• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low Calorie Recipes

sockettrousers

I've decided that I (once again) need to lose a few pounds. I've been successful in the past with weight watchers which is basically fat and calorie control.

The way we kept sane on this diet last time was very low calorie in the week followed by a no holds barred meal in or visit to a restaurant at the weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions for low calorie recipes that will keep our spirits up during the week?

rog

Do you have the new Weight Watchers cookbook? Also Crazy Plates & LooneySpoons, both by Janet & Greta Podleski have wonderful low fat recipes to try.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Remove as many carbs as possible,eat more green vegetables and watch your fruit intake (sugar=Carbs)eat leaner cuts of meats,remove skin from poultry(marinated and grilling will help with flavor)

I have high Tri's and cholestorol,+ hyperglasemic (sp?)all found out this spring,so I have had to really change my eating habits.

I removed all carbs (tryglicirides)eat lots of salads with veggies,tuna from the can (solid white)with a pinch of salt,vinegar and black pepper.I limit starchy legumes,but a mans got to live.

i've lost 30# and got my (stuff)back in line.

Don't get me wrong,I still eat well,but instead of butter all over the place and potatoes,rice,pasta and such I use veggy braises ect.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Not sure if I have the _new_ ww cookbook, I have one which was only OK. I found the recipes tended to be a little uninspiring - the UK books seemed to try and cram a traditional mean 'n' two veg recepie into the limits rather than attempting to be creative within the limits. I suppose we ended up re-using about 10% of the recipes we tried.

Check out the Body for Life program, I find it to be a sensible alternative to typical diet programs. There is a new cookbook out for the program called Eating For Life that I find fairly usefull. The recipes are not going to win any accolades here on eGullet, but they give you a good idea of what kinds of things you can cook for yourself and still be on course.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Not sure if I have the _new_ ww cookbook, I have one which was only OK. I found the recipes tended to be a little uninspiring - the UK books seemed to try and cram a traditional mean 'n' two veg recepie into the limits rather than attempting to be creative within the limits. I suppose we ended up re-using about 10% of the recipes we tried.

If you can find the Crazy Spoons one go for it. They've got some pretty decent recipes.

Marlene

Remove as many carbs as possible,eat more green vegetables and watch your fruit intake (sugar=Carbs)eat leaner cuts of meats,remove skin from poultry(marinated and grilling will help with flavor)

I have high Tri's and cholestorol,+ hyperglasemic (sp?)all found out this spring,so I have had to really change my eating habits.

I removed all carbs (tryglicirides)eat lots of salads with veggies,tuna from the can (solid white)with a pinch of salt,vinegar and black pepper.I limit starchy legumes,but a mans got to live.

i've lost 30# and got my (stuff)back in line.

Don't get me wrong,I still eat well,but instead of butter all over the place and potatoes,rice,pasta and such I use veggy braises ect.

Brad, not to be pedantic, but triglycerides are fats/oils. Their chemical structure is three long hydrocarbon chains attached to a glycerol molecule (hence triglyceride) Now that the chemistry lesson is over, here is what I did during wrestling to fend off weight:

Broth/stock-based soups are spectacular. Eating hot broth will generally make you feel fuller with fewer calories due to the water content.

Cruciform vegetables: cauliflower, broccoli, etc. They are LOW LOW LOW calorie foods.

Most fruits you can eat with impunity. Keep in mind, though, that the sweeter the fruit, the more sugar, hence calories. But, if you reduce fats and eat the same volume, you are reducing total calorie intake. Salads, also. Low-calorie dressings. Hopefully you can develop a taste for simply vinegar/lemon juice and salt and pepper. Simple but good dressings.

Grill and broil a lot. Instead of oil to make meats juicy, cook them at higher temperature for a shorter time (you may have to adjust meat thickness to get it done properly). Use fresh lemon juice and good spices (I like fresh black pepper) for taste.

Number 1, though, is exercise. If you break a sweat for 15 minutes with quality aerobic exercise 3+ times a week, you will do yourself much more good than diet alone. For example, this summer, I ate primarily homemade al fredo, butter everything, cream soaked zillion calorie everything. But, I road my bike in rush hour traffic for 6 miles twice daily. I lost 15 pounds on that diet... and exercise.

Also a good suggestion is a children's vitamin daily while you are losing weight.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

To add to my earlier post I would like to sum up the idea behind the body for life plan.

Food:

Eat 5-6 small meals daily (1 every 2-3 hrs)

Each meal consists of portion of protein, portion of carbohydrate, and portion of vegetable.

A portion is roughly the size of your clenched fist

Protein source: Relatively low fat, protein-rich foodstuff. Examples being lean beef, skinless chicken, all fish, cottage cheese, tofu, etc...

Carhohydrate source: "Quality" complex carbohydrates with a slow burn rate as to not spike blood sugar levels. Examples being whole grains, potatoes, yams, whole wheat bread, and in some cases fruit.

Vegetables: non starchy vegetables of any type

Olive oil is ok to cook with, salt is ok, and most condiments with low sugar and fat amounts. Use common sense.

Exercise:

Work out once a day alternating between cardio and weight lifting. Take one day off per week to rest.

Cardio workout: First thing in the morning, do 20 min of intense cardio. This should be done on an empty stomach. Use a staged intensity approach where each minute you adjust the intensity level of your work on a scale of 1-10. Do the following routine- 5,6,7,8,9 5,6,7,8,9 5,6,7,8,9 6,7,8,9,10 Wait one hour before you eat your first meal.

Weight Training: Split into upper and lower body days. Workout major muscle groups with the following set procedure for each muscle group with gradually increasing weight to increase intensity.

12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 12 reps (switch to different exercise but same muscle group) 12 reps

Free Day

One day a week you take off completely. You can eat whatever you want and not work out. This is a good day to go to Paris. :wink:

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Crazy Plates, Loonyspoons. :)

I have both of them, they're fairly good, especially for low fat food (eta- a bit bland) though, I'd take Crazy Plates over Loonyspoons...it's the second book and seems a bit better thought out.

The books are colorful, entertaining (a bit cheesy) and full of tips and ideas...that's good. I go through them with the little post it notes and mark the recipes I want to try, then write my comments on the note when done and stick them in there so I know what needs tinkering, what not to make again (the greek shepherds pie..yeccch), and what's a hit (chocolate chocolate chip zucchini bread).

:)

Edited by megaira (log)

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

Crazy Plates, Loonyspoons. :)

I have both of them, they're fairly good, especially for low fat food, though, I'd take Crazy Plates over Loonyspoons...it's the second book and seems a bit better thought out.

The books are colorful, entertaining (a bit cheesy) and full of tips and ideas...that's good. I go through them with the little post it notes and mark the recipes I want to try, then write my comments on the note when done and stick them in there so I know what needs tinkering, what not to make again (the greek shepherds pie..yeccch), and what's a hit (chocolate chocolate chip zucchini bread).

:)

Yeah, they are kind of fun to read and I agree with you about the order of the books. WW served me well. I lost about 70 lbs through them and have more or less managed to keep it off. Well, until this Christmas season that is. :blink: I'm afraid to get on a scale!

Marlene

I have found that the recipes in "A New Way to Cook" by Sally Schneider are usually pretty good. Her recipes allow a small amount of fat, which really helps with the flavor.

And I have to agree with the exercise. I'm not all that fanatic about it, but I've found if I can get cardio in 3 times a week, I can keep any extra weight off.

My understanding is that "8 glasses of water a day" is no longer being preached. (I would find a link but this has been the longest day.) You get water in vegetables, tea, coffee (though too much coffee is a diuretic AND it tastes bad), and from other sources.

I was so relieved when I read that news.

Water can't hurt, but you don't need to be superstitious about it.

My understanding is that "8 glasses of water a day" is no longer being preached. (I would find a link but this has been the longest day.) You get water in vegetables, tea, coffee (though too much coffee is a diuretic AND it tastes bad), and from other sources.

That may be, but when you're engaging in vigorous exercise such as weight training, it's advisable to drink as much water as possible -- not only during your workout, but throughout the day -- in order to keep hydrated as much as possible.

I'll let the trainers amongst us clarify and correct me if need be. It's just good health common sense to drink as much as possible, hence the "8 glasses a day". Me, my love of water is well documented here on eGlutton :biggrin: , but I can see where it might be a concern for other people.

Soba

Loving water is fabulous. I have a bedside glass that I guzzle in the middle of the night. It's got a squeeze of Meyer lemon that makes me happy and rinses my tongue.

All I am saying is that the "8 glasses" thing is not currently accepted theory.

But yes, drink water. Without the guilt of "I'm not drinking enough."

Carhohydrate source: "Quality" complex carbohydrates with a slow burn rate as to not spike blood sugar levels. Examples being whole grains, potatoes, yams, whole wheat bread, and in some cases fruit.

I've always seen potatoes and sweet potatoes listed as very high glycemic items, along with bread (especially white bread), corn, rice (esp. white rice), juice, and sucrose.

Michael aka "Pan"

That may be, but when you're engaging in vigorous exercise such as weight training, it's advisable to drink as much water as possible -- not only during your workout, but throughout the day -- in order to keep hydrated as much as possible.

I'll let the trainers amongst us clarify and correct me if need be. It's just good health common sense to drink as much as possible, hence the "8 glasses a day". Me, my love of water is well documented here on eGlutton :biggrin: , but I can see where it might be a concern for other people.

Soba

Soba is correct in this. I weight train. During any kind of exercise, you should be sweating and of course, are losing water from the body. Thus, is makes sense to replentish it. Further, when weight training, muscles absorb more water and thus your body needs more. Water also flushes excess salt and impurities from the body.

I'll bet anyone who starts a "diet" (I prefer lifestyle change), and drinks the requisite 8 glasses a day of water or more, will lose approximately 4 lbs during the first week. This is the "water loss" period of weight loss. It is the first thing that happens. Water helps your circulatory system and other systems of the body function properly. The body is 98% water, so it makes sense that it's one of the most important things to give back to your body.

Marlene

I am a certified personal trainer and an RN. I can guarantee you that 8 glasses of water is really a guideline minimum. Water is one of the very best things for anyone to consume (providing they're not in congestive heart failure or kidney failure). It not only cleanses your system of toxins, it also keeps all your "innards" working smoothly. AND it makes your skin a whole lot better. For weight loss, it's well known that drinking a lot of water helps to fill you up so you aren't so ravenous. And, as several others have pointed out here, if you are doing any type of exercise or weight training, you need to be drinking MORE than 8 glasses of water. I probably drink close to 2 gallons of water most days. I'm never sick. And I've got great skin. Don't ever minimize the importance of water while I'm around :smile:

Exercise:

Work out once a day alternating between cardio and weight lifting. Take one day off per week to rest.

Cardio workout: First thing in the morning, do 20 min of intense cardio. This should be done on an empty stomach. Use a staged intensity approach where each minute you adjust the intensity level of your work on a scale of 1-10. Do the following routine- 5,6,7,8,9 5,6,7,8,9 5,6,7,8,9 6,7,8,9,10 Wait one hour before you eat your first meal.

Weight Training: Split into upper and lower body days. Workout major muscle groups with the following set procedure for each muscle group with gradually increasing weight to increase intensity.

12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 12 reps (switch to different exercise but same muscle group) 12 reps

Free Day

One day a week you take off completely. You can eat whatever you want and not work out. This is a good day to go to Paris. :wink:

One of the important things to remember is that everyone's body is different and will respond differently to different foods and exercise. As you experiment, you'll find what works best for you. For example, walking or running for me works better than an exercise bike or other cardio machine. I can eat fats, but not salt.

I run 5 days a week, 20 minutes a day, and walk for 10. I weight train 3 days a week. I used to alternate upper and lower body but now do a full body workout these days. Splitting the upper and lower body allows you to focus specifically on certain muscles of the body.

I will disagree here with the thought that you should not eat before cardio. You're burning lots of calories during cardio and your body needs something to work off. Give it food. Not a lot, but enough to kick start your metabolism and get it working. Otherwise your body is going to think you are starving it and it won't burn those calories you're trying to run off, it'll hide them.

After weight training, it is important to get some protein into your system as soon as you can. Building muscle takes protein and when the muscles are freshly stretched and exercised is a good window for them to absorb the protein and use it as "food" to strengthen the muscle. This is when a high protein/low carb shake will work very well.

I'd be happy for our resident personal trainer to chime in here with thoughts on foods and exercise :smile:

Marlene

I totally agree with the "day off" concept. Let's face it, we like food because it tastes good, and most lower calorie foods aren't that great. Having something to look forward to on the weekend helps keep me on track during the week. It's that excercise thing that hangs me up every time. I'm still looking 'for something I enjoy doing'..... I like curling up in the recliner and reading cookbooks. I don't think that qualifys as cardio anything.

Stop Family Violence

I tried to start a diet contest a while back and the post got deleted. I've checked and rechecked the User Agreement, but . . . .

I'd be happy to enter the non-existant diet contest. We just can't start until after tfl closes since I'll likely gain 5lbs from my newyears dinner.

I am a certified personal trainer and an RN. I can guarantee you that 8 glasses of water is really a guideline minimum. Water is one of the very best things for anyone to consume (providing they're not in congestive heart failure or kidney failure). It not only cleanses your system of toxins, it also keeps all your "innards" working smoothly. AND it makes your skin a whole lot better. For weight loss, it's well known that drinking a lot of water helps to fill you up so you aren't so ravenous. And, as several others have pointed out here, if you are doing any type of exercise or weight training, you need to be drinking MORE than 8 glasses of water. I probably drink close to 2 gallons of water most days. I'm never sick. And I've got great skin. Don't ever minimize the importance of water while I'm around :smile:

My trainer agrees with you 100%. Plus, she can tell if I haven't had enough water, because I can't recover from excercises as well. If I'm not hydrated enough, I have to take breaks in between exercises, rather than moving on to the next one.

Also, we also have A New Way to Cook. We've liked everything we've made out there so far. A lot of it is common sense moderation. :biggrin:

Oh -- btw, I'm on a weight GAIN diet. heheheh.

I weighed in at 148 this morning -- 7.5 lbs heavier than last Monday. Ultimately, I'd love to be 155-160 of muscle by this time next year. I probably gained something along the lines of .5 lbs. of muscle since starting working out last Monday (which btw, was the first I'd been in my entire life). It's gonna be a long and hard road, so wish me luck.

Soba