• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mary Sia's Chinese Cookbook

caroline

Anyone remember seeing Mary Sia's Chinese Cookbook (1956) in its spiral binding and yellow cover published by the University of Hawaii Press? Jackie Newman who has the largest collection of English-language cookbooks in world once told me that this was one of the best. Now in the latest issue of her journal on Chinese food, Flavor and Fortune, there's an article by her son, Calvin Sia.

it's the story of how his mother, born in Hawaii to parents who were both physicians, took a degree in Home Economics at UH, married and lived with her husband in Beijing for fifteen years, then returned to Hawaii in the late 1930s when conditions there became dangerous, and taught Chinese cooking at the YWCA, and to the military, university and many local people, as well as offering tours of Chinatown.

Calvin Sia is Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Hawaii. And I never knew when I was there. But the more I learn about food in Hawaii (thanks Wesza and all the rest of you) the more fascinating it is,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Rachel,

Sorry, don't really know about the cookbook.

However, the Sias are considered the "first family" of pediatrics in Hawai`i. I believe that Calvin is now retired, but his son Michael is a pediatrician at Kapiolani and on the UH faculty. Both are fellows of the American Academy of Pediatrics - only a handful of people in Hawai`i have received that honor. . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Looked it upon on the web, and it seems UH press issued three editions - 1956, 1972, and 1984. Seems about the right time for a fourth edition, no?

There also seem to be plenty of used copies available. Here's the Amazon link (which in turn links to various used bookshops).

Mary Sia's Chinese Cookbook

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Well, I have resolved to actually try using my copy which has been sitting on my shelves for years.

But it raises an interesting if rather abstract question that applies not just to Hawaii but to other areas with immigrant populations. And that is, how much does the cooking of the immigrants change to keep up with changes in (or new information about) the cooking in their country of origin. here we have Mary Sia coming back from Bejing and (according to her son) adding northern dishes to her cookbook and to her classes thus enriching the repertoire of the Hawaii Chinese from Canton. I have the impression that the same kind of thing happened with the Japanese in Hawaii but never had the chance to nail it down,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Oh and interesting that the Sia's continue to be so distinguished in pediatrics. And of course that would have given added credibility to Mary Sia's book. Though interestingly it is a very practical book and very much home not banquet cooking.

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

• 2 months later...

We had a hard cover, autographed copy of Mrs. Sia's cookbook and I remember paging through the recipes as a child. They were fairly basic but sounded delicious on paper...although as a child, I remember not liking Chinese food! I've since changed my mind, of course. Dr. Sia was also our pediatrician for many years. I've asked my mother to save the cookbook for me as I think it represents a very interesting moment in history.