy for dinner. I had forgotten it was in the Sheraton, the only thing we didn't really care for (low ceilings, hotel-y feel). We had the torchon of foie gras which was great and the mozzerela porcupine which was good but needed s & p or something. Next up was the striped bass with trumpet mushroom sauce and the lamb sirloin with mini goat cheese ravioli. both were excellent! We mentioned to our waiter Tom that we were thinking of heading to the Firefly for drinks and would he recommend that? Tom let us know that his brother Derek was the manager and he was heading there too! Small town......

Drinks at Firefly (a Kimpton hotel) were great and Derek was really nice to comp us a round.

• 2 years later...

Corduroy is not participating in Restaurant Week promotion. Please make your reservations accordingly.

I appreciate your patronage for the past Restaurant Week promotions.

Regards,

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

• 10 months later...

Bump !

Visited Cordroy in its new location on 9th street. After seeing the online reviews we decided to try it over a short weekend visit.

Luckily, getting a reservation at prime time (7pm on a Sat) was not a problem. It was interesting though that almost every table except ours seemed to be celebrating a birthday or special occasion.

The dish that caught my eye when I scouted the online menu; Sea Urchin Pasta - The uni almost perfectly complimented extremely fresh and delicious pasta. It was topped with some seaweed, which worked if one balanced the ratio of delicately flavored uni pasta with the powerful seaweed.

gallery_21049_162_25555.jpg

Scallops - on truffled mashed potatoes with a morel sauce which was fantastic

gallery_21049_162_16668.jpg

Soft shell crabs - It was a special that night. Fresh crabs with crisp vermicelli-like noodles.

gallery_21049_162_20853.jpg

Chocolate Sabayon - best part was the brittle

gallery_21049_162_14053.jpg

Pistachio Bread Pudding - this was OK, not memorable

gallery_21049_162_32008.jpg