• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Buying Blog

Varmint

I think that I need to invest in a good sharpener as well.

Say hello to my little friend.

given the amount of money these babies cost

and the time between sharpenings assuming you steel your blade regularly,

isn't it better to just get it sharpened professionally?

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I think that I need to invest in a good sharpener as well.

given the amount of money these babies cost and the time between sharpenings assuming you steel your blade regularly, isn't it better to just get it sharpened professionally?

Expensive? It's only 125 bucks for the Apex model. That's not all that much money.

As for professional sharpening... it's always the best thing provided you have someone who really knows what they're doing sharpening your knives. The chances of that? Around 5%.

--

I'm afraid once you try a japanese knife with a western style handle you'll never look back. I bought a bunch of Hattori's about 3 months ago and they are beyond reproach. While lighter than my Henckel Pro S were, they are very accurate and easily controlled.

Chad has one of these knives too I beleive, maybe he can chime in. Chad how would you rate the sharoness of the MUllin to the Hattori? Also the place I bought it from has a 10 day no questions asked return policy.

The Hattori chef's knife is pretty amazing. I like it a lot. Out-of-the-box sharpness was incredible, but I plan on taking the edge down a couple of degrees just to see what it'll take.

Dean, if the handle on the Mullin is a little small for you but you like Japanese style knives, you might consider a Hattori or one of the Misono or Nenox gyotous -- they have beefy, western-style handles that might fit your mitts a little better.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Dean, how do you hold a knife?

Sam, I generally use a pinch grip for 95% of what I do. But I occasionally hold the knife back on the handle a bit, and that's when I want something just a touch bigger. Mind you, I'm getting very, very finicky here.

Ultimately, it's quite simple: I most definitely need a better sharpening system.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm in love with my new Wusthof knives. :biggrin: I always chop the bacon before frying when making bacon bits. In the past, I've always used kitchen shears cause it was just easier. I used my Chef's knife today and I couldn't believe how easily it cut through the bacon and chopped.

And the bread knife? Oh my.

I'm finding things to make just so I can use my knives :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Your little friend appears to live about 15 miles short of my dad's house. Maybe I'll have to stop in and say hi on my next trip out there, only about an hour away.

btw, I got my knives "professionally" sharpened at a cutlery store once and it was totally a waste of money. I agree that if you know the person is good it's well worth it. But that can be like finding an honest mechanic.

Or do you tend to hold it mostly on the handle? If the latter, you might consider switching to a "pinch grip" as shown above. It provides much better control. Also, for knives that don't have a bolster (and I think that applies to Chad's Mullin), you can "choke up" on the blade even more than the picture shows. I also tend to hold my thumb and forefinger much further down the blade, closer to the edge.

I use the pinch grip as well, but somedays it really eats into my finger, especially with some knives more than others. Even though I have a callous built up, it still often hurts. Anyone know if there's a rubber thing you can buy to soften that part of the knife. I've considered seeing if I could invent one. Holding a knife that way works so much better, but sometimes I switch just because it's starting to hurt. And I'm chopping daily.

I use the pinch grip as well, but somedays it really eats into my finger, especially with some knives more than others.  Even though I have a callous built up, it still often hurts.  Anyone know if there's a rubber thing you can buy to soften that part of the knife.  I've considered seeing if I could invent one.  Holding a knife that way works so much better, but sometimes I switch just because it's starting to hurt.  And I'm chopping daily.

You need to do the spine modification detailed in The Way of the Knife and in the eGCI Knife Maintenance & Sharpening tutorial. It's easy, painless and makes the knife considerably more comfortable to use.

I rounded the spine on the knife that Dean is currently using. Maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts on how effective it is.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

If you like Sam's friends, you may have an interest in my friend as well. I have had the diamond kit for many years and find it to be not only servicable, but idiot proof (this does not imply that I am an idiot, but it does imply that someone who is accused of being one uses it regularly with great success) as well.

The cost varies with the type you order and frankly the stone system works almost as well (another idiot in my family has one) and is about half the cost.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Anyone know if there's a rubber thing you can buy to soften that part of the knife. I've considered seeing if I could invent one. Holding a knife that way works so much better, but sometimes I switch just because it's starting to hurt. And I'm chopping daily.

maybe this will help:

http://www.epoxy.com.pk/steel.htm

Steel Epoxy, you can add in the grip of your dreams, not just round the edges.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I had the opportunity to use Chad's knife a bit more yesterday. I dazzled the L'il Varmints as I sliced a tomato using only the weight of the knife. I think the blade scares them a bit because of its sharpness. I also did a bit more chopping, but nothing heavy duty. I made a gratin, but I had to break out my new mandoline to slice the spuds.

As I stated previously, no matter what knife I get, I need to be sure that I also buy a decent sharpening system.

The Masahiro looks sweet. What do you know about them?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Sharpening System = Japanese Wetstones

I got some of these for my dad this Christmas and was messing around with them. They are not nearly as hard to learn as some would have you believe. They put a wicked edge and give you complete control.

There is a reason why any sushi chef worth his salt uses these religiously.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

In my parallel knife search, I made it to Alameda today to visit the Japan Woodworker ( japanwoodworker.com ). I am fairly lo-tech so I won't be posting photos but if anything piques your interest there are photos at their site.

On the way out of my price range area I got to see the $1,200 Hattori chefs knife that has been posted previously on this site. I expected it to look shinier in person than the photos but it is fairly grey and sort of looks like a circuit board. Perhaps if i hit the lotto this year....

Also quite nice were the Fujiwara knives but with the 8 1/4" chefs knives at $270-$450 these were above what I am looking to spend.

I was hoping to like the Kiyotsuna knives as having an interesting option at $100 would be very tempting. These knives are "Swedish steel core between two layers of low carbon stainless steel" hardened to R c62. however the handle was just clearly not for me.

Both the Dojo Blue Steel Knives and the Kasui Ink Pattern Knives felt to light for this application so I quickly ruled them out.

Next up were the Ryusen knives. The cobalt alloy knife had a metal handle which I disliked and was compounded by the handle feeling hollow. The Ryusen Damascus knife was much better and my favorite knife of the day. The handle fit my hand very well and I liked the shape of the blade. Has anyone else ever used one of these? I would love to see one of these next to one of the Hattori's as these seem to be of similar design. I was also curious as to whether this is the same knife as at bladegallery as the pricing was different. If anyone is looking for a heavy Japanese knife, Ryusen has a 9.5" heavy knife that is 3/16" and weighs 16oz- felt like it would be more usefull on a small tree than vegetables.

A big surprise was how much I liked a heavy duty 6 1/2" Atsu Deba knife from Tosagato Hocho. It was heavy, looked well made, the unfinished wrought iron looked much nicer than in photos, the handle was comfortable and at $35 it was very affordable. I wished I had paid more attention to the rest of the line but I was focused on chefs knives. Are there drawbacks to the carbon steel (blue or white) sandwiched between wrought iron?

Semi-related I got to check out my first chisel edge knife (a nice Hirotomo Deba), and the cheaper Masahiro cleavers.

To confuse myself more I stopped by Sur La Table for a second look at Messermeister and a first at Shun. The Shun was pretty nice and had a good feel to it. Not as nice as the Ryusen but still a decent option.

At this stage I find myself wanting the Ryusen, wishing I could see the Hattori, with a solid underlying level of guilt as I doubt my knife skills warrant anything more expensive than a MAC/Messer etc. We need a Korin on th eleft coast as they have a few more options around the $100 mark. Oh, and those Masahiros at knifemerchant sound intriguing too though they look a bit less curved than I like.

Nathan

Edited by Nathan P. (log)

The knife hunt has been put on a temporary hold as I begin the process of renovating my kitchen. I might just start a separate thread on that! However, I'm looking forward to using Chad's knife some more in the next few days.

Has anyone used the Masahiro?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

The knife hunt has been put on a temporary hold as I begin the process of renovating my kitchen. I might just start a separate thread on that! However, I'm looking forward to using Chad's knife some more in the next few days.

Has anyone used the Masahiro?

I bought myself one for Christmas -- this was the MV stainless 9.5" gyutou. First impressions -- sharp, holds an edge, stains quite easily. But it is too early to give a proper answer.

Varmint, I haven't used the Masahiro. I just tossed it into the mix to be confusing :blink:.

Given your preferences and reactions so far, I suspect that you'll end up with a Japanese-style knife with a western handle, but that's just a guess. I got a 240mm Hattori chef's knife for Christmas that's pretty amazing. I know CRUZMISL has a set of these as well. There are some great pictures in his Knife-a-holic thread.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Chad, I'm very happy with my Hattori's (as you know) . I checked out the knife merchant website and was intrigued by the Nenox knives. I'm looking for a slicer and was thinking about the 9'' Slicer ''Sujihiki''. Any thoughts on this maker?

Joe

All this knife talk to ruining my productivity and severely effecting my finances. I just picked up a Hattori Santoku on eBay. Now I'm looking at cleavers and paring knives and god knows what else. I.... can't.... stop.....

All this knife talk to ruining my productivity and severely effecting my finances. I just picked up a Hattori Santoku on eBay. Now I'm looking at cleavers and paring knives and god knows what else. I.... can't.... stop.....

argh! i envy you rich folks.

i'm right now planning to get a 11" Drop forged Global Chef's Knife.

Do I really need it? nah..it's even bigger than my chopping board. Why do i want it?

ahahah Cuz i wanted a 8" Chef's Knife but for a little more i get the 11" and besides, I already have a 6" Santoku.

Chad, I'm very happy with my Hattori's (as you know) . I checked out the knife merchant website and was intrigued by the Nenox knives. I'm looking for a slicer and was thinking about the 9'' Slicer ''Sujihiki''. Any thoughts on this maker?

Joe

I only know Nenox knives by reputation, which is very good. I haven't used one, but the handle shape looks very nice. Has anybody else owned or played with a Nenox?

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Shit, someone just tell me which knife to buy -- Japanese blade, western handle, $150. K? :raz: Oh, and I need to be able to return it within 10 days!

a large 12" Global Chef's Knife

and tell me how it went :)

I actually tried the 12" Global, but I thought the blade was too flat. That is, most of the knife's edge sits on the cutting board. I want a bit more (not a lot) of a curve to support a rocking style of chopping.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I have really started enjoying Kershaw Shun Classic knives,damascus steel,16 layers a side,beautiful (and very hard)pakka wood handels.

I grew up in the biz with mostly henkels,although I love them,these blades from Seki Japan are the sharpest i've come across.Globals are also very nice,you need to be sure your comfortable with there handle,also very light weight (unlike henkels)

I recieved two Kershaw Shun knives from my wife for Christmas (Spurred on by the knife-a-holic thread - thanks guys). 10 inch (or about that) chefs and a paring knife.

My wife has smallish hands and wanted a knife that she feels comfortable using (she is not the cook around our house, but wants to learn knife skils) so she bought herself the santouko. I have never liked santouko style knives myself, but this has become the knife I grab out of the rack as opposed to the 10 inch. It is really sharp and I love the handles on all three.

Bill Russell