• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Down Your eGullet - 2003 Italian favorites

Craig Camp

I'll add some Italian ones as well. I'm not looking at a database of notes, but the fact that the wines are bubbling to the surface of the morass that is my brain may mean something.

1999 Romano Clelia "Colli di Lapio" Fiano di Avellino. Anyone looking down their nose at Italian whites needs to try this wine.

2001 Matteo Correggia Roero Arneis. And this one.

1999 Valdicava Rosso di Montalcino. The harmony of fruit, spice, and mineral here was a joy to experience. This RdM dwarfed many CC Riservas for me this year.

1990 G. Mascarello Barolo Monprivato. Good on the first day. Incredible on the second.

1995 Rocca di Fabbri Sagrantino di Montefalco. Terrific structure. Purity of fruit.

1998 La Spinetta Oro. This moscato passito wine has incredible perfume, and vitality. What just about every dessert wine should be.

1991 Avignonesi Vin Santo. Unless the dessert wine happens to be this one.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

These are what I paid retail in Minnesota (with the exception of the last one)

Romano Clelia FdA - $29

Correggia Roero Arneis - $18

Valdicava RdM - $24

G. Mascarello Monprivato - $40 (but years ago, when it was released)

Rocca di Fabbri SdM - $24

La Spinetta Oro - $30 for 500ml

Avignonesi - $225 for 375ml on the wine list at Babbo (someone else buying)

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

As long as we can consider wines not released this year, my favourites would be as follows (no particular order):

1997 Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino Riserva ($119CAD)

1997 Borgogno Barolo Classico Riserva ($68CAD)

1998 d'Angelo Aglianico del Vulture (~ $22CAD)

1989 Pio Cesare Barolo (was brought to dinner by guests)

1999 Pecchenino Dolcetto di Dogliani Siri d'Jermu (traded for it, but ~ $18USD?)

1997 Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino Riserva (had at a Brunello dinner - $115CAD)

1997 Castello di Monastero Chianti Classico Riserva ($33CAD)

1995 Dal Forno Valpolicella Superiore (was brought to dinner by guests)

Avignonesi Vin Santo is one of my alltime favorite wines. Has anyone seen the 1991 vintage retail?

Craig,

Nice article as always. I want to try to find some of the Conterno. It sounds wonderful.

I found your Vino e Cibo tours very interesting as well. I'm sure they will be fabulous.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Another Vin Santo to seek out is the Querciabella 1990 "Orlando"

They only made this wine in 1990 naming it after Sebatianos son in his birth year.

Wonderful flavors of dried fruit and vanilla. Starting to dry out a bit now,but still showing a beautiful sweet spice.

Worth finding. It's about $75.00 for a 375 ml.

Great choice Craig,

Also would like to add the Don Antonio, Morgante, Sicily 2000.

Thanks and a great year to all.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Avignonesi Vin Santo is one of my alltime favorite wines. Has anyone seen the 1991 vintage retail?

About 6 offerings, ranging from $120 to $150 per half bottle.

In Switzerland, I must concede. :hmmm:

Happy new year!

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Here are some that stuck out as being realy good

Noa 2000

Pieropan Calvarino 2001 and their regular Soave 2002 which I have drunk a case of in the last 4 months :smile:

Querciabella Chianti Classico 2001 at a steak place in Rome

Taurasi by Feudi San Gregorio 96