• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fear of BSE

Pan

As many of you know, we've been having a thread on BSE in the U.S. But this thread isn't about the news. Rather, I'm curious to know how many of you are avoiding beef and beef products since the news broke. I'd also like to hear from Canadians, Brits, and anyone else who's had any reason to consider whether s/he may be at risk from BSE.

For my part, I have in fact avoided beef and beef products since the news broke, but that's only a few days ago. I'll follow developments, but I can't predict in advance how long I'll hold out on being beefless.

Michael aka "Pan"

I am not avoiding beef or beef products. However, my family produces its own beef and we have a custom meat packer in my hometown. So, we provide our own beef.

Also, I will not be avoiding beef or its products from the grocery store. IMO, I am still at greater risk of choking, being shot, dying from MRSA, or overdosing on caffeine. What I will be doing, though, is writing several letters to the USDA and FDA about wanting some change because I don't see any reason that there should have been as large of a beef recall if there were a few more steps in the process of certifying "downer" cows as safe for consumption.

Edit to add: In honor of this thread, I am eating a hamburger for breakfast. Moo moo buccaroo

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I haven't been avoiding it. Last night at the grocery store, there was a woman whose cart was absolutely loaded with beef. Is it on sale?

Noise is music. All else is food.

jsolomon, what's MRSA?

Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It is a bacteria that is immune to most, if not all, of the US's last-ditch-effort antibiotics. Not good stuff at all.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I'm Canadian, and I have NOT been avoiding beef since our single Mad cow instance and I don't intend to start now. I'd starve :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Have exxed brains and eggs from my awful offal, as SO calls it(calls it, but eats it). But they've actually been off list awhile now. I am like jsolomon in my situation-up till now we've been way more concerned with CWD from game. But I am afraid my view is like John Whiting, Varmint, Mayhaw Man, and others. If there's a chance of incubating for up to seven years, then who knows? I've always watched dodgy food. That won't change.

There was only one mad cow in Canada?

Yes, the rest of our cows are just surly :biggrin: Seriously, yes, we had one instance of mad cow here a while back which resulted in the US banning all Canadian beef. Note we did not do the same to the US during your recent mad cow experience, which of course, they are now claiming came from Canada :angry:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

jsolomon, what's MRSA?

Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It is a bacteria that is immune to most, if not all, of the US's last-ditch-effort antibiotics. Not good stuff at all.

I think I just read that it cannot be killed by heat either.

I was under the impression that the muscle flesh was not involved --- that destroying the animals was to stop the infection from spreading to other animals --- not us. Was I wrong?

Last night I ate hamburg because DH wanted his favorite meal for dinner. (Hamburgers, mashed potatoes and canned peas. Do you see what I'm up against? Being married to a Dinty Moore/Chef-boy-Ardee gourmet, is not very challenging!)

Actually, beef is at the bottom of my meat likes, but I don't plan on avoiding it.

We had hamburgers a couple nights ago. Last night I made beef and potato stew, but I haven't had any yet except a bite to taste it. My fiance did though. I plan on having some for lunch.

And on Christmas, my mom's family served roast beef. It was great!

So no, I guess we're not afraid of it.

jsolomon, what's MRSA?

I think I just read that it cannot be killed by heat either.

I think you are confusing Staph with its toxin. Dead staph + staph toxin still cause illness/death. But, if there isn't enough toxin to cause illness/death, then heat is certainly an adequate safeguard. I forget if its 140F or 160F or 180F, though.

There was only one mad cow in Canada?

Yes, the rest of our cows are just surly :biggrin: Seriously, yes, we had one instance of mad cow here a while back which resulted in the US banning all Canadian beef. Note we did not do the same to the US during your recent mad cow experience, which of course, they are now claiming came from Canada :angry:

Amazing. And yes, I did note that. Canada is way underappreciated in the U.S., but that's all I'll say in this thread, since there's the other one to talk about news.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm actually anxiously awaiting the upcoming drop in beef prices due to other countries refusing to import. As soon as prices get a bit more reasonable I'll go out and buy a couple whole tenderloins to freeze. So, no, I'm not avoiding beef in the least. I, too, figure there's a better chance of getting hit by lightning, run down by a bus, etc. Mmmmm, beef.