• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet 2004

Susan in FL

Is this what you're talking about? It's very CARVEL to me! :rolleyes:

?

Carvel as in:

"caravel (also carvel)

noun historical a small, fast Spanish or Portuguese ship of the 15th–17th centuries."

(Oxford Dictionary)

The cover of Gourmet magazine this month looks like it's Martha Stewart's magazine!  ... Or a Target ad.

I was thinking the same thing as I was got a looksy at my mother's copy. Yeah, it is sort of Martha green. Perhaps festive and bright for the dreary upcoming, dead of Winter month of January?

But if it were a Target ad, it would be done in fire engine red! :biggrin: Althought it could be argued that it is rather Isaac Mizrahi-ish too. :raz:

I'm still at a loss about who Gourmet thinks its readers are. The "What's Next" spread, for instance, includes a bunch of stuff that seems dated already, including a piece on the Slow Food movement, heralding it as the next big thing.

Could be wrong, but I'd think that people who are educated, affluent and care enough about food to subscribe to a magazine would have heard about Slow Food quite a while ago.

What's equally puzzling is Ruth Reichl's editors note, in which she says that she and others at the magazine were dismissive when journalists persisted in calling and asking about food trends, but were shocked to discover in the course of some reader research that readers actually shared this intense interest in food trends.

I think the staff at Gourmet should get out a little more.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Beans,

Actually I believe CARVEL was meant to refer to the chain of IceCream stores. Mainly seen them around the northeast. Was one of the few culinary pleasures of my grad school time in the dead mill town of Binghamton NY

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Artifical food coloring featured on the cover of Gourmet is the back of beyond. :angry: When such a magazine ricochets violently from one sort of puplic persona to another, I want to know what orders the owners have been giving the editors. Many editors have taken to concealing their serious content somewhere in the back pages, hoping that their loyal readers will still find it but that it will escape the notice of their illiterate publishers.

Edited by John Whiting (log)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Is this what you're talking about?  It's very CARVEL to me!  :rolleyes:

Yes that's the one. LOL, Carvel... I haven't thought about that for so long. Does it still exist?

JPW, same here. It was back in the day. :smile:

I've had some of the same thoughts about Gourmet myself, and stopped subscribing for a while. I recently ordered a year, to try again.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I want to know what orders the owners have been giving the editors. Many editors have taken to concealing their serious content somewhere in the back pages, hoping that their loyal readers will still find it but that it will escape the notice of their illiterate publishers.

I'm always curious what the publishers/owners are telling the editors at every magazine, and how much credence those demands receive.

I always thought that Gourmet was a publication with the luxury of editorial independence, though.

Beans,

Actually I believe CARVEL was meant to refer to the chain of IceCream stores. Mainly seen them around the northeast. Was one of the few culinary pleasures of my grad school time in the dead mill town of Binghamton NY

Ah.... That explains it! (We didn't have those in Alaska.) Yes, it is very ice cream store like! :laugh:

slamming the cover seems a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, while taking issue with content actually involves reading and thought.

edit: i stand corrected about my thoughts on whether or not ruth decides on the cover. i'm told by an expert there's a very good chance that she probably does. i can't imagine what was going through her head, what with putting out a festive cover reminiscent of Easter. :unsure:

Edited by tommy (log)

She's the editor. While others may have input, I'd be surprised if a cover went out the door that she had not had a major hand in developing, and which she had not approved.

Edit to add: didn't see your addendum before posting.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Has anyone seen any of RRs specials for FoodTV? Her taste in covers matches her taste in apparel. :hmmm:

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

I'm probably going to be considered a rube or something...but I thought the cover was cute. Better than another picture of a city that we don't have the time or money to visit, or a dish I would never cook. And who cares about RR's dress sense?

Edit: yes, most colors used by pastry chefs are artificial.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I'm probably going to be considered a rube or something...but I thought the cover was cute.  Better than another picture of a city that we don't have the time or money to visit, or a dish I would never cook.  And who cares about RR's dress sense?

If it makes you feel better, I liked the cover the as well. I thought it was fun - those cupcakes would be a total hit at a kids party. I even think adults would be psyched to see them. Plus, green is my favorite color.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'm probably going to be considered a rube or something...but I thought the cover was cute.  Better than another picture of a city that we don't have the time or money to visit, or a dish I would never cook.  And who cares about RR's dress sense?

If it makes you feel better, I liked the cover the as well. I thought it was fun - those cupcakes would be a total hit at a kids party. I even think adults would be psyched to see them. Plus, green is my favorite color.

But ladies, does it really say GOURMET to you? To me, it says Ladies' Home Journal. Besides, I needed sunglasses to look at it for more than a few seconds.

I'm still at a loss about who Gourmet thinks its readers are. The "What's Next" spread, for instance, includes a bunch of stuff that seems dated already, including a piece on the Slow Food movement, heralding it as the next big thing.

Could be wrong, but I'd think that people who are educated, affluent and care enough about food to subscribe to a magazine would have heard about Slow Food quite a while ago.

Just read the issue, it sounds more like what will be hitting the mass markets in 2004, not what the culinary community (including enthusiastic amateurs) regard as "new trends".

We've known about French Laundry's donuts, the "new retro" style, the "faux blue-collar" thing, and most of the other items under "What's Next" for quite some time. And well, Slow Food has been around for what, 5-10 years now?

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Gourmet magazine is completely irrelevant to anything except advertizing. It does that well.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM