• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast kid?

SFJoe

I'm thinking of doing a whole kid for a party in a couple of weeks. I will have access to an oven that will take a commercial sheet pan, so I figure a 25 lb kid can be jammed in somehow, and the oven also has a "convection" fan, so I figure I can get pretty even cooking.

But I'm wondering:

--what internal temperature should I target? 120*? 140*?

--Any idea how long it will take me to get to that internal temp?

--any suggestions for spicing? I'm thinking some kind of mild spice rub would be good, but I haven't settled.

--Serving suggestions? I'm doing this for a large, informal, standup BBQ with passed plates of food. I'll have some other stuff going around too (baby back ribs from the Weber, quartered bone/out quail from the grill, etc.)

TIA,

Joe

Sorry but I can't give you any help with temps, I usually just take it out of the oven or off the weber when I'm sure it's ready. Again sorry!!! BUT I do usually marinade the kid in red wine, bay leaves, oregano leaves and some whole garlic cloves for about 24 hours before roasting or BBQing :raz: MMMMMMMM TASTY!!!

I hope this helps ya

PS You can also use a curry flavoured rub which is also VERY good with goat

EDITED: to add more :biggrin:

Edited by StInGeR (log)

I want food and I want it now

Did you buy the kid for two Zuzim?

My father got one for two Zuzim at Costco, but then the Angel of Death came, which killed the butcher, which slew the ox, that drank the water that quenched the fire, that burned the stick that beat the dog, which bit that damn cat that ate the kid my father bought for two Zuzim.

Chad gadya, chad gadya

Sorry. :laugh: Too late in the year or too early for Passover humor.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My father got one for two Zuzim at Costco, but then the Angel of Death came, which killed the butcher, which slew the ox, that drank the water that quenched the fire, that burned the stick that beat the dog, which bit that damn cat that ate  the kid my father bought for two Zuzim.

Chad gadya, chad gadya

Sorry.  :laugh: Too late in the year or too early for Passover humor.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

And I have begun to search for a possible hiding place for my afikomen ....

You did frighten me, Jason, when I began to frantically contemplate the Pesach cleaning of the dreaded chometz ...

actually, on the topic of the roasted goat, it seems that Tony Bourdain did something similar on his Cook's Tour in Morocco ... sealing it up inside a mud-topped oven ...

just checked this out and found that he was in search of a lamb to roast, which he did with the Berbers....

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

No, but being the father of three, at times I would have sold a kid for even less.

This is getting waaaaay off track, but you're the one who mentioned "zuzim," which took my pharmacologically-enhanced mind in the direction of one of the world's favorite Messiah-figures who was handed over for 30 pieces of silver:

Coupla months ago I wrote a fairly tart satirical diss of Mel Gibson's new flick on Jesus's death. The column got pretty broad distribution via Religion News Service.

Ironically, just yesterday I got a call from a local self-named group of "progressive fundamentalist intellectuals" to preside over a private screening of Mel's movie here in l'il Greenville -- home of Bob Jones University.

Morbid curiosity and a penchant for bizarre people and situations (although, to date, no whips and chains -- to date, that is) naturally compelled me to respond in the affirmative.

To their even greater delight, I pointed out that I was probably the only person in the SC Upstate who was at all fluent in Aramaic -- which comprises more than half the film's script, the rest in classical Greek, can't help you there. (This credential, of course, is equivalent to being the most noted mezzo soprano in Abilene.)

Meet ya at Golgotha . . .

"A worm that lives in a horseradish thinks it's sweet because it's never lived inside an apple." - My Mother

"Don't grow up to be an educated idiot." - My Father

There was an article (quite a long article, in fact--big news item) in our local weekly paper last week, talking about the opening of a new convenience store in the south end of the county. The store has a "deli" which means they serve frozen pizza, eggrolls, etc. And, according to the paper, "fried children" .

I could ask for their recipe, if you like, as an alternative to roast kid.

sparrowgrass

It's a laff riot here on eG!

But thanks for the help, StInGeR. How do you decide if it's done? Do you cook it rare, MR?

How do you fit it on the Weber? It must be an awfully small kid. I'm told mine will run about 25 lbs, and I didn't think that would work on a grill.

sparrowgrass, my doctor has told me to cut out the fried foods.

For my money, the Portuguese do roast kid better than anyone. Here's a method for preparing from the Trás-os-Montes region:

First, rub the entire prepared kid goat with a paste made from: 1/4-lb. garlic, 1 tbsp. ground black pepper, 3 or 4 tbsp. paprika, and 4 bay leaves. Then marinate in a bottle of white wine for 12 hours.

Stuff with a mixture of:

1 lb. potatoes, cut into small cubes

1/2 lb. of olives (whole, with pits)

1/2 lb. of chorizo, cut into rounds

1/3 lb. of salpicão (another kind of sausage--perhaps you could use soppressata)

1/3 lb. of either an inexpensive prosciutto or slab bacon, cut into cubes

parsley

2 tsp. black pepper

2 whole cloves

2 tbsp. lard

Sew up the cavity with needle and thread.

Roast slowly, brushing with olive oil. This recipe is for spit-roasting, but should work in an oven as long as it's on a rack.

A bit simpler is this interesting-sounding preparation from the Beira Alta region, roast kid goat in the style of leitão (roast suckling pig):

The day before:

For a kid of about 12 lbs., make a paste with a mortar and pestle of:

6 cloves of garlic

parsley

8 black peppercorns

coarse salt (to taste, but don't skimp!)

Then add 1/2 lb. lard and 2 bay leaves broken into small pieces.

Rub the entire goat, inside and out, with the paste and leave it overnight.

While roasting: chop some parsley and add it to 1/3 bottle of white wine, and sprinkle the goat with it periodically.

I have no information on desirable final internal temperature or how long it should roast.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

It's a laff riot here on eG!

But thanks for the help, StInGeR. How do you decide if it's done? Do you cook it rare, MR?

How do you fit it on the Weber? It must be an awfully small kid. I'm told mine will run about 25 lbs, and I didn't think that would work on a grill.

sparrowgrass, my doctor has told me to cut out the fried foods.

I actually got a friend to build me a custom "weber" (god I love friends who are handy) :biggrin: , and he made it for me to be about 2 1/2 in diameter which means I can cook alot more and alot bigger items on it. Whole kids, decent sized suckling pigs etc etc etc.

I usually try to cook kid to about MR (I'm usually a R guy myself), BUT kid is one thing I can't seem to handle rare. Depending on how meaty the kid is I usually give it about 20-25 mins/kg - thats 20-25kg/ 2.2lbs :biggrin:

Hope this helps

Tom

I want food and I want it now