• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's in NJ

Rosie

I have always hated going out on New Year's Eve and have recently made it a tradition for my wife and I to stay in, make fondue and open a bottle(or two) of Moet Nectar. There is a full year ahead to be out, right? :laugh:

A.D.S.

johnnybird and i will be exchanging our christmas presents. i have a bottle of DVX to go in the fridge, organic free range duck breasts we picked up in poughkeepsie, something with smoked salmon for john for starters, maybe some bacon wrapped shrimp, too.

hate to be out on amateur night - don't miss having to work it at all :wacko:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hubby and I will venture next door for the evening. The neighbors are making fondue, which we have never had. We're bringing shrimp cocktail and a pitchers of cocktails - probably Aviations. We're keeping it simple since we all have to work until 4:00 on New Year's Eve.

KathyM

A neighborhood couple is coming over for 'dessert' (heart healthy), then when they leave, DH will head for the sofa to snooze till 5 of 12. I will be at the 'puter and at 5 of 12, I will pour 2 glasses of cheap bubbly, wake DH up, watch the ball go down, down, down, kiss DH, swallow the cheap stuff and go to bed.

Anyone want to join us? heehee?

Actually, I will also follow my routine of stepping outside and looking at the 2003 sky and wonder what 2004 will bring. The night of 2000, I saw a shooting star, and thought it was a harbinger of good things to come. How innocently wishful I was!

(I miss Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians)

i had no idea what an Aviation was until i googled and found this.

Nightscotsman started my interest in cocktails and I think the Aviation was one of the "mystery cocktails" at one of the infamous Northwest cocktail parties he hosted. If you decide to try it, make it with the juice of Myer lemons. JAZ also recommends adding a Fabbrini Amarini (sp?) cherry - which I am still trying to track down locally.

KathyM

It's our anniversary on New Year's Eve so we're going out for a very early dinner while my Husbands Sister & BIL come watch the( 4) kids for a few hours. We figure, take it when you can get it... babysitters, that is :wink: .

Hubby likes the hibatchi table at Banzai in Hamilton so that's where we're going. It's not fancy, but kinda kitchsy fun with all the food flying, and we're sure to drink a little too much sake... can't complain about that.

We'll be home way early enough to avoid traffic and drunk drivers, and we'll still get to spend time with the kids before sending them up to bed.

staying in. my husband & I are having friends over for a dinner of lobster tails (with Prosecco), coq au vin (with wonderful red wine brought by our resident wine guru), & double chocolate souffles for dessert; with Schramsberg champagne at midnight.

definitely agree with the Yogi-ism previously quoted!

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

It's our anniversary on New Year's Eve so we're going out for a very early dinner while my Husbands Sister & BIL come watch the( 4) kids for a few hours. We figure, take it when you can get it... babysitters, that is :wink: .

Hubby likes the hibatchi table at Banzai in Hamilton so that's where we're going. It's not fancy, but kinda kitchsy fun with all the food flying, and we're sure to drink a little too much sake... can't complain about that.

We'll be home way early enough to avoid traffic and drunk drivers, and we'll still get to spend time with the kids before sending them up to bed.

it's your anniversary

have a freaking wonderful good time and ENJOY. you will be so into each other who cares what the environment is like. he can take you out to a "fancy" place for valentines day or your birthday. if you are lucky the kids will be asleep when you get home(truism #1 let sleeping children alone) but if not make sure you have a good bottle of wine on ice for later.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It's our anniversary on New Year's Eve so we're going out for a very early dinner while my Husbands Sister & BIL come watch the( 4) kids for a few hours. We figure, take it when you can get it... babysitters, that is  :wink:  .

it's your anniversary

have a freaking wonderful good time and ENJOY. you will be so into each other who cares what the environment is like. he can take you out to a "fancy" place for valentines day or your birthday. if you are lucky the kids will be asleep when you get home(truism #1 let sleeping children alone) but if not make sure you have a good bottle of wine on ice for later.

I'm staying in. I can save a few $$

Happy new year everybody - you're all great!

:D