• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife sharpening in northern NJ

tommy

i care way too much about my knives to have them go dull. i'm also way too lazy to sharpen them on my own.

does anyone know of a place in northern NJ where i can get them sharpened? i know Chefs Central does, but i wasn't pleased with their results. i know there are some places that i can send them to via mail, but i'm not interested in that.

there *must* be a place that sharpens knives. :unsure:

I bought into the Lansky sharpening system this year, and for the 30 bucks it cost me, I've been pretty happy with the results. It takes a little bit of time, but the system itself is pretty foolproof. Would you sharpen your own, if time permitted?

sorry, I did not originally see that you had no interest in doing your own. :wacko:

woodburner

Edited by woodburner (log)

I am looking forward to it eagerly.I recently went out and bought a Chef's Choice 110 electric knife sharpener upon realizing that years of using a manual sharpener hads just about ruined my knives. I could run my finger along the blade and it was like running your finger along a fine toothed comb. At least now I'm no longer chopping veggies and carving roasts with a blunt instrument.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Is Kitchen Kapers in north Jersey or just in south Jersey? They do knife sharpening. They send them out, with a couple of days turnaround time. I've never had mine done there, so I can't vouch for the quality of the job.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

At the risk of getting slapped around, ----I used to take my knives to the front walk to have them sharpened. There was a little guy with his own cart and a foot peddled stone. For pennies, (it seemed) he would do a great job. However, I haven't seen him in years.

Sorry -- I'm no help.

Yeah, that's the seltzer man's brother and the milk man's cousin. :-))

I'm with you Tommy. I go to Korin Knives on Warren St. or have one of the cooks do the deed for the 6 times a year I actually use a knife.

I have a service I use called Master Grinding. They rotate my knifes. All my chef's have two sets and they are sent out weekly so they have a fresh set each week.

Master Grinding has two locations, Rockaway on some side street I can't remember and Rt 53 North in Denville. Ask for Chris or John.

Oy, if you can't find a place to do your knives locally, spend the $70 bucks and get a Chef's Choice 110. Jeez, I can't believe I'm saying this.

But the Chef's Choice is a good buy and wont fuck up your knives too badly. It does a good job. If you're feeling particularly flush, get the Chef's Choice 310 for another $20 or so. Just read the fucking directions!

Buy 'em books and they chew on the covers . . .

:rolleyes:

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Oy, if you can't find a place to do your knives locally, spend the $70 bucks and get a Chef's Choice 110. Jeez, I can't believe I'm saying this.

i can't believe you're saying it either, as now i have no choice but to slap you around.

on a related note, i see that the 310 lists for $70, and the 110 lists for $100. what's the story?

Edited by tommy (log)

i can't believe you're saying it either, as now i have no choice but to slap you around.

on a related note, i see that the 310 lists for $70, and the 110 lists for $100. what's the story?

Ack, I just checked, the EdgeSelect 120 replaces the 110. The the 310 is a lesser model. My mistake. Sorry 'bout that.

The 110 has three wheels, the first of which grinds a very aggressive 15 degree back bevel. The third wheel is for final polish. The 120 replaces the third wheel with a belt -- kind of like stropping. My bad.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Ack, I just checked, the EdgeSelect 120 replaces the 110, not the 310. My mistake. Sorry 'bout that.

The 110 has three wheels, the first of which grinds a very aggressive 15 degree back bevel. The third wheel is for final polish. The 120 replaces the third wheel with a belt -- kind of like stropping. My bad.

Chad

at the risk of verging completely off-topic, and then having to slap myself around, which one is the best in your opinion. i'm not concerned with cost. i'm concerned with ease of use and results.

at the risk of verging completely off-topic, and then having to slap myself around, which one is the best in your opinion. i'm not concerned with cost. i'm concerned with ease of use and results.

I don't have much hands-on experience with either model. My guess would be that the 120 would work a little better, if only because it has a stropping belt for the third stage.

It'll take a little practice, so if you get a Chef's Choice try it out on a cheap knife first just to get a feel for the machine.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I have brought knifes to Classic Thyme in Westfield to have them sharpened. A long way from Ridgewood but if your going let me know and I'll meet you for a beer and some ribs at Famous Dave's in Mountainside while you wait for your knives to be done. Just a suggestion. Or you could drop off the knives and go looking for those people to slap around. :smile:

Our local Montclair hardware store, Zaentz on Bloomfield Avenue, sends out knives to be sharpened. I'm not an expert, but i had it done around a year ago and i think they did a pretty good job. Check it out when you're in Montclair next time.