• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

M&Ms lose all color

tommy

Oh, thank goodness...I'd been avoiding eating M&M's because of the fear of coming across a candy coating that clashed with whatever I was wearing that day.

Black and white go with EVERYTHING I own! (hey, I live in NYC).

K, off to buy a pack for breakfast.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Is this so different from Coke playing games with their soda, bringing back the old bottles and finally 'settling' on Classic Coke to 'appease' the protestors?

Whatever works --- works. Someone in marketing is going places if M&Ms gets attention.

But as I said ---- put some peanuts inside and I'll eat any color.

Mabelline:

Seriously, I would email the company. They may not do what you want, but you're likely to get a courteous reply from them, and possibly even a coupon or something.

When I was about 15 I remember a friend of mine went on a rant because M&M's always advertised, "melts in your mouth, not in your hands" -- and of course the stuff always got all over your hands. So she wrote to them asking how they could advertise like that when it was obviously so untrue. And they wrote back a very nice letter saying that their advertising slogan was "M&M's MILK CHOCOLATE melts in your mouth, not in your hands." The stuff that was melting in her hands was the candy coating, not the milk chocolate.

:rolleyes::raz:

Michael aka "Pan"

Does this mean that there won't be Valentine's day colored M&M's? They are my favorite!!!

Going to have to use skittles this year when I teach fractions. Oh well....

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

You've always been able to custom order a variety of colors --including black and white.

Get yer custom colors here

I almost convinced my wife to do these for our wedding. Almost. I ended up tying little soaps in that meshy stuff with little ribbons. I still think elegant little foil/mylar envelopes of M&Ms in our colors would have been well recieved, and not left to moulder under the bathroom sink. Plus we had too many. People would have enjoyed and cleaned out the candy.

Anyone need some little heart shaped glycerine soaps?

BTW, I have also seen these at tailgate parties and other sports events. They really do work in that situation.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

In the darkness of the movie theatre you can't tell the difference between black and white anyways.  :laugh:

Jason, how profound!

Maybe M&M's could use "Ebony and Ivory" as the jingle for their new product!! :wink:

It's not like the black and white are permanent. Although apparently we have to watch "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve" to find out the rest (good lord... why ELSE would you want to watch that show?)

I don't think any company would dare use a Michael Jackson song in their promotions now!

Ebony & Ivory was a Paul McCartney song, not a Michael Jackson song. And the "ebony" part of the singing was Stevie Wonder.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

But doesn't Jackson own all the McCartney copywrights?

yeah, but i don't think many people think of Michael when they hear Let It Be, for example. thank goodness.

i remember back in the 80's when paul was about the 3rd richest entertainer on the planet. he's fallen back considerably. it's a shame he couldn't secure those publishing rights. i wonder if he likes M&Ms.

I don't think any company would dare use a Michael Jackson song in their promotions now!

Ebony & Ivory was a Paul McCartney song, not a Michael Jackson song. And the "ebony" part of the singing was Stevie Wonder.

That's good, if it had been MJ they would have had to change the lyrics and title to "Eggshell and Ivory." :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Oh yeah.

I confused that with Michael's song where he sings "it doesn't matter whether you're black or white".

Am I the only one who is wondering how they will know if you buy some colored ones now, and add them to your bag of B&W's in the spring...? Do you suppose they will track the 6 bags?

all of your questions will be answered tonite on Dick Clark's Rockin New Years, 10/9c on ABC.

bit i'm guessing the bag is what will win you the prize.

Edited by tommy (log)

Am I the only one who is wondering how they will know if you buy some colored ones now, and add them to your bag of B&W's in the spring...? Do you suppose they will track the 6 bags?

Not sure if you are the only wondering this, but yes, they will track them. You can refer to the historical document "Charlie and the Chocolate factory" for proof of this.

You can refer to the historical document "Charlie and the Chocolate factory" for proof of this.

Ha ha ha...did you know they are planning to remake the movie?

tim burton and johnny depp. awesome.

Remake? You just scared the crap out of me, fortunately I read further before posting this. The documentary C&TCF is a one of my all time favorite movies.

Tim Burton, Jonny Depp? This could be awesome.

Not sure if you are the only wondering this, but yes, they will track them. You can refer to the historical document "Charlie and the Chocolate factory" for proof of this.

The bags are serialized -- for example mine is imprinted "344BL24" . Presumbably the identity of the "colored" bags of black and whites is stored in a secure location.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Is there a difference between the "documentary C&TCF" and the Gene Wilder movie - Willy Wonka?

Here's the remake link:

Movie stuff

the first movie is based on the book C&TCF, as far as i know. not sure why they're not going with the Willie title for this movie. but you know that time burton, he's a strange one.

Not only is there a remake underway but also theres an IMAX DMR version of the original film coming out, completely digitally remastered.

IMAX DMR fact sheet (Acrobat Reader required)

http://www.vasc.org/images/IMAX/DMR.pdf

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Is there a difference between the "documentary C&TCF" and the Gene Wilder movie - Willy Wonka?

Here's the remake link:

Movie stuff

As for the documentary thing, no. It's a running joke I have with a guy I work with. He was born in England, so I try to convince him that every English related film is a documentary. So when I see a movie and ask him about it, it's prefaced with, "I saw this excellent documentary this weekend, it's called Snatch". And so on.

Some of my favorite English documentaries are: Pink Floyd's The Wall, Formula 51, Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrells, and the Austin Powers series.

Willy Wonka and C&TCF are one and the same. Now, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator are a different tiger.

And I just read the link about the remake. Wow, Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka- this could be smoking.

As for the documentary thing, no.  It's a running joke I have with a guy I work with.  He was born in England, so I try to convince him that every English related film is a documentary.  So when I see a movie and ask him about it, it's prefaced with, "I saw this excellent documentary this weekend, it's called Snatch".  And so on.

Thanks, I wish I could do something like that, with a straight face.