• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Links

fifi

Over in the Louisiana forum, the subject of "hot links" came up in the jambalaya thread here.

When I was a kid, my grandfather would go to his office on Saturday mornings and then stop by Otto's BBQ on the way home. He always brought an assortment of goodies. That assortment included hot links. In this case, the hot wasn't just that they came off the smoker and when you bit into them they just about popped and juice got all over your chin and shirt. There was a pretty darn good dose of pepper in there. I can picture those things now. looking through the translucent skin you could see the flecks of red pepper and a lot of black pepper. I haven't seen those on the menus of the usual BBQ places here in Houston now that I think about it.

Sources?

Occasionally, grandpa would also bring me a couple of BIG whole beef ribs. He called them dinosaur ribs. (I was an early dinosaur freak.) Haven't seen those, either.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Fifi;

I guess I'm following you, but you do come up with such interesting threads :laugh:. Here is one site whose description explains what's happened to hot links, I fear. Scroll down, and you'll see "A Texas favorite is our spicy but not too spicy hot link." (emphasis added) Bunch of damned wusses :laugh:.

I have found on occasion a link to some folks somewhere up around Paris (TX) who claim to make old fashioned all beef hot links, but can't seem to google them up right now. If I find them, I'll post it. For all of us chili heads, the passing of the old style Texas hot links is a great loss indeed :sad:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Thanks for the link but I am with you. Those just don't look right. "Not too spicey"??? When speaking of hot links, that is heresy.

GET A ROPE!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks for the link but I am with you. Those just don't look right. "Not too spicey"??? When speaking of hot links, that is heresy.

GET A ROPE!

Texas Hot Links snap back when you bite into them. No such animal as a not too spicey one.

Fifi get the rope and I'll get the knife!!!

:laugh:

woodburner

Thanks, foodie52. Now there is an idea!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Siegi's in Tulsa makes various degrees of hot links. Siegi's

Even the maids say the XXX ones are hot. And they drink Tabasco like water.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

WOW ! I'm surprised that we are become Hot with something else besides Coffee in Seattle.

There seems to be a prolifigation of various "Hot Links", home made at many Barbque Places and available in many Meat Counters or Butchers all over town from Louisiana, Texas, California and anywhere else they can be aquired from.

Even the majority of Hot Dog Cartes offer All Beef, Polish and a Hot Link for their Customers and this isn't counting our very popular Hot Italian Sausage or Cherizo's.

I'm glad that we are one up on other places and officially HOT.

Irwin :unsure:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Uh... Irwin... None of the things that you refer to have anything to do with Texas "hot links". None of the examples you have cited are anything like the original Texas hot links. You had to be here 30 or 40 years ago. They are a very special thing. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Uh... Irwin... None of the things that you refer to have anything to do with Texas "hot links". None of the examples you have cited are anything like the original Texas hot links. You had to be here 30 or 40 years ago. They are a very special thing. :biggrin:

:rolleyes:

Fifi: I'm right. In Seattle we have at last count many places that feature Texas Style Hot Links, especially the Pecos Bit Barbque that has awed and brought to tears many visiting Texan's seeking the real Brisket and Hot Links.

There are others all around town that sell the Real Thing.

Irwin

OK... This extraordinary turn of events is going to require an expedition to the great Pacific Northwest to investigate. Um... Irwin, When is morel season? :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Fifi,

Now you got my curiousity aroused. The hot links I have eaten recently are I think made in Pittsburg,TX. They are at the grocery stores here...everywhere. I am outside of Tyler, TX. I will look for brand name when out next.

There is always the possibility that I have been hanging out in the wrong places. I certainly haven't looked to buy them and smoke them myself. Now I am beginning to think that that is "the right thing to do". My most vivid memories of them are the ones Grandpa brought home from Otto's. Then, later, from the BBQ place in Luling where I would go with my dad when he had to go there to get something for the country place. Haven't been there in years. Does anyone know if they still serve them?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Fifi, Now you got my curiousity aroused. The hot links I have eaten recently are I think made in Pittsburg,TX.  They are at the grocery stores here...everywhere.  I am outside of Tyler, TX. I will look for brand name when out next.

Lucille;

Those are the folks I was trying to think of (misspoke and said Paris, should have said Pittsburg). How are those hot links, anyway? Hot enough to bring tears to your eyes :laugh:? I've been tempted to order some but haven't written the check yet. TIA.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

OK... This extraordinary turn of events is going to require an expedition to the great Pacific Northwest to investigate. Um... Irwin, When is morel season? :laugh:

fifi

come to the pacific northwest for morels but don't count on an authentic hot link. I grew up in Texas and I know of what you speak. I live in Portland now and there are plenty of authentic bbq spots but they are only authentic to the people who grew up here. If you are from the south you would be disappointed.

However, there is not much better than a morel omelette with an obsene amount of morels that you can buy for about $10/lb in season.

Rodney

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fifi: This may become one of the BIGGEST years ever for Morel Gathering.

This is due to the fact the traditionally after any burns Morels are much more abundent in the burn areas.

My son has been collecting much more this year then he's ever experience on the Northern California areas.

I've heard of them in Seattle. My favorite is to collect 'Puff Balls", in the spring. They can grown into 5/7 pounds and are increadable.

Sorry had to double read your post. Thought you ment Moral Season at first glance. Seemed to go together with Texas Barbque then Morel Mushrooms. I once read somewhere that they were sometimes found at the LBJ Ranch area.

Irwin :biggrin:

Thought you ment Moral Season at first glance.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It is ALWAYS Moral Season in the Bible Belt. (Though I don't necessarily subscribe. :biggrin: )

If theabroma checks in maybe she can tell us about morels in Texas and start a thread on that. I don't know that I have ever eaten a fresh one. I have friends in Bellingham and they have promised to take me to some of their "secret patches" if I am ever up that way during morel season.

There is a little Diamond Shamrock in Brenham that has a damn good bbq rest basically inside. They have a very good hot link as well as good bbq. Its on 290 feeder across the freeway from the Sealy Mattress plant.

My sister has a country place at Chapell Hills and goes into Brenham to shop. We will definitely check that out.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

fifi, this place is great! I can't find them online,but I did get the other stuff:

Niester's Restaurant & Deli (German)

4426 E Hwy 377, Granbury, Texas (817) 573 0211

They are closed on Mondays. They have the most enormous ham hocks I've ever seen (smoked), German groceries, German sausages and breads and pastries, and hot links!! I know it's in a weird place, but hey, if you are on your way to DFW, it's worth the stop. I gaurantee. And these are skin poppin' ear smokin' hot links.

EUREKA!

gotta love eGullet

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I guess I will have to make a little side trip over to Granbury when I come down for the Hong Kong Market tour. Plus, then I can stop at that Donut shop/sushi bar that I saw in Granbury when I was on my way to Coleman the last time. I hope it is still there.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Nemecek's Butcher Shop on Main St. in West, Texas (about 15 miles north of Waco on I-35), South Side Market in Elgin, Texas (on down I-35, and then off on 290, closer to Austin).

Theabroma

Edited by theabroma (log)

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Elgin Hot Sausage from Southside Market. Not Meyers. Hasn't anyone been to Southside BBQ in Elgin? :shock: They are about 100 years in the business (finally had to give up the location several years ago on the south side of Elgin's downtown over the RR tracks, when it burned again-for the 5th time). Now they are right on 290E as you head into town, on your right. There was a bank that went down in the '90s and Southside moved in there.

They make their own, market their own and sell their own. I think what you get from their own market is a bit hotter than what you can buy in the store. Maybe that's a mind to tongue thing. They do sell in the big and not so big groceries around Austin: HEB, Super S, for sure, and Randall's too, I think.

Don't know if City Cafe is still going in Elgin, but if it is and you want a restaurant sit down meal they used to to do a great chicken breast stuffed with Elgin hots.

And my mouth waters just thinking about those big ribs from Southside.

I lived there for years, and still need a hot sausage fix on an irregular basis. :wink:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite