• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Reading?

woodford

On the nightstand for the past several months and already read and reread: What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained by Robert Wolke.

Also, Beard on Food, a collection of Beard's essays that I found at the library.

I've just added Fisher's "Art of Eating" and Cecchini's "Cosmopolitan" to my amazon wishlist; both sound like winners.

Edited by Lawen (log)

"The best thing I ever tasted: the secret of food", by Sallie Tisdale. Author of "Talk dirty to me". It's kind of a combination of memoir/history of food/sociology of food.

I read that last summer. There are some interesting things in there.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza by Peter Reinhart. The first half is about he & his wife's quest for the perfect pie in Italy and America. Chicago vs. New York, Pepe's vs. Sally's, etc. The second half is recipes that look really, really good. The spicy oil from Al Forno in Providence looks awesome. Looking forward to making some pie this weekend.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

"The best thing I ever tasted:  the secret of food", by Sallie Tisdale.  Author of "Talk dirty to me".  It's kind of a combination of memoir/history of food/sociology of food.

I read that last summer. There are some interesting things in there.

oh, oh... read that about a year ago...definitely good for thought

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Maybe this should be a different thread, but does anyone buy or check out older cook or cooking related books? 40's, 50's, 60's,70's,80's, what? Name your favorites!

My mom found me a 1961 "New York Times Cook Book" Edited by Craig Claiborne which I've been perusing.

It's great. The photos are horrible, even the color ones make anything look un-appetizing! Haha.

Many recipes are classics, but all pre-cuisinart and pre-sushi!

Just once fois gras is mentioned, and we are told to always serve cold, cut in small cubes, and with buttered toast points.

Everything is served with "buttered toast points"!!! :biggrin:

So 60's!

JANE

I bought myself a Christmas gift that looked interesting. I am only a chapter or two into it..but not disappointed. It's called " A Thousand Years over a Hot Stove" and subtitled: An History of American Women told through Food, Recipes and remembrances" by Laura Schenone. It's part history, part story telling.

I just started Lamb:The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. This book fills in the gaps in the other gospels and covers the life of Jesus Christ's "missing years" as seen and told through the eyes of Levi, aka Biff, Jesus' (he's called Joshua in the book) childhood best buddy. This book is hysterically funny and quite possibly blasphemous to the true believer, but well worth wiping the tears from your eyes and the belly aches you'll get from laughing out loud. And to keep this food related - I'm not quite there yet, but I presume there a chapter or discussion of The Last Supper. :biggrin:

A little taste of dialogue from the book HERE

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Kitchen Confidential! It's awesome. After hanging around EG for a while, I became fascinated about all the talk of A.B. Now I know what everyone was talking about. I actually do a lot of reading. Kitchen Confidential I must say, is one of the best reads I have picked up in years. I am absolutely mesmerized. This guy can write! I have to tear myself away just to get back to my daily business.

Also, I picked up A Cooks Tour for $2.49 at a Borders Outlet store. I expect to get started on this within a day or two because I know I'll be done with KC in no time.

Gotta get back to KC. Man this book is amazing!

just finished "Found Meals of the Lost Generation" just cracking open "Salt"

After reading "Olive" i've become obsessed with finding Spanish Olive Oil. great history lesson on the mediterranean region. I only buy books after reading them from the library, bought too many duds otherwise.

Was primarily reading Gagnaire: Sweet and Savory, which I waited for for months, but got 3 new cookbooks for Christmas:

1. French Laundry Cookbook

2. Balthazar Cookbook

3. East of Paris: The New Cuisines of Austria and the Danube

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Maliaty

Yes, the China Moon book is now on my list of must-haves - the library will insist I return their copy in less than three weeks! :sad:

Have you found the szechwan peppercorns yet. I've got this Huge bag of ginger sitting in my fridge as we speak, it's amazing what a haul 3 lbs of ginger is. The peeling of said ginger...ugh

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

i have to admit of the collection of books i have i rarely actually use them. Except for condiments and deserts. There's one book that I used alot, and my kids usually still ask for food from (because the titles to the recipes are soo over the top-that they ask for them specificaly) It's call Looney Spoons. The Hungry Guy Chicken Pie is their all time most asked for dish. I just sub'd the cream of mushroom for cream of onion and mushroom. And any left over chicken goes immediately into the freezer, no matter how small the leftover, for this dish. And leftover boiled potatoe is so much better than fresh.

A Return to Cooking by Eric Ripert and Michael Rulhman

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!