• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top 10 LA Neighboorhood Restaurants

quesaxa

I'm looking for your top ten list of LA neighborhood restaurants. You know, the small chef owned and operated, closed one day a week, no more than 20 tables places where the food is terrific and the prices are moderate to cheap eat. I miss New York and Washington DC so much, I am looking for that kind of feel. For a DC reference, I am talking about KUNA, Sigh Thai, Pizza Paradiso and Taqueria Poblano. No chain restaurants please (at least no more than two locations) Thanks for your help!

Is this for an article, or for your own eatification? This month's Los Angeles Magazine has a fair list of Cheap Eats places. Jonathan Gold (and Michelle Huneven) regularly list such places in the LA Weekly (available online). And, of course, Chowhound thrives on such listings--just keep scrolling.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I'm just a food lover who has moved to the LA area after living on the East Coast. If I hear one more person tell me to eat at Chipotle, California Pizza Kitchen, or the Cheesecake Factory for a great meal, I think I am going to cry. Thanks for your advice!

Sounds like you've been talking to our local Zagat voters. They'd probably tell you P.F. Changs is good for Chinese as well (not). The LA Times (on Wednesdays) has a food section that JFL digests here that also talks about such spots but the Times demographic is more interested in not so cheap places--or maybe it's just related to advertizing? Which neighborhood are you in and which do you work in? Might be easier to go that way. Or, is there some particular type of stuff you are craving?

Thanks for the plug, Hollywood. Here's the link to the digests. And, if I may suggest, while the weekly reviews by S. I. V. cater to the upscale, the nearly weekly "Counter-Intelligence" column tends to profile places more within the reach of most of us.

It will be really important to know where you are, given the size of LA. Depending on that area, review the recent thread on the Farmer's Market at Fairfax and 3rd. Stay to the original/old market rather than the new Grove addition.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Mario's Peruvian,

and of course, the best roast pork since man crawled out of the swamp - at Versailles.

Edit to add: Houstons (Century city) has some far out ribs, and the best burger in LA.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Thanks for getting me on the right track. I am currently working in Marina Del Ray/Mar Vista. I have yet to buy a new home (currently living with family in Downey), so any suggestions on neighborhoods to find a place to live where I can walk to such wonderful neighborhood restaurants would be appreciated too. If I had to narrow my dining choices, I guess I would exclude Mexican and most Chinese since I can probably find great places w/o too much trouble. Maybe Italian, American or Mediterranean (Turkish, Greek, lebanese, Spanish).

quesaxa, welcome to LA, eGullet, and the California board.

For Lebanese, I like Sunnin near Westwood & Santa Monica and Marouch on Santa Monica at Edgemont. Carousel is supposed to be good also (maybe a little more Armenian), but I haven't been there yet.

For Greek, the one I like best so far is Papa Cristo's at Pico and Normandie.

~Tad

I am currently working in Marina Del Ray/Mar Vista.

My brain's a little foggy right now, but I seem to recall that there's a string of decent cheap places along Venice Blvd in the Culver City/Mar Vista area including Brazilian, Cuban, Indian, etc. The names are escaping me at the moment.

Edited by hollywood (log)

For Lebanese/Mediterranean, you'd better come down to Long Beach for a meal at Open Sesame. On Second Street in Belmont Shore between Nieto and Corona. I know there are others on this board who will agree with this recommendation.

And while you're in Belmont Shore, check out Cafe Gazelle on La Verne. A terrific little neighborhood gem. We're talking eight tables or so in this tiny Italian place.

Good luck in your quest. Post any good finds back here!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

My brain's a little foggy right now, but I seem to recall that there's a string of decent cheap places along Venice Blvd in the Cuver City/Mar Vista area including Brazilian, Cuban, Indian, etc.  The names are escaping me at the moment.

hollywood, could you be referring to Zabumba, Cafe Brasil, Versailles, and Chandhi?

My brain's a little foggy right now, but I seem to recall that there's a string of decent cheap places along Venice Blvd in the Culver City/Mar Vista area including Brazilian, Cuban, Indian, etc.  The names are escaping me at the moment.

hollywood, could you be referring to Zabumba, Cafe Brasil, Versailles, and Chandhi?

You're good. No, really.

As far as Downey goes, it was the home of the Carpenters (hopefully there's no local culinary basis for eating disorders there). There's a place on Lakewood Blvd. called Arthur's Restaurant which is supposed to have good food (burgers, I think). But I've not been there---yet. BTW, that's a pretty stiff commute--Downey to MDR.

As far as Downey goes, it was the home of the Carpenters (hopefully there's no local culinary basis for eating disorders there). There's a place on Lakewood Blvd. called Arthur's Restaurant which is supposed to have good food (burgers, I think). But I've not been there---yet. BTW, that's a pretty stiff commute--Downey to MDR.

Have done the Arthur's burger, and yes, they are worth a shot.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

quesaxa, I just came to the area as well. Here's a thread with takeout type suggestions people gave me.

In addition to the many other suggestions people gave, it's probably worthwhile to go through some of the old threads, since there's tons of recommendations, and none of them include the Cheesecake Factory.

Check out the Thai thread, as there's some debate as to which is the best, although, I've been to Jitlada and loved it.

Also for Mexican, which is close to where you are, check out Guelaguetza (Sepulveda & Palms).

Edited by ErinB (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for getting me on the right track.  I am currently working in Marina Del Ray/Mar Vista.  I have yet to buy a new home (currently living with family in Downey), so any suggestions on neighborhoods to find a place to live where I can walk to such wonderful neighborhood restaurants would be appreciated too.  If I had to narrow my dining choices, I guess I would exclude Mexican and most Chinese since I can probably find great places w/o too much trouble.  Maybe Italian, American or Mediterranean (Turkish, Greek, lebanese, Spanish).

At the risk of infuriating some fellow e-gulleters, I don't think Downey is very rich in good restaurants.

Your whole experience of LA will have so much to do with the area you choose to live, from the vibe of the neighborhood to the proximity of good restaurants and markets to the length of you commute.

I live near West Hollywood/La Cienega, and there are lots of trendy, overprice places, some with good food and some that just suck, but not the kind of places warm neighborhood spots you are talking about.

I think West LA, Food Zealot's neighborhood, is quite good for restaurants. Lots of good japanese, some nice Indian.

There are also some stretches of Sunset/Hollywood around Silver Lake or Echo Park that have lots of nice places to eat.

I lived in Santa Monica when I first moved here. For food, I think Venice is better, especially around Abbot Kinney.

Good Luck!

Edited by mixmaster b (log)

For Lebanese/Mediterranean, you'd better come down to Long Beach for a meal at Open Sesame.  On Second Street in Belmont Shore between Nieto and Corona.  I know there are others on this board who will agree with this recommendation.

You are not kidding, that place is great, my wife and I had a wonderfull meal there this summer, great atmosphere too!

I ate a nice grilled meatloaf sandwhich and some great homemade bean and ham soup at a place called S and W Country Diner in Culver City today for lunch. Its at 9748 Washington Blvd. The place D and D Diner next door looks promising as well. I will have to go back and check them both out some more!

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

• 3 weeks later...
For really, really fine Vietnamese I recommend Pho Cafe in the Silverlake hood.

(Angelenos, chime in. Is it on Sunset?)

Where is Pho Cafe? I work in Silverlake, and I don't think I've ever seen this..

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau

At the risk of infuriating some fellow e-gulleters, I don't think Downey is very rich in good restaurants.

For what it's worth ($0) Downey does have the original McDonald's restaurant. Which I suppose was a "neighborhood restaurant" when it opened way back when...

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau

For really, really fine Vietnamese I recommend Pho Cafe in the Silverlake hood.

(Angelenos, chime in.  Is it on Sunset?)

Where is Pho Cafe? I work in Silverlake, and I don't think I've ever seen this..

Pho Cafe, 2841 W. Sunset Blvd.

Silverlake, CA 90026

213-413-0888

have any of you been to campagnola in westwood? a small, intimate italian restaurant (the owner's from sardinia, but the food isn't). it is quite good and as far as i know has never made it into the zagat. on westwood south of wilshire.

has anyone mentioned empanada's place in mar vista/culver city? cash only but worth a trip.

chandni in santa monica (wilshire and 18th) used to be very good for vegetarian indian.