• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Links

fifi

My apologies, theabroma. I must have slid right by your post on Elgin Southside, then I couldn't edit mine. I must owe you a hot link after that :blush:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 3 weeks later...

:blink: Fifi,

Been gone a while...but

I bought some Pitts Links, cooked them...(smelled good)

Took my first bite...YUCK! I spit that stuff out so fast....then I looked a the ingredients...

File 13...............blech!

p.s. It was not hot at all. But I survived to ask you...YOU LIKE THIS STUFF?

Doesn't sound like I would like it. I haven't gotten on the hunt for them here in Houston yet. But, sounds like I won't be ordering or looking for Pitts. If they weren't hot they weren't right. My memory says that they are all beef, rather coarsely ground. I may be wrong about that. What ingredients were blech?

You didn't say how you cooked them. They are normally cooked in the pit with the rest of the BBQ.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

They told you to cook them in the oven?

Lymphnodes?

GET A ROPE!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This just in from my nephew...

The closest hot links that he has found to what he remembers as a kid are made by J&B Sausage, Waelder TX. You can find them at HEB and sometimes Kroger. We know J&B pretty well since my mom and dad had a country place near there for years. They knew the owners of J&B pretty well and dad was satisfied with the quality of their products. Dad was notoriously picky. Nephew says the package labeled HOT is probably closer to memory. He also warns that it is REALLY hot. He hasn't seen them at BBQ joints around here either. His read on the sausages that you get at most places are "mixed meat with cereal filler crap".

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

fifi: Why don't you go to Central Market and ask to speak to the sausage maker? I bet they could make you some.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Central Market might be the finest thing ever to employ a UPC scanner, but they are the last place you want to go for goodlovin'righteous sassidge.

Hot Links are the exclusive domain of Southeast Central Texas, and they do distribute their product as best they can. Even Kroger can dish it out.

Look for Earl Campbell's hot links if you can't find anything else. If you go to the right Fiesta, you might even find the f'real stuff from Taylor or Elgin.

Heck, anywhere you go ain't but two or six hours from where you're at. You can't be that far from Taylor (hot links), Elgin (sassidge), or Lockhart (everything else).

That's why the good lord created the V6.

P.S. Is Jim Goode a fakey-@#$ punk, or what?

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

This just in from my nephew...

The closest hot links that he has found to what he remembers as a kid are made by J&B Sausage, Waelder TX. You can find them at HEB and sometimes Kroger. We know J&B pretty well since my mom and dad had a country place near there for years. They knew the owners of J&B pretty well and dad was satisfied with the quality of their products. Dad was notoriously picky. Nephew says the package labeled HOT is probably closer to memory. He also warns that it is REALLY hot. He hasn't seen them at BBQ joints around here either. His read on the sausages that you get at most places are "mixed meat with cereal filler crap".

J&B is alright, but no one can touch Chapell Hill. Don't believe me? They're right next to each other at the store. Do a side-by-side.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Uuuumm... My sister has had a country place at Chappel Hills for 25 years or more and we go there on week ends. We love Chappel Hills sausage and buy it all the time. But for getting closer to what we had 30 years ago, J&B seems to be closer. The CH garlic is really good if you put it on the smoker and let it almost go to jerky. We cut it up into chunks for nibbles with cold beer.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 4 months later...

Thanks for that. I haven't been to Guy's in years. Sounds like a road trip is in order.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

YES! The ones my grandfather would get at Otto's about 50 years ago were short and fat if I remember right.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Southside Market in Elgin. Giddings Market in Giddings, and Nemecek's in West ... especially Nemecek's. And, if it's still there, Bertsch's Market in Fayetville. Also Smitty's BBQ in Lockhart.

Sorry, that's as close to Houston as I know!

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

• 1 year later...

*bump*

Update on the sausage from Chappell Hills. The favorite (Why didn't I know this?) is actually from a little place, not the big Chappell Hills sausage company. The place is on 290 next to the Exxon station. It used to be called Floyd's but is now Chappell Hill Grocery or Cafe or something like that. They make a coarse ground beef and pork sausage with lots of garlic and black pepper. They only make 3500 pounds on Tuesdays. They aren't hot links but the grind and the casing is right. We are thinking of asking if they will make a custom batch.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Fifi, did you ever make it to Guys Meat Mkt to see if the red hots are the same as you remember at Otto's?

Yeah, I did. Close, but no cigar. A little bland and the casing didn't "snap" after a sojourn in the smoker. But then, my memory may be clouded by sentiment. :unsure:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

It was worth a shot? They look like Hot Links though?

Fifi, did you ever make it to Guys Meat Mkt to see if the red hots are the same as you remember at Otto's?

Yeah, I did. Close, but no cigar. A little bland and the casing didn't "snap" after a sojourn in the smoker. But then, my memory may be clouded by sentiment. :unsure:

I know this an old thread, but I saw some new post.

You guys are talking apples and oranges, the hot links you refer to are the bright red ones seen in Texas and parts of Oklahoma. They are very different from the East Texas links made in Pittsburg (parts is parts) or the Texas Rings made around Lockhart or even the smoked sausage from Southside in Elgin. East Texas links have roots that go back to the black settlers in east Texas, the are basically made from the leftovers of butchering, they were about 3 inches long and sold in lengths of 6 or 12. When you go to Hardeman's BBQ off MLK in Dallas you order the way they used to in East Texas; "one dozen, Hot with crackers" by hot, they mean with hot sauce. Usually I was the only white boy in the place, most of the other ones I did see ordered 1/2 dozen with white bread? I guess it's an East Texas thing. The Texas Rings (Lockhart rings) are usually made with beef and are 8 to 10 inch individual rings, and usually hot smoked. In Luling at City Market you can get them wet or dry, wet being right off the pit still ozing with fat, dry are ones that have been under a heat lamp drying out a bit. I guess this like the "fat brisket, lean brisket " thing, fat is flavor was around way before the "Bam" guy. Some of the recipes for Lockhart rings date back to Mexican settlers in the area.

The Southside sausage is mostly Eastern European/Polish/German variety adapted to the region. All good, all different.

The red ones "hot links" were and are made with dyed red caseings full of parts is parts red pepper and black pepper, as a kid I would pan fry them and eat them on toast with yellow mustard (the things kids used to do ??). Growing up between Farmers Branch, TX and Liverpool UK (Dad - East Texas, Mom - Liverpool)

I have many memories of East Texas BBQ while in Texas, Black Pudding for breakfast with a side of bangers, back bacon, eggs and tomatoes all cooked in the same pan, while in the UK. It's a wonder I became a chef with tthat cultural food upbringing. Later as I got older, many day trips to Lockhart, Luling, Taylor, Mason, Elgin and all the little mom and pop places inbetween.

Hope this clears up some sausage confusion

P.S. Cooper's in Llano = Bad, Cooper's in Mason = Good

M. Schmidt

Cafe909.com

The main thing for us here in Central Texas is that the uniqueness of the sausage product that came from the mixing of the German, Czech, Mexican, and Southern Black (something that could only happen in Central Texas) is so good... everything else seems second-best.

(Well, until you get to Louisiana...) :wink:

I know this an old thread, but I saw some new post.

. . . The Texas Rings (Lockhart rings) are usually made with beef and are 8 to 10 inch individual rings, and usually hot smoked. In Luling at City Market you can get them wet or dry, wet being right off the pit still ozing with fat, dry are ones that have been under a heat lamp drying out a bit. I guess this like the "fat brisket, lean brisket " thing, fat is flavor was around way before the "Bam" guy. Some of the recipes for Lockhart rings date back to Mexican settlers in the area.

The Southside sausage is mostly Eastern European/Polish/German variety adapted to the region. . . .

. . . . .

We love digging up old threads. :biggrin:

Thank you so much for this information. That is terrific background. I am just about sure that the hot links of my childhood are about as you describe Lockhart Rings. You do have to take into account that what I remember is 50 years ago!

I did try the links at Luling City Market last May when I got disappointed with the brisket. I think they have dumbed them down and the texture wasn't coarse enough. Of course, that was from the batch on that particular day. Another day may be another story.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"