• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyster Stew

Jaymes

Spawning season occurs when the waters warm up, but that can be as late as September (which has an "r") depending on the depth and latitude of the waters. Some people enjoy the creamier taste of spawning oysters, others do not. I still believe it was more about spoilage than anything else. But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time... :laugh:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

"In shellfish poisoning, the poisonous ingredients are toxins made by algae-like organisms called dinoflagellates, which build up in some types of seafood. There are many different types of shellfish poisoning. The most well known types are paralytic shellfish poisoning, neurotoxic shellfish poisoning, and amnestic shellfish poisoning."

"Like Ciguatera poisoning, most shellfish poisonings occur in warmer waters. However, poisonings have occurred as far north as Alaska and frequently in New England. In addition, most shellfish poisonings occur during the summer months. You may have heard the saying “Never eat seafood in months that don’t have the letter R." This includes May through August. The number of poisonings also increases when there is a "red tide." Shellfish poisoning occurs in seafood with two shells such as clams, oysters, mussels, and sometimes scallops."

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002851.htm

Warmer water in summer months is more likely to support dinoflagellate blooms("red tides") which can lead to toxins in shellfish. Plus, lack of refrigeration and warmer temperatures contribute to other kinds of food poisoning.

"In shellfish poisoning, the poisonous ingredients are toxins made by algae-like organisms called dinoflagellates, which build up in some types of seafood. There are many different types of shellfish poisoning. The most well known types are paralytic shellfish poisoning, neurotoxic shellfish poisoning, and amnestic shellfish poisoning."

"Like Ciguatera poisoning, most shellfish poisonings occur in warmer waters. However, poisonings have occurred as far north as Alaska and frequently in New England. In addition, most shellfish poisonings occur during the summer months. You may have heard the saying “Never eat seafood in months that don’t have the letter R." This includes May through August. The number of poisonings also increases when there is a "red tide." Shellfish poisoning occurs in seafood with two shells such as clams, oysters, mussels, and sometimes scallops."

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002851.htm

Warmer water in summer months is more likely to support dinoflagellate blooms("red tides") which can lead to toxins in shellfish. Plus, lack of refrigeration and warmer temperatures contribute to other kinds of food poisoning.

Well. Alrighty then.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I guess that pretty much covers it. However, I will say that the regulations on shellfish are very stringent. I know we have to keep all the "batch" tags from each and every bag/box of shellfish at our restaurant. The waters are tested. The product is tested. Everything is shipped refrigerated every minute. We don't serve any Gulf oysters from warm waters. Everything tends to be Mid-Atlantic and northward on the east coast, and Northern California and northward for the west coast. Certainly we don't close from May-August, but we're dealing with reputable vendors. Not sure if one could trust what one finds further steps away on the supply chain or from the guys at the side of road. :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Plus, lack of refrigeration and warmer temperatures contribute to other kinds of food poisoning.

This makes sense, if you think about it. After all, transportation and refrigeration issues affect many things - dairy, chicken, meats, other fish, cheeses, eggs, etc. The list is endless.

But the only commodity about which I ever heard the "month with an R" thing are oysters.

So common sense tells you that it must be something unique to them.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.