• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All-Clad Stainless Cookware

dennis77

While I adore my all clad pans, I'm not sure I would pick All-Clad for a saute pan. I thought that's what I wanted. In the course of a discussion with someone though about how my hand grips the handle, I discovered it might not be quite the right fit for all that shaking and tossing one might want to do. I have very small hands and while the All-Clad handle does fit my hand pretty well, I'm not sure I'd get a good a grip as I'd need for sauteing, with the way All Clad shapes their handles.

Thus, I continue to look for a saute pan!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Look no further.

Strait gauge doesn't make much sense for a saute pan unless it is heavy copper -- and even then it's mostly because the straight gauge pans have thicker copper than you can get with a disk-bottom design. I'd take this Sitram Magnum Pro saute pan over an All-Clad Stainless saute pan any day.

--

I have a lot of cookware, including several pieces of All-Clad SS.

For some applications they are excellent. The small roasting pan (which I got for a ridiculously cheap price) produces the best dripping with all the dark tasty bits of any roasting pan I have.

I have a 3-quart saucepan which works on my induction burner. I also have a frypan that works on the induction burner and is a little smaller and easier to handle than the Sitram I bought specifically for it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've slowly been collecting AC SS pots and pans, and overall, I really love them. I purposefully bargain hunt though, only choosing pans when I can get a big discount (or getting them from relatives over the holidays :cool: )

I've tried numerous other "peer" brands, and just don't like them as much. I suppose it's also a little bit about what you get used to.

For some applications they are excellent.  The small roasting pan (which I got for a ridiculously cheap price) produces the best dripping with all the dark tasty bits of any roasting pan I have.

They have changed the once fine AC-SS roasting pans. They are still the same high price, but no longer tri-clad --- just ss only. Sur La Tab makes a tri-clad one that is almost identical to the old tri-clad and it's much less, about $99 if I recall correctly.

My AC have all developed hot spots, my Sitram have not. I had all but stoppped using the AC, except for one non-stick pot, but, alas, this, too, has developed a major, central hot spot. On a minor point, the handles on the Sitram disspate heat better than the AC, as well.

Knowledge is good.

For some applications they are excellent.  The small roasting pan (which I got for a ridiculously cheap price) produces the best dripping with all the dark tasty bits of any roasting pan I have.

They have changed the once fine AC-SS roasting pans. They are still the same high price, but no longer tri-clad --- just ss only. Sur La Tab makes a tri-clad one that is almost identical to the old tri-clad and it's much less, about $99 if I recall correctly.

I got mine a couple of years ago. It is very heavy for its size. It is the smaller one and 3/4 inch deeper than the big one so I also use it as a lasagna pan.

I have not seen it in any of the stores so perhaps this is one of the older models.

It does have a magnetic bottom, however the magnet won't stick on the sides.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...

An update on All-Clad,

Yes, All-Clad has been losing some weight. The following thickness's are measured with a micrometer.

------1985 MasterChef: 0.145"

-----Later MasterChef 0.135"

-----Later Ltd 0.132"

-----Original MC-2 0.135"

-----New MC-2 0.120"

-----Stainless 0.100"

Recently, I saw a set of MC-2 with thicker bases, labeled MasterChef. I asked the manager about the cookware and she provided me with wisdom from the All-Clad representative.

-----"Almost every pan on the market is made in one factory in China"

-----"Even All-Clad will be outsourcing to Indonesia"

-----"All Clad cannot be made thicker because the steel will delaminate."

-----"Thicker aluminium RUINS the cooking performance of the pans."

-----"Thicker aluminium holds its heat and overcooks and burns food."

-----"You want thin cookware so the pan will cool quickly."

I phoned All-Clad and they denied that there was a difference between the thickness MasterChef and MC-2.

FYI, the pans made in China also have shorter handles. This may explain the different feel.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

I've been using All-Clad pans since around 1878 when I was night chef at the original Scott's Seafood Bar & Grill at Scott and Lombard in San Francisco.

I still prefer those that are clad only on the inside as they are a heavier gauge. I also have some of the stainless line, but their only advantage is ease of maintenance.

Chef on Fire

An update on All-Clad

Interesting stuff, Tim. I'm going to convert your measurements to metric, which is more usual for cookware thickness.

• 1985 MasterChef: 3.68 mm (0.145")
  • Later MasterChef: 3.43 mm (0.135")
  • Later LTD: 3.35 mm (0.132")
  • Original MC-2: 3.43 mm (0.135")
  • New MC-2: 3.05 mm (0.120")
  • Stainless: 2.54 mm (0.100")

--

An update on All-Clad,

Yes, All-Clad has been losing some weight.  The following thickness's are measured with a micrometer.

interesting. so even as they're making the pans out of less material AND making them overseas, their prices continue to climb.

i don't know why they're still wasting their time making pans, really. i just can't imagine the profit margin can compare to what they must be making on their $40 measuring cups, $50 splatter screens, and $90 colanders. oh and the $120 food mill.

And how off-topic would it be for us to consider not only the quality of the product but the question of what this outsourcing is doing to US workers and the economy?

off-topic, and not unique to that particular company in the least.

But sad nonetheless............

An update on All-Clad,

Yes, All-Clad has been losing some weight.  The following thickness's are measured with a micrometer.

------1985 MasterChef:    0.145"

-----Later MasterChef      0.135"

-----Later Ltd                  0.132"

-----Original MC-2          0.135"

-----New MC-2                0.120"

-----Stainless                  0.100"

Recently, I saw a set of MC-2 with thicker bases, labeled MasterChef.  I asked the manager about the cookware and she provided me with wisdom from the All-Clad representative.

-----"Almost every pan on the market is made in one factory in China"

-----"Even All-Clad will be outsourcing to Indonesia"

-----"All Clad cannot be made thicker because the steel will delaminate."

-----"Thicker aluminium RUINS the cooking performance of the pans."

-----"Thicker aluminium holds its heat and overcooks and burns food."

-----"You want thin cookware so the pan will cool quickly."

I phoned All-Clad and they denied that there was a difference between the thickness MasterChef and MC-2.

FYI, the pans made in China also have shorter handles.  This may explain the different feel.

Tim

Who wants thin pans? If thin is better then obviously the wafer thin stuff available at the supermarket must be top of the line.

Menom,

Now that you understand the shocking truth about cookware, I know that you will want to purchase some Regalware and Mirro to replace that heavy copper.

I will be happy to give your Falk, Borgeat, Mauviel and Dehillerin a decent burial behind my house. Let me know and I will forward a self addressed and prepaid box for delivery.

Tim

An update on All-Clad,

interesting. so even as they're making the pans out of less material AND making them overseas, their prices continue to climb.

i don't know why they're still wasting their time making pans, really. i just can't imagine the profit margin can compare to what they must be making on their $40 measuring cups, $50 splatter screens, and $90 colanders. oh and the $120 food mill.

...aaaand after writing this today, i get an email from all-clad offering to replace the warped lid on my ten year old pot that i emailed them to ask about because i don't want to pay for a new one. so i feel guilty for badmouthing them. although i do still disapprove.

Menom,

Now that you understand the shocking truth about cookware, I know that you will want to purchase some Regalware and Mirro to replace that heavy copper.

I will be happy to give your Falk, Borgeat, Mauviel and Dehillerin a decent burial behind my house.  Let me know and I will forward a self addressed and prepaid box for delivery.

Tim

It is a sad truth, but oh well. I have a few pieces of nice old French tin lined copper as well should you want it. Perhaps I should trade in my French knives for something stamped and serrated. :smile:

What is baffling to me is how an All-Clad rep would suggest such a thing except to prevaricate.