• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ich bin ein Berliner

Fresser

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

My old boss that we called "Saint Anne the Decapitator" always said that when she was finding yet another way to *ahem* cut the fat.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

HE/SHE's so ugly they fed em bisquits with a slingshot.

HE/SHE's so sorry they had to tie a porkchop around their neck so the dog would play with em.

(Bless his/her heart!)

I'm gonna <insert whatever here> if it hairlips every cow in Texas.

(I have heard this one since I was young and it still makes no sense. It is useful for driving Europeans crazy.)

I always heard it: "If it harelips the govenor". :biggrin:

One of my Grannys favorites :

"We've got enough here to feed Coxey's army"

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

"That's the way the hog ate the collards."

Meaning? Some of you have to translate your regional expressions for us Northeasterners. :laugh:

And Sconz, I've never heard "Lettuce alone without dressing," but I figure I know what it means - maybe sort of like the "One Meatball" in the song of the same name (with no potatoes, no tomatoes, and no bread).

It's better (or not :laugh: ) when said aloud.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

"Pues me dio' calabazas" is an idiom that literally translates to "She gave me pumpkins", but means "I got the old heave-ho".

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

"I've got a goose to pick with you, and you better bring a basket for the feathers"

means that you are in way deep trouble, we are gonna get to the bottom of it, and it might take a while.

I always heard "how the hog ate the gum boot", meaning something was talked over endlessly, as a hog would chew and chew and chew to eat a piece of rubber.

Not exactly food related, but a good piece of ground (farm field) is referred to as "rich as 3 feet up a bull's ass." :blink:

sparrowgrass

I'm noticing that most of these are clihes. My english professor always told me to avoid cliches like the plague. Here are some more...

Going nuts

Going bananas

Being cheesy

Apple of my eye

Candy Apple Red

That car is cherry

The paint is orangepeeled

Got him right in the melon

Quit trying to butter me up

To old to cut the mustard

Cauliflower ear

Mutton chops

Flat as a pancake

A big beefy guy

Something's fishy

Champagne wishes and caviar dreams

20 lashes with a wet noodle

John Tesh (for exapmle) is whitebread

The chitlin circuit

That's corny

Now that I have officially beaten this dead horse...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I'm not too old to cut the mustard; I just can't get the jar open by myself.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.