• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Santa Monica Area restaurant recommendations

ALANB

For the best ethnic food (Chinese, Thai, Oaxacan, Mexican and Japanese, etc), you'll need to travel out of the area. In the area, I'd check out Josie for her new American-French and stuff with game, Mori Sushi for aesthetic high end sushi, Chinois on Main for Puck's take on Chinese, Ivy at the Shore because it has a real vacation feel about it, and--though I haven't been--the renowned burgers at Father's Office in the evening.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Two more that are "classics" in the area are Michaels and Valentinos. I think in a somewhat recent thread, Russ Parsons recommended that for Valentino's you not have a price limit and tell them to design the food and wine menu for you. (Maybe that was in Russ' Q&A.)

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Mori, Il Grano, Josies, Joe's, thats one Japanese, Italian, French(ish), American.

For lunch try Amuse, Taiko, Casa Antiqua ( very popular,though Im not sure why) Lobster.

Breakfast, Zabbies, John O'Groats, Pacific Dining Car, or any of the hotels on Ocean. Shutters, Loewes, etc.

D

Edited by dfunghi (log)

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Here's Russ' quote on Valentino's:

For a total dining experience, probably Valentino (but ONLY if you let them do the menu and are prepared to drop some good money on wine).

Mori, Il Grano, Josies, Joe's, thats one Japanese, Italian, French(ish), American.

For lunch try Amuse, Taiko, Casa Antiqua ( very popular,though Im not sure why) Lobster.

Breakfast, Zabbies, John O'Groats, Pacific Dining Car, or any of the hotels on Ocean. Shutters, Loewes, etc.

D

I second Josie's.

Here's Russ' quote on Valentino's:
For a total dining experience, probably Valentino (but ONLY if you let them do the menu and are prepared to drop some good money on wine).

I had a really dissapointing meal at Valentino. I would not go back unless I was with someone who knew how to get the best out of them. Even the wine (the waiter's recommendation) was SO lowest-common-denomenator. (A tragedy considering the awesome wine list.)

On the more positive, I second Mori Sushi (for the best experience sit at the sushi bar and do omakase), Amuse cafe for lunch--actually, Abbot Kinney has a lot of good places including Axe and Joe's.

Chaya Venice used to be a fave, but a recent visit was less impressive. Still a nice room, good cocktails, and great happy hour sushi specials.

Afternoon drinks at Shutters are lovely.

Father's Office burger is a bleu cheese fest, which is only good if you like bleu cheese. The beer is very, very good, but the place is always packed.

I can't comment on the other places mentioned. Enjoy! I hope the weather is good for you. January by the beach is often lovely!

Edit: Forgot Takao on San Vicente. Very good sush, different style than Mori.

Edited by mixmaster b (log)

You should look into Whist, Tim and Liza Goodell's restaurant in Santa Monica's Viceroy Hotel. Tim made his mark with Aubergine in Newport Beach, a French Laundry hopeful, then with Troquet. He opened Whist, and more recently Red Pearl in Huntington Beach and The Lodge in Costa Mesa. All are hipster joints with good food. He can be pretentious at time in his French menus, but he's mostly a savvy chef these days catering to the beautiful crowd. He serves excellent seasonal food broken down into simple plates. The crispy pork belly on white beans on the menu at The Lodge is a god-send.

Dining at one of his newer establishments usually means you also get to nod along to progressive ambient electronic music. The Viceroy is a cool hotel, so be prepared to see some pretty people. Tim was one of Food & Wine's "Best Chefs in America" a few years back so he's certainly no light weight.

R. Jason Coulston

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

It is my understanding that Tim and wife are no longer involved with Whist. For sure I know that the Chef ( Jeff ?) left a few months ago.

Funny you should mention that because I was just reading that same information earlier today. A buddy of mine sent me a link to a blurb about it on a restaurant rumors website. The chef from Whist, Jeff Anderson I believe, was Tim's former star and the guy that did the menu creation and opening of the other restaurants I listed above. He headed off to Texas so somebody new was brought in to run Whist. Still, as of just a few weeks ago anyway, was still listed on one of Tim's business cards. Also printed on the card is Village Bakery, located next to The Lodge. It serves as the bakery for all of his establishments. I don't know what Tim's current involvement with Whist and/or the Viceroy is, nor how this is all going to play into the quality of food or the menu. I'm betting it's still a quality place.

R. Jason Coulston

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 2 years later...

I have a quick trip down to L.A. scheduled and my host has asked me to pick a place in Santa Monica for one of our dinners.

We're also going to Spago, A.O.C. and Jar...so that might give you an idea of the type of food I enjoy.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Have you considered Border Grill, owned by Mary Sue Milliken & Susan Feniger, the "Too Hot Tamales"?

Here are a few photos I took during a Sunday lunch recently:

Chips & Salsa

gallery_24802_2570_65192.jpg

Border Classics: 2 green corn tamales, 2 plantain empanadas, and 2 chicken panuchos

gallery_24802_2570_9391.jpg

Chicken Chilaquiles

gallery_24802_2570_96436.jpg

Cochinita Pibil

gallery_24802_2570_98672.jpg

If you want to try another Wolfgang Puck restaurant, go over to Chinois on Main. To read my account of my Chinese New Year dinner there, Click here. A fellow eGulleteer works there as one of the line cooks.

Between Santa Monica & the LAX airport, you can eat at Joe's Restaurant in Venice, Calif.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

It's been a few years (so you might want an updated opinion) but I truly loved Josiah Citrin's Melisse. They have several tasting menus and always a seasonal menu featuring whatever is best at the time of your visit. It's lovely, too, without being stuffy.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

It's been a few years (so you might want an updated opinion) but I truly loved Josiah Citrin's Melisse.  They have several tasting menus and always a seasonal menu featuring whatever is best at the time of your visit.  It's lovely, too, without being stuffy.

Bingo ! Just what I was looking for. Thanks so much !

Wilshire Restaurant is doing some good things....

Drago is still one of my favorite places as well.

Are you going to Jar on Monday, when Nancy Silverton is doing the mozzarella bar thing?

Ian W

Former Chef / Partner, Cafe La Terre and Bistro V Express

Sebastopol, CA

Currently living the culinary dream in South East Asia.

Wilshire Restaurant is doing some good things....

Drago is still one of my favorite places as well.

Are you going to Jar on Monday, when Nancy Silverton is doing the mozzarella bar thing?

Not hitting Jar this trip but I have been on a Monday...also love La Terza by the way.

• 1 year later...

I will be in and around Santa Monica all next week. Id appreciate recommendations on restaurants, and places to go foodiewise.

Im especially interested in recommendations for Seafood, both grill and sushi

thanks

For the Wolfgang Puck experience, there's "Chinois on Main." Haven't been there in forever but always loved the crispy fried catfish. Even if that's not on the menu, you'll do fine.

Used to like Ocean Avenue Seafood but was incredibly underwhelmed when I went recently.

Santa Monica has tons of great places. Not far however is Venice with lots and lots of options as well. I've never gone wrong at Joe's in Venice.

maher,

There are many places to eat over in Santa Monica and surrounding areas, like Venice, Culver City, Brentwood, etc., also known as the Westside.

Melisse is a wonderful French restaurant. I'll be eating there for Bastille Day. Other restaurants I've eaten include Il Grano, Il Moro, Valentino, Michael's.

One new restaurant in Santa Monica is Abode, on Ocean Ave. & Colorado, across from the SM Pier. I've been there three times, last time with a couple of friends in the biz. They really liked the place. I definitely do.

Joe's in Venice is worth going to. The food is great, and parking on your own is an adventure.

Santa Monica Farmers' Market is on Wed. morning. Great place. Mind you, I haven't been there yet.

If you don't mind traveling a bit, try some of the restaurants in Culver City, one of the new hot spots. Beacon near the old Helms Bakery, Fraiche (Get reservations. I haven't been there for dinner yet.).

I hope that's enough to tie you over for a while. I'm sure others will chime in.

Edited by rjwong (log)

Its a little bit of a drive but the LA outpost of Tom Coliccio's Craft opens up this weekend in Century City, I believe they are currently taking reservations.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Its a little bit of a drive but the LA outpost of Tom Coliccio's Craft opens up this weekend in Century City, I believe they are currently taking reservations.

Swicks, Century City is not in the Westside. CC is next to Beverly Hills. And at that point, maher might as well go to all the top places around the La Cienega/Beverly Blvd. area (Sona, AOC, Lucques, La Terza, Grace, Hatfield's, Angelini Osteria, Table 8, Matsuhisa, Spago, Cut, etc.)

Swicks, Century City is not in the Westside. CC is next to Beverly Hills. And at that point, maher might as well go to all the top places around the La Cienega/Beverly Blvd. area (Sona, AOC, Lucques, La Terza, Grace, Hatfield's, Angelini Osteria, Table 8, Matsuhisa, Spago, Cut, etc.)

Thanks RJ, yes id rather avoid the hike to century city but i have to say that Craft sounds tempting all the same. ... i guess it all depends on how busy my schedule is going to be, but im guessing im going to have to stay within the 15-20 minute zone.