• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corduroy, 12th and K Streets NW

DonRocks

5. Scallop – served with garlic mashed potatoes and morel mushrooms. I ate this with some initial trepidation, as we were informed that the chef gets his scallops from New Jersey. Since I grew up in New Jersey, I had visions of ingesting scallops freshly harvested from the Hudson River.  :wink:  However, this was probably my favorite dish, as the scallop was seared perfectly and had such a fresh, clean taste.

I had this a few weeks back in the bar and thought it was an interesting "surf and turf" combination - on the menu I'm not sure it reads as good as it tastes. The scallops with their faint taste of the sea work with the earthy mushrooms.

When I had it they were using shitakes, so I can imagine it is that much better with the morels.

Bill Russell

Does anyone know the details of Corduroy's happy hour(times-deals on food & wine)?  Thinking about meeting a couple of friends there after work. Thanks.

hmmm, my memory is a little hazy from our happy hour there - but I recall $3 or $4 dollar pints and $5ish lumpia?? We got there shortly after 5 and happy hour was in effect

• 1 month later...

I had scallops again. Someone should make me order something else next time just so folks don't think I'm obsessed or something. :biggrin: They were, of course, perfectly cooked, sweet and creamy inside. An excellent match with Bourgogne Blanc I was drinking.

Oh, and beet salad and chocolate torte. That torte is excellent. Imagine the most intense chocolate custard ever and that's what it's like.

I'm becoming a Corduroy groupie. :blush:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I had scallops again. Someone should make me order something else next time just so folks don't think I'm obsessed or something.  :biggrin:  They were, of course, perfectly cooked, sweet and creamy inside. An excellent match with Bourgogne Blanc I was drinking.

I was sitting next to Heather and each dish they brought to her I said, "Oh, I'll have THAT."

I think beets and goat cheese are a perfect combination and the beet salad here is a great version.

Scallops and mushrooms on teh other hand aren't what one usually thinks of as a perfect combination. But this really works - earth and sea - a funky little surf and turf. And one of the best scallop dishes in town.

And that white Burgundy was going down like water with everything.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be in DC next week and am eagerly anticipating my first visit to Corduroy. I'll be having dinner there on Thursday (all by my lonesome :sad: ), ordering off the bar menu. However, I can't seem to locate an online menu. I've read through this topic, though, and have deduced that the don't-miss items are the spring rolls, lamb w/goat cheese ravioli, scallops, pistachio bread pudding, and chocolate sabayon. OK, that takes care of the first hour, but I'm planning to be there for at least two. :wink: Bill and Heather, I saw that you ate at Corduroy about two weeks ago. Do you, or anyone else who has been there recently, have any highly recommended seasonal items?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'll be in DC next week and am eagerly anticipating my first visit to Corduroy. I'll be having dinner there on Thursday (all by my lonesome  :sad: ), ordering off the bar menu. However, I can't seem to locate an online menu. I've read through this topic, though, and have deduced that the don't-miss items are the spring rolls, lamb w/goat cheese ravioli, scallops, pistachio bread pudding, and chocolate sabayon. OK, that takes care of the first hour, but I'm planning to be there for at least two.  :wink:  Bill and Heather, I saw that you ate at Corduroy about two weeks ago. Do you, or anyone else who has been there recently, have any highly recommended seasonal items?

The lobster salad appetizer is always a hit.

And my choice for best dessert is the "Michel's Kit Kat bar." It is Chef Power's version of the dessert Michel Richard does at Citronelle (Chef Power worked at Citronelle before Corduroy) and I think it is as good or better than the original. Layers of dense but light chocolate (is that possible?) with crunchy layers of unknown origin and a hazelnut flavor.

My last visit I ahd the Wagyu Strip steak and it was very flavorful and is accompanied by a small piece of some root vegetable gratin. But I'd still go for the lamb or scallops first.

Sorry I can't join you, but I live in the deep 'burbs and weeknights are tough to get into the city. I hope you enjoy.

Bill Russell

• 1 month later...

Folks,

I know there are a lot of fans of this restaurant on the forum (I've not yet had a chance to partake), so I thought you'd like to know about the dinner Cleveland Park Wines, Big Fire Winery, and Corduroy are putting on at the end of the month. I have no connection to any of these enterprises, blah, blah ... Sorry for the formatting, that's just how the announcement came to me. Wish I could go; hope someone does and reports back:

CORDUROY MENU : With OWNER, TRISH ( lovely Irish

lady! ) of the BIG FIRE winery, OREGON :

25 percent of the cost of the dinner will be donated to

SHARE OUR STRENGTH HURRICANE KATRINA RELIEF FUND

$100 inclusive per person. Call Rissa Pagsibigan or David

Batista at 202-589-0699 for reservations and or more information.

Corduroy is located at 1201 K Street, NW. Wash DC, NW. 202-589-0699.

Reception is at 6:30 pm, Dinner is at 7 pm.

PASSED HORS D'OEUVRES

SUNSET BEACH OYSTERS ON THE HALF SHELL WITH

CHAMPAGNE MIGNONETTE

FILIPINO STYLE SPRING ROLLS WITH DIPPING

SAUCE

RILETTE OF DUCK LEG

( served with the R. STUART BRUT ROSE, NV )

FIRST COURSE :

VIDALIA ONIONS SOURBISE

( served with the BIG FIRE Pinot Gris, 2004

)

SECOND COURSE :

PEPPERED RARE TUNA WITH KABOCHA SQUASH BAGHI

( served with the BIG FIRE Pinot Noir, 2003 )

THIRD COURSE :

ROASTED BALLOTINE OF SUNNYSIDE FARMS CHICKEN AND LOCAL SHITAKE

MUSHROOMS, FOIE GRAS SAUCE

( serves with the R. STUART Pinot Noir 2003 )

FOURTH COURSE :

NIMAN RANCH PORK BELLY WITH SAVOY CABBAGE

( served with the R. STUART Pinot Noir " BUNKER HALL

Vineyard " 2002 )

FIFTH COURSE :

EPOISSES WITH BURGUNDY TRUFFLE AND FIGS

( served with a SPECIAL CELLAR SELECTION )

CHEF AND OWNER TOM POWER

• 2 weeks later...

I will second the post calling the Corduroy softshells the best they've ever had - I got softshells there during restaurant week and I was absolutely blown away. In fact, I can't give you a good reason why I'm not there eating them right now.

I want to organize a dinner at Corduroy in early november, we plan on bringing wine and would love to do some sort of tasting menu. Anyone know who the best person to contact it? Is there a egulletteer out there from the restaurant??

Mazman

• 2 months later...

After reading this thread, just scheduled dinner for ten people in January on my annual excursion into town from the eastern shore. I'm hoping that the restaurant still lives up to the descriptions of the food?

I looked at the 4 points website and was almost put-off by the picture they have of the restaurant, better not to have one at all, IMHO.

Also, is it more popular than suggested by DonRocks' original post?

TIA

This restaurant sounds fabulous. Great reviews everyone. Does anyone know when they'll have an online menu?

Also, I hate to be crass, but what the Hell. What is the price range at lunch and at dinner? In particular, say appetizer and soup (I've got to have a bowl of one of the soups everyone's been raving about), main course, dessert, wine by the glass?

Thanks.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

This restaurant sounds fabulous.  Great reviews everyone.  Does anyone know when they'll have an online menu?

Also, I hate to be crass, but what the Hell.  What is the price range at lunch and at dinner?  In particular, say appetizer and soup (I've got to have a bowl of one of the soups everyone's been raving about), main course, dessert, wine by the glass?

Thanks.

Appetizers run about $7-11

Mains run about $18-28

Wines run about $7-9

Mrs JPW and I usually run up a tab of about $xxx with all courses, a bottle of wine, and an after dinner drink. More frugal and less gluttonous people can easily walk out at about $50/per person.

Edit to add - the spring rolls are $4 during happy hour!

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

This restaurant sounds fabulous.  Great reviews everyone.  Does anyone know when they'll have an online menu?

Also, I hate to be crass, but what the Hell.  What is the price range at lunch and at dinner?  In particular, say appetizer and soup (I've got to have a bowl of one of the soups everyone's been raving about), main course, dessert, wine by the glass?

Thanks.

Appetizers run about $7-11

Mains run about $18-28

Wines run about $7-9

Mrs JPW and I usually run up a tab of about $xxx with all courses, a bottle of wine, and an after dinner drink. More frugal and less gluttonous people can easily walk out at about $50/per person.

Edit to add - the spring rolls are $4 during happy hour!

Thanks JPW. That helps a lot. Now, if I can just figure out how to combine being more frugal AND more gluttonous, that would be awesome! :biggrin:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

It is a bargain for the quality of the food.

Thanks docsconz. Even more of a bargain during Restaurant Week in January 2006, since they'll have a fixed price lunch of $20.00 and the same for dinner for $30.00. :smile:

Currently our new website is under construction. There will be online menu and pictures of the restaurant . Any other questions , please PM me , I`ll be happy to help you about Corduroy.

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

Thanks.

At lunch the soups are $5 (at the bar) and come with some wonderful bread. FIVE MEASLY DOLLARS for the fabulous Red Snapper bisque!

On another website, Michael Landrum of Ray's the Steaks pointed out that the Wagyu Strip Streak that Tom Power charges $28 for is sold in another restaurant a couple of blocks away for $68. For the exact same thing.

If you are here during Restaurant Week (Jan 9 - Jan 15), Power puts the entire menu up for grabs (with extra charges for the expensive stuff) and it is one of the truly great bargains in this town. (I will be eating dinner there TWICE that week :wub: )

And, though he implied rather than stated it in his posting, fero style is a member of Corduroy's excellent floor staff and can answer even the most detailed questions you might have.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.