• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yunnan ham

SteveW

Not available here unfortunately, though I have seen sausage (lop cheung) that purportedly came from China. My local butcher told me about it and sold it. Haven't tried it. It's supposed to have a different flavor profile than the local stuff.

Smithfield ham is a very good substitute. It is typically cooked before using it. To do this: 1) Wash ham well using plenty of water and a brush to remove any exterior mold. 2) Cover the ham with fresh cold water and soak it overnight to remove some extra salt (this is not a necessity, but a good idea) 3) Bring the ham to a boil in fresh water to cover, spoon away any foam which floats to the surface, then simmer gently, replenishing the water so that the ham is alway sugmerged, until tender: for 3-4 hours. Cool and trim before using.

For a ham that doesn't need to be cooked, the Von Welanetz's "Guide to Ethnic Ingredients" recommends Westphalian ham - the redder the better. They also say the best substitutes are Smithfield and Virginia hams , which need to be cooked.

I have found that several of the imported Spanish Hams. as well as Italian Hams are acceptable in place of Yunnan Ham. The domestic versions still have quite away to go before they will become comparable.

Even in Hong Kong I when I was able to experiment with the simularities of the Yunnan Type Hams there seemed to be a kinship with several of the Spanish Hams.

I understant that they are sometimes available in Vancover, BC Canada Asian Markets.

Somehow i've never felt that any of the Virginia Hams did not have the character or flavor comparable to Yunnan Hams.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I read somewhere that Prosciutto was a good substitute, but I don't remember the source.

jo-mel:

The only type of Prosciutto that can be compared to Yunnan type Ham is the varieties from "Parma".

If you wast the closest available Ham they try to obtain Spanish Serrano Ham or if you can find it French Bayonne.

All these Hams including the Chinese Yunnan or Jinhua Hams are naturally Air Dried none of them are Smoked.

I prefer the Spanish as they have the wonderfull moistness that also unique to the Yunnan Hams.

Irwin

Is Chinese Yunnan ham available anywhere in America? I don't think so, but people here might know better. Is it comparable in taste to Smithfield ham, as has been mentioned in some writeups?

-Steve

I don't think importation of hams of any type from China is permitted. I personally got nailed at SF International for having a nice hunk of Jinhua ham in my luggage. $50 on the spot and a stern lecture.

Is Chinese Yunnan ham available anywhere in America? I don't think so, but people here might know better. Is it comparable in taste to Smithfield ham, as has been mentioned in some writeups?

-Steve

I don't think importation of hams of any type from China is permitted. I personally got nailed at SF International for having a nice hunk of Jinhua ham in my luggage. $50 on the spot and a stern lecture.

Gary: They must have you on "The List".

I've had friends who have carried it into the country in their carry on or personal luggage and most got through but those whom were stopped only had it confiscated. Non were ever fined.

I've brought Hong Kong made "Lap Chong and Duck Sausage" thru customs from Vancover BC and been passed without any comment or warning.

My next trip i'll be returning with a Yunnan Ham since i've been told it's now available in Canada, but i'll most likely have someone else try bringing some in, since I don't get to Vancover that often.

If I luck out i'll send you a hunk, just to get on the good side of your Shanghai half . I understand that they also are getting the Shanghai Eels served Sizziling with Black Pepper and may get Fresh Water Crabs this Winter.

Irwin :rolleyes:

Yunnan ham, now available in Canada!! I'm on this case immediately. I have a contact in Vancouver, who's very knowledgeable about Chinese food, & can confirm it's availability in at least Vancouver. If it's available in Vancouver, then it must be available in Toronto. My brother lives in Toronto. He can bring me Yunnan ham from Toronto, when he comes visits Montreal for the holidays next week.

I know Serrano ham from Spain is illegal in Canada. As is French Bayonne ham from France.

Irwin, when you say Fresh Water Crabs this winter, do you mean the Hairy Crabs from Asia(it's currently Hairy Crab season over there)? I've also been wondering if fresh Hairy Crabs(in season) are available in America.

-Steve

Gary: They must have you on "The List".

I've had friends who have carried it into the country in their carry on or personal luggage and most got through but those whom were stopped only had it confiscated. Non were ever fined.

I'm on their list NOW.

After SFO opened its new International Terminal it added a secondary Department of Agriculture inspection station outside of the routine customs stations. I happened to come by when they were making everyone run all their bags through X-ray machines.

The $50 fine was for making a false declaration. I had checked the "NO" box on the contraband list. I was technically not lying because I had made it a point to be out of the room when my brother-in-law loaded our bags with goodies to take back :wink:.

Yunnan ham, now available in Canada!! I'm on this case immediately. I have a contact in Vancouver, who's very knowledgeable about Chinese food, & can confirm it's availability in at least Vancouver. If it's available in Vancouver, then it must be available in Toronto. My brother lives in Toronto. He can bring me Yunnan ham from Toronto, when he comes visits Montreal for the holidays next week.

I know Serrano ham from Spain is illegal in Canada. As is French Bayonne ham from France.

Irwin, when you say Fresh Water Crabs this winter, do you mean the Hairy Crabs from Asia(it's currently Hairy Crab season over there)? I've also been wondering if fresh Hairy Crabs(in season) are available in America.

-Steve

Steve: Your mentioning that Spanish or French Hams aren't legal in Canada makes me question if my information is correct.

Since the USA has been importing various Spanish, Italian and French Hams recently. i'm surprised that they aren't available in Canada. The Canadian Goverment has been more ammeniable for Seafood and Fruit or Vegetable imports then America. Especially on items from Hawaii and the Pacific such as Mangos and Fruits.

I was told that they had received the Fresh Water Crabs [Hairy Crabs] last year and it was rumored that some were imported into San Francisco but not verified. I'm sure that if they were shipped into the bay area that Gary Soup would hear about that occurance.

I'm ready to travel anywhere that I could indulge in the Crabs on this continent, especially with the Ginger/Crabapple Tea.

Irwin :raz:

Irwin, I've been inquiring about Serrano Ham from Spain, & to a smaller extent French Bayonne from France for years, but I have been told by everyone that it's illegal in Canada. I haven't seen it in Montreal ever(only domestic versions of these hams).

-Steve

I was told that they had received the Fresh Water Crabs [Hairy Crabs] last year and it was rumored that some were imported into San Francisco but not verified. I'm sure that if they were shipped into the bay area that Gary Soup would hear about that occurance.

I don't recalling hearing about them being available locally last year. I don't know if imports of live ones would be allowed, but I'm beginning to think that frozen crabs might not be out of the question. Lately I've noticed that frozen large shrimp from China are available (for the first time in my recollection), at a considerably lower price than those farmed in South America. Maybe China's entry into WTO has eliminated some barriers.

Irwin, you could always go to Holland for Shanghai hairy crabs; it appears that the little devils have an expat community there.

Shanghai Hairy Crabs in Holland

Gary: WOW !!! : That would really be a DUTCH TREAT :raz:

I'm amazed that the Europeans haven't realized that they have available some of the best tasting Crabs available anywhere.

They are certainly superior in taste to most of the Crabs i've eaten anywhere, but this may be due to the fact that they are only available seasonally at their best.

Fat [Roe] containing Female Crabs in the larger size have always been expensive where ever they are sold, cetainly more expensive then they cost in Holland, but even though air fare costs for international travel are more reasonable then domestic i'll wait till they are available on our Continent.

The temptations in Holland are two much to have to deal with and would effect my concentration on eating the crabs, but not my appetite.

Irwin

My contact in Vancouver hasn't seen either Yunnan ham or Hairy Crabs in the city. She thinks it's illegal to bring these two items into Canada. Although she would not be surprised if Yunnan ham is being smuggled in. My brother hasn't seen either Yunnan ham or Hairy Crabs in the Chinese satellite towns of Toronto.

-Steve

-Steve

Steve: Your mentioning that Spanish or French Hams aren't legal in Canada makes me question if my information is correct.

Since the USA has been importing various Spanish, Italian and French Hams recently. i'm surprised that they aren't available in Canada. The Canadian Goverment has been more ammeniable for Seafood and Fruit or Vegetable imports then America. Especially on items from Hawaii and the Pacific such as Mangos and Fruits.

I'm ready to travel anywhere that I could indulge in the Crabs on this continent, especially with the Ginger/Crabapple Tea.

Sorry Irwin, I sort of misread one part of what you wrote. As far as your information. I know that Serrano ham from Spain is allowed in the US. The Proscuitto Parma & Proscuitto San Daniele from Italy, are allowed in the US. I'm not aware that French Bayonne ham from France is allowed in the US.

Proscuitto Parma from Italy is allowed into Canada, while Proscuitto San Daniele from Italy is not allowed into Canada.

-Steve

• 8 months later...

Irwin, since our discussion here about Serrano Ham being illegal in Canada, the situation has changed. It's now legal to bring in Serrano Ham from Spain into Canada. I know it's available on a limited basis in Montreal & Toronto(only know of one location in Montreal, & it's a members' only private club restaurant). Still haven't had a confirmation, that Yunnan Ham from China is available in Vancouver.

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

• 5 months later...

Hello-

Is anyone aware of any reference materials as to how Yunnan or Xuanwei hams are fabricated? I have done quite a bit of research and come up empty handed or gotten contradictory information from marginal sources.

There could be a nice pork based reward in it for the person who can help me.

Thanks-

Craig