• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Torakris - New Year's Festivities in Japan

torakris

I've never heard of anyone eating the fruit of the pandanus plant, and I lived in a pandanus-growing area for 2 years. Malaysians use the leaves to make mats (tikar) and to flavor desserts. At least, I always assumed it was the leaves that were used to flavor (and give a green color to) desserts!

Michael aka "Pan"

Helen, I think sushi is really popular in the U.S., but I can speak as someone who never liked raw fish until I had a taste of really top-quality sashimi. It really makes a difference if the raw fish you're exposed to is either fishy or has no taste and is just a texture.

Thank you for your wonderful blog, Kristin, and for your contributions to it, Helen!

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks everyone for reading the blog and thanks to Helen for helping me along! :biggrin:

and for an update, it looks like Julia does have a very mild case of the mumps....... :sad:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"