• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting a fresh ham

halland

I'm roasting a 20 pound fresh ham (un-cured, bone-in, skin-on) for New Years this year with a Cuban bitter orange and garlic sauce. This is a recipe from Saveur from a while ago. The recipe states to cut off the skin and then score the fat. Does anyone know how deeply I'm supposed to score the fat? Down to the meat layer? Also, I'm wondering what kind of pan to put this in? How much fat is it going to give off? Tablespoons? Cups? Pints?

Hal

I'm roasting a 20 pound fresh ham (un-cured, bone-in, skin-on) for New Years this year with a Cuban bitter orange and garlic sauce. This is a recipe from Saveur from a while ago. The recipe states to cut off the skin and then score the fat. Does anyone know how deeply I'm supposed to score the fat? Down to the meat layer? Also, I'm wondering what kind of pan to put this in? How much fat is it going to give off? Tablespoons? Cups? Pints?

Hal

I haven't had a excuse to Roast a Whole Fresh Ham Recently, but it's always been one of my favorites. Especially if theres any left overs.

Weather you leave the external fat on or butcher it off is a personal option. But eather way it okay to only score to the exterior surface of the meat, sort of where the resilent bounces back to the tip of your knife. Again how or if you score is optional.

In Roasting a whole ham I recommend setting it up elevated enough on a wire grill [can be done using plates or whatever] that you can put a chicken stock or water bath underneath. As its roasting this will catch all the drippings and juices to be the base for your gravy or au jus after you've strained or skimmed the fat. If you wish you may add celery and onions for flavor.

Place your ham in the pan for roasting and Roast at 225 degrees begining with the shin side up. if you have a oven probe insert or check the internal temperture with a thermometer. when the temperture is about 110 degrees rotate the ham and cook until it reaches 125/130 degress. Rotate again and raise the oven temperature to 325 degrees and cook until 145 degrees. The exterior should be nicely Browned and the Ham will be moist and tender.

Remove from oven and let set for at least 15/20 minutes. The temperature should rise about 10 degrees during this period cooking the ham throughout.

While the ham is setting prepare your Au Jus or Gravy from the drippings, slice and enjoy.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Hal

Chris Schlesinger, in his book How to Cook Meat, describes this method, (though the skin is left on):

"Using a sharp knife, score the entire surface of the ham in a cross-hatch pattern, cutting just down through the skin to the flesh underneath. (If you are cutting to the right depth, the skin will spread apart a bit, as you cut)"

woodburner

Perhaps I'm using an incorrect analogy, but when I cook duck breast, I always score the fat, but never all the way down to the flesh. If you do, the flesh has a tendency to dry out. Maybe fresh ham is different, but if so, I'd like for somebody to tell me why. More internal fat, maybe?

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Perhaps I'm using an incorrect analogy, but when I cook duck breast, I always score the fat, but never all the way down to the flesh. If you do, the flesh has a tendency to dry out. Maybe fresh ham is different, but if so, I'd like for somebody to tell me why. More internal fat, maybe?

THW

My interpretation from Schlesinger is that the flesh is the fat, lying below the skin.

The meat would be the next layer down.

woodburner

My interpretation from Schlesinger is that the flesh is the fat, lying below the skin.  The meat would be the next layer down.

Woodburner;

My impression (not based on any scientific information) has always been that fat is fat, and "flesh" is muscle. Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time :laugh:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Friends of mine and I have done fresh ham several times using a Chinese friend's recipe. It is really more of a braise than a roast but it sounds like it would be delicious with the sour orange garlic treatment. (I have got to try that. I have used a similar mix on pork butt using the Goya brand sour orange.) We don't use the whole ham but the shank portion and leave the skin on. The skin is not scored and the ham is tied with butcher's twine to keep the skin in place. You put it in a big covered pot (we use a big Le Creuset) and add the braising liquid. Cover and cook at 275 for about 6 hours. When you serve it it is more like pulled pork than pork roast. You peel back the skin and the fat under there is this wonderful, almost liquid treat. The lucky ones get some scoops of fat served with the meat.

If I am going for more of a "pork roast" I would do it like wesza said.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My interpretation from Schlesinger is that the flesh is the fat, lying below the skin.  The meat would be the next layer down.

Woodburner;

My impression (not based on any scientific information) has always been that fat is fat, and "flesh" is muscle. Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time :laugh:.

THW

Trim off ham's outer skin and score fat about ½ inch deep in a diamond pattern. Put ham in a roasting pan and set aside.

Pierna De Puerco Asada

woodburner

Woodburner; I think you're right and I'm wrong. I did a google on "flesh definition" and the first one that came up (from hyperdictionary.com) says

"the soft tissue of the body of a vertebrate; mainly muscle tissue and fat."

I stand corrected.

THW

Woodburner; I think you're right and I'm wrong. I did a google on "flesh definition" and the first one that came up (from hyperdictionary.com) says

"the soft tissue of the body of a vertebrate; mainly muscle tissue and fat."

I stand corrected.

THW

Actually, I think I'm wrong. :blink:

woodburner

• 1 year later...

Fresh ham is great -- easy, serves lots of people, and inexpensive! I've made a couple lately with the following herb rub -- everyone loved it:

All measurements approximate and imminently substitute-able, I'm sure:

2 T. chopped fresh rosemary

2 T. chopped fresh sage

10 garlic cloves, peeled

1 T. fennel seeds

1 1/2 T. coarse salt

1 T. cracked black pepper

1 T. dry white wine

1 T. olive oil

In a food processor, buzz the dry ingredients, including garlic, until finely minced. Add wine and olive oil; process to a coarse paste. Rub on fresh ham or pork roast. Roast immediately or let marinate overnight in fridge.

I found my "recipe" and see it's based on an Epicurious.com dish.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child