• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Duck Fat: The Topic

FoodMan

I posted my method for rendering lard here. I don't see why it wouldn't work with duck fat.

Fifi; I'm sure that method would work fine. If you're in a hurry, the way I mentioned works well, but could probably be improved. Usually, I'm just rendering enough duck fat to brown the duck breast and andouille for jambalaya, so it doesn't really matter a lot.

It never crossed my mind to start out with water in the bottom of the pan (I use a cast iron skillet for the browning). Your method also fits with the stories my Mom used to tell about hog killing time. They started with water in a huge iron kettle (outdoors) to boil the hog to remove the bristles, then continued on, ultimately getting to the process of rendering the lard. Thanks for the link.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

It works well and you can actually get more than one kind of lard. I also do it in the oven, just throw it in there and forget it. You don't get the clear mild lard that way but I am not much of a baker. I think I will put the methods in RecipeGullet since it comes up from time to time and I always have a hard time finding that thread.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I also start the fat in a little water, because that's how I saw my mother do it with chicken fat. It helps to keep the melting gentle and the fat and skin from burning before all the fat is melted.

If you do a search on "gribenes" (one of the Jewish names for "cracklings") you may find other methods. But really, the simple ways are the best. And if you need another disposal site, I'll send you my address. They ARE lethal, ya know. :laugh:

I fogot about the gribenes. I haven't had that in ages. You used to be able to get them at a Jewish butcher and deli in Bellaire, TX. I don't think it is there anymore.

I did finally get around to puttiing the lard methods into RecipeGullet here. I would use the top of the stove method for poultry fat.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 1 year later...

Oooh, Duck Fat. I just saw it at the store wanted to get it but forced myself to hold off until I had some ideas for uses.

So I came here. I found some good ideas on this thread but was wondering if anyone has other suggestions on uses for Duck Fat. Specific things you have made would help me to get an idea of uses. :biggrin:

Thanks!

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

There's an entire French repertoire of potatoes sautéed or roasted in duck fat. Many of them end up being showered with persillade — minced parsley, garlic and, sometimes, chives — just before serving. Paula Wolfert's The Cooking of Southwest France is a good source of recipes; the revised edition is slated for publication this fall. Duck fat is also a great medium for sautéing vegetables and seafood. Try rubbing it on chicken before roasting and using it as the fat for browning poultry and rabbit. It can also replace part of the butter, lard or shortening in savoury pastries. Believe it or not, it's actually healthier than many other fats, especially butter.

Believe it or not, it's actually healthier than many other fats, especially butter.

This is promoted on the packaging, althought I do find it hard to believe. I guess I will just have to pick some up now that I have some ideas on how to use it. :rolleyes:

Roasted Potatoes for sure. Probably a Chicken Saute. Ooh, I'll check to see - maybe in matzah kugel, hmmmm.

I'll keep checking back for other ideas.

Thanks,

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Just wondering: when people make say, duck confit, which seems to require quite a lot of duck fat, are you buying the duck fat, or are you rendering it out of previous ducks?

How much fat is needed to confit a bunch of duck legs, maybe six?

How much does this amount of duck fat cost, if you're buying it?

Or how many ducks would you need to render to accumulate that fat? How would one render the duck fat from a whole duck? Can the duck still be eaten, or has it been sacrificed, like for stock?

Too many questions? :unsure:

Just wondering: when people make say, duck confit, which seems to require quite a lot of duck fat, are you buying the duck fat, or are you rendering it out of previous ducks?

Or how many ducks would you need to render to accumulate that fat? How would one render the duck fat from a whole duck? Can the duck still be eaten, or has it been sacrificed, like for stock?

Ooohh

I have some in the frig from the last time ( it was also the first time :unsure: ) I made magret duck breast. And I've got the same questions!!!!

So while I'm waiting for the answers I think I'll take gourmande's suggestion and roast some potatoes.

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

There are several threads on this subject that I am too lazy to search for right now.

I have never bought rendered duck fat or a box of fat for rendering. All of mine comes from the butchering of whole ducks

How much you need depends on the size and shape of your pot. The tighter the legs fit, the less fat you need. For six legs, the rendered fat from one duck would probably be marginal; two ducks plenty.

You sacrifice nothing. Buy two whole ducks. Bone out the breasts, trim off the excess fat, score the skin left on the the breasts, reserve the breasts and saute/roast for dinner. Remove the leg quarters, trim off the excess fat, reserve the legs for confit. Now trim off as much of the fat and skin as you can from the carcass, add that to the fat from steps 1 and 2, render that fat. Saute the livers lightly and eat right away as a snack. Take everything you have left -- the carcass, wing bones, neck, heart and gizzard and reserve for stock (alternatively, confit the gizzard and heart).

If you are really nuts over duck, chop up the skin left over from rendering the fat and crisp it up in the oven; sprinkle liberally over salads or scrambled eggs.

When you are all the way finished, the only things you will be throwing away are the used up stock bones and the leg and thigh bones from confit with your lip prints all over them.

Edit: Can't spel

Edited by MichaelB (log)

I use duck fat I've rendered myself (from duck breasts I sauté, whole ducks I roast and trimmings from ducks cut up for braising) and fat recycled from store-bought confit and earlier homemade batches. Any shortfall I make up with purchased duck fat, goose fat and artisanal lard.

It depends on the size and fattiness of your duck legs (moulards are big and fatty, pekins often half the size and leaner) and the size of the cooking and storage vessels. Paula Wolfert's recipe in The Cooking of Southwest France calls for 6 cups per 4½–5 lbs. of duck. With my particular setup, it's more like 6½ cups.

Prices vary widely. In gourmet stores, a one-cup tub will run about C$5. Some butchers that handle a lot of duck will sell the same amount for around C$3.

Again, it depends on the duck; some are much fatter than others. Most ducks have globs of fat in their cavity that you can pull or cut out and render in a saucepan. When roasting a duck, collect the fat that melts and leaves the bird through the holes you've pierced in the skin, especially where the legs join the body. When sautéing duck breasts, score the skin and cook the breast skin side down over medium low heat until brown, removing the rendered fat before it browns; you should get 1/3–1/2 cup per breast. The fat from trimmed skin can be rendered in the same way.

Store the rendered fat in a glass or plastic container in the fridge for a few weeks or in the freezer indefinitely until you have enough to make confit.

I made duck confit at the beginning of the week following the recipe in The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. He calls for 750g of fat for two legs though I presume you'd need a smaller ratio for more legs. Not having lots of ducks on hand I bought some goose fat and found for my particular setup that I used about 700g worth.

I guess you want to make sure you have enough fat to cover the legs when cooking and then to store them.

First time making them - can't wait to taste the results :rolleyes:

Not too long ago, I made a grilled cheese sandwich with duck fat. It felt like the height of extrvagance.

I have also cooked potato latkes in goose fat, which had very pleasing results. I'm pretty sure duck fat would be equally lovely.

I make a point of cooking at least one goose and one duck every 6 months to keep me in fat. I keep it in tupperware in the freezer and just chip off a piece when I need it.

Either work nicely for my favorite sauerkraut recipe:

Saute 1/4 cup diced pancetta in goose (or duck) fat until browned, remove and reserve.

Add 1/2 medium onion diced fine, saute until soft.

Add 1/2 granny smith apple sliced thin, pancetta, about 2 cups of sauerkraut (you made this yourself in a harsch crock right? you should!), 1/4 cup reisling, about a 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper (up to 1/2 tsp. if you like it, I do), some water if your kraut isn't real juicy. It should be about half covered in liquid.

Optional is a pinch of caraway seed (I always use it) and fennel seed (sometimes I use it).

Simmer low for 35 to 45 min. Kraut should be nice and tender.

Eat with assorted wurst and boiled potatoes with caraway. Wurst is best boiled slow then browned in a touch of the goose (duck) fat.

Edited by majkeli (log)

Soup is good food.

• 6 months later...

While eating at our favorite restaurant this evening, the chef mentioned having too much duck fat in the walk-in. To make a long story short, I wound up taking home about two gallons of the stuff. You have to help me out. Besides duck confit and frying potatoes, what can I do with this stuff?

How long can I keep it in the fridge? Can I freeze some of it?

Thanks

Dan

Start using it whenever you would use oil or butter (except on toast, I guess). You'll be surprised how quickly it will get used up. Like Abra said, if used in conjunction with butter, it makes an amazing tart shell. I've got 8 pounds in my fridge as we speak (I am making confit this weekend) and hope I have plenty of leftovers to last a while. It will keep just fine and adds amazing depth of flavor to things cooked.