• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: eGullet Pasta Feast

Varmint

Listen, if the 14th is the only viable night for all who want to come can, then I'll concede. I don't want to be the stickler.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

So it turns out because of the mad cow scare, certain beef/veal products are becoming scarce. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the cheeks, but I'm going to check around and see if maybe Cliff's or Whole Food's can special order them for me. Anyone have any suggestions of where I might be able to find these?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Hey, Varmint. I'm still interested in coming, though not committed yet. My schedule's wide open- still free from work at the moment.

I'd be happy to contribute something in the way of salad or veggies, or clean-up. My two pasta machines still have not magically transformed me into a pasta master.

If anyone's interested, I've come across a local (NC) source for water buffalo:

www.nuhorizonsfarm.com

More on them in another post.

They haven't advertised it on their site yet, but it will be available in time for the feast. I'm assured it is similar to venison.

I'd be happy to ask about their cheeks, but as they only have two animals, that would mean 4 cheeks, which I don't know whether that's enough or not nearly.

I'd be happy to ask about their cheeks, but as they only have two animals, that would mean 4 cheeks, which I don't know whether that's enough or not nearly.

Do the cheeks grow back? I'd imagine it would be hard for them to chew without food coming out of the sides of their faces. :blink:

I'm gonna try to make it too, though I won't know until a little closer to the date if I can make it.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Scottie, can you give Cliff's a call about beef cheeks? He has a way of finding things. Also, could you call Fowlers?

Edemuth, Magnolia Grill is a possibility, although something tells me phlawless wouldn't be excited about it. :wink: We'd have to do it on Friday, the 6th, as they're not open on Sundays.

Weka informed me that she and her better half will be here, and she's got a supply of truffles and porcini!!!!!!

Al, you really think you can stay away??

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I found out Cliff's does have cheeks, I'll take care of getting those.

Varmint is correct in assuming that I wouldn't be all that enthusiastic about eating at Mag Grill, though you should by all means go. If I hadn't had dinner there a few weeks back I would have considered it, but I'm not inclined to spend more than the obligatory 9 hours a day if I don't have to.

so have we settled on a date yet?

Yes, February 7. My kitchen could very well be in shambles at that time, but I'm working to get the use of the in-laws' place, where we could seat 20. Plus, it's an awesome space for a group to cook together.

What's nice about this type of dinner is that it's not any more difficult to cook for 20 than 12.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Miss North Cackalacky if she's available.

You know we've got 2 right?

Didn't know that. Cool-- bonus!

That's from a year ago. There currently is only one Miss NC, the one in Al's avatar.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

That's from a year ago. There currently is only one Miss NC, the one in Al's avatar.

Oh damn...sorry. I must have have totally missed this years pagent.

I guess I don't keep up with Miss North Carolina unless it's full of scandal.

I'm just a bad North Carolinian!

Oh damn...sorry. I must have have totally missed this years pagent.

I guess I don't keep up with Miss North Carolina unless it's full of scandal.

I'm just a bad North Carolinian!

Damn, only one? That ain't enough woman for me!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Scottie, can you give Cliff's a call about beef cheeks? He has a way of finding things. Also, could you call Fowlers?

Oops, sorry I missed that, Varm. Sounds like phlawless is on it. Anything else I can help out with?

BTW, I know I've been pushing the farm thing, but if anyone's interested, Nu Horizons Farm will be having a cooking demo during the day on Feb. 7. They'll be fixing up country-style eats using their own organic meat products, with lots of free samples, I understand.

They are located outside Pittsboro.

so...I think we need to get moving on this thing especially if there are out of towners planning to attend. Who's still interested?

Here's the current list of attendees, not all of whom have confirmed. Please confirm:

Varmint +1

phlawless +1

Malawry ??

Al Dente ??

scottie +1 ??

weka +1

Random Alias +1 ??

Edemuth ??

I think there may be others. We'll start "assigning" dishes before long. Weka has agreed to do something with truffles and porcini! Yum. Phlawless is getting beef cheeks.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Here's the current list of attendees, not all of whom have confirmed. Please confirm:

Varmint +1

phlawless +1

Malawry ??

Al Dente ??

scottie +1 ??

weka +1

Random Alias +1 ??

Edemuth ??

I think there may be others. We'll start "assigning" dishes before long. Weka has agreed to do something with truffles and porcini! Yum. Phlawless is getting beef cheeks.

Yep, my wife and I will be there.

And I can bring a industrial sized can of Chef Boyardee Raviolis.