• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aspartame

jat

O.K. We can't be paranoid about everything, so I erased the article on Aspartame.

Stevia is a natural sweetener, available in packet forms, that does not affect

blood sugar.

Does anyone know much about Splenda? That is what I usually use.

Edited on 10:30 by jat

Edited by jat (log)

On occasion when I fail to add my sugar substitute packets to my purse, I

am left with the decision of whether to add those little pink packets to my tea.

Here's some information on Aspartame, that will help me to completely avoid

it forever:

Aspartame, brand name Equal or Nutrasweet, is an artificial sweetener . It is

found in those little pink packets, and it's found in diet soda, chewing gum, and

most everything labeled "sugar free". Aspartame is a chemical made from

wood alcohol. In its raw form, it can cause blindness in the presence of heat.

It turns to formaldehyde in the body, the same substance that is grouped

in the class with poisons such as cyanide and arsenic. It can be the culprit

for numerous health problems in which causes are never discovered.

The FDA has documented over 90 symptoms of aspartame toxiicity. These

symptoms include headache, muscle spasms, vertigo, tendon and ligament pain,

confusion, poor memory and fatigue.

I have also read in Medical Journals that it changes the dna, and it manifests

behavioral changes, aggressive behavior.

blood sugar.

Splenda is made from sugar it is Dextrose and maltodextrin sucrose made by McNeil. It has a slight aftertaste. There web site has a lot of useful info on the product.

BTW NutraSweet is in a blue package. Saccharin is pink. Splenda is yellow.

Living hard will take its toll...

Sounds like an uncited hysterical rant to me. Rather like the person who went off on the Daily Gullet earlier in the year howling about MSG being "brain poison." :wacko:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

But good coffee and good tea need no sweetener, and bad coffee and tea are not worth drinking. Why bother either way?

Splenda, being closely related chemically to sugar, apparently works well in cooking. I find it much too sweet. Why bother?

Sodium saccharine was banned in the US 30 years ago or so as a suspected carcinogen. Again, why bother?

Sounds like an uncited hysterical rant to me.  Rather like the person who went off on the Daily Gullet earlier in the year howling about MSG being "brain poison."  :wacko: 

Yeah, I always call neurotransmitters "brain poison" too. :wacko:

Keep in mind, though, being closely related to sugar doesn't always count a whole lot in the body. There is a beast known as "invert sugar" that is chemically exactly like sugar except for it being the mirror image of our much-beloved alpha-D-glucose. Seriously! This is no Star Trek thing. This stuff is not biologically available as an energy or flavor source. [whisper] Fortunately, Mother nature provided for water to provide enough impetus for alpha-L-glucose to spontaneously switch to alpha-D-glucose so we're safe [/whisper]

Edit to fix crazy inscrutible quoting foul up.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

But good coffee and good tea need no sweetener. . . . Why bother?

Some of us like our coffee and tea sweet and/or liberally doused in half-and-half. I don't care how good a cup of coffee is, I can't enjoy it without a couple packets of sweetener. My preference is Splenda, although I'm not worried about aspartame or saccharin either.

:blink: WHT , Thanks for the correction. Wasn't it Cher who used to advertize

for those blue packets?

Whenever January approaches I think of starting over and thinking very

healthy. My December Journal discussed eliminating 3 products:

Hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, and aspartame. My husband drinks

at least a six pack of sodas a day. Drinking more water to cleanse the

body of toxins makes alot of sense. Sodas can be dehydrating and

rob us of calcium. I drink a soda, but I try to drink alot of water too.

When splenda came out, I've been using that.

Our bodies are complex, and I feel it worth considering what we feed it.

Edited by jat (log)

Hysterical rant? I have personally researched medical volumes for a paper.

Thank you. I have some BRILLIANT friends who won't touch the stuff when

we go out to eat. One is working on the SARS virus. And an aids vaccine is

pending. Others are Nobel prize winners and I feel they have a broad range

of knowledge.

My very close friend, my age died of a brain tumor November 15. Young

people 26 years of age are dying from serious illnesses.

I think we need to have an open mind about chemicals and additives.

I think it best that I spend my time on the Recipe Gullet next year and it's

recipe discussion. I don't like to be bothered by comments like yours.

I'll keep it food simple from now on. RECIPES ONLY. I'll wait for next year.

My husband used to be a big diet soda drinker. A couple of years ago he started complaining about forgetfulness and fuzzy thinking.....it was scary. I remembered an article I had read about artificial sweeteners and their effect on brain function. I had him stop drinking that stuff and switch to water and unsweetened tea. The problem went away after a week or so.

I'm a believer....

For what it's worth - Diet Rite soda is sweetened with Splenda and acesulfame potassium, and does not contain aspartame. It's what we drink at home, (a) just in case and (b) because we prefer the taste.

don't write off neuro-toxins as hysteria.

research is still coming to the forefront.

as far as artificial sweeteners, about the only one i can tolerate, and endorse is stevia. of course i prefer to just go without sweetener. but for those who can't, if your not willing to use real sugar of some sort, stevia is the best alternative.

Edited by tryska (log)

Well... there are toxins and there are toxins. Potatoes, bamboo shoots and taro all contain toxins that can kill you, and I don't see too many people on eGullet worrying about them.

The fact is that there is really no hard evidence that aspartame is all that bad for you.

As for the brilliant people and Nobel Prize winners who are afraid of aspartame... Let me just say that I would be very surprised if anyone on these forums has met more NP winners than I. I even have a picture of myself at lunch with Linus Pauling. The fact is, however, that as brilliant as these people may be in some areas, they can be just as whacky in others. Megadoses of Vitamin C, anyone?

While I would agree that it is important to have an open mind about chemicals and additives, I would suggest that it is even more important to have a critical and skeptical mind when it comes to reports that such an extensively tested and examined substance is crossing the blood-brain barrier and causing brain tumors, cognitive impairment and so forth. For example, this article here (TechTalk from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology) says, "Despite the high consumption of aspartame, the 48 normal subjects showed no changes in mood, memory, behavior, electroencephalograms (which record the electrical signals of the brain) or physiology that could be tied to aspartame, Dr. Spiers found. Although some subjects reported headaches, fatigue, nausea and acne, the same number of incidences were reported by subjects taking placebo and sugar as those taking aspartame." The Food and Drug Administration says, "Analysis of the National Cancer Institute's public data base on cancer incidence in the United States -- the SEER Program -- does not support an association between the use of aspartame and increased incidence of brain tumors." They also say, "To date, FDA has not determined any consistent pattern of symptoms that can be attributed to the use of aspartame, nor is the agency aware of any recent studies that clearly show safety problems."

--

Heh. Include me in that group!

You may be right about the NP guys, accounting for conferences, etc. My exposure to pointy heads mostly comes because I am the son of a very well-known scientist (Nat'l Academy member, etc.).

--

O.K. We can't be paranoid about everything, so I erased the article on Aspartame.

blood sugar.

Edited on 10:30 by jat

My dad, both a doctor and a type II diabetic who spent the first ten years after he was diagnosed controlling his blood sugar with diet only and only recently started taking small doses of oral insulin, uses Splenda. I actually rather like it for cooking.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

apparently i'm part of that minority that gets headaches, chills, and fatigues from nutrasweet (nothing makes me crash out faster than being accidentally dosed with diet coke), gets damn near anaphylactic shock from ace-k (tingly back of the tongue, it swells, i find it hard to breathe etc) and i'll admit i haven't had enough splenda to tell you if it gives me any strange reactions, but i know that i can taste it in that spot on the back of my tongue like i can nutrasweet and ace-k, so i just stay away.

apparently i'm part of that minority that gets headaches, chills, and fatigues from nutrasweet (nothing makes me crash out faster than being accidentally dosed with diet coke), gets damn near anaphylactic shock from ace-k (tingly back of the tongue, it swells, i find it hard to breathe etc)...

That's very odd. The FDA says that "carefully controlled clinical studies show that aspartame is not an allergen."

I wonder if it's something else. Do you get the same reaction from just raw aspartame by itself? I wonder if if would happen if you drank a diet coke that had been spiked with enough high fructose corn syrup that you were unable to taste the difference. I am not suggesting, of course, that you don't react the way you say you react. I just wonder a bit about what might be causing it.

--

i'm really not sure.....i tested myself a few times - well

actually i had the aspartame gumballs when they first came out - i got headaches and chills (i was maybe 13). didn't like the bitter taste either, so i just never used it again.

tried a diet coke in college - got the headache and chills again.

accidentally got a diet sprite at a drive-thru in my early 20s, on my lunch hour - decided to suck it up, literally, and wound up having to leave early so i could curl up in a ball in bed shivering and unable to move, again with pounding headahce.

that was the worst time ever. i think the reaction is dose dependent tho - i can take for instance, protein shakes with very minute levels of nutrasweet, and tolerate them okay, but often times there's lots more in the shake to maybe act as a buffer as opposed to straight nutrasweet and water.

i tried this once with an ace-k sweetened protein powder and that was the time i had a mild anaphylactic reaction.

i don't know if this is just myth or not, but i've heard that people who can actually taste nutrasweet are typically the same people who have adverse reactions to it.

to me it tastes like poison. (but i don't know if that's a clouded pavlovian perception or not)

Edited by tryska (log)

yes - stevia is a plant - while not synthetic in my mind it is an artifical sweetener, as it doesn't contain "sugar" of some sort.

I'd propose to call it an "alternative sweetener," but I definitely would not use the words "synthetic" or "artificial."

Michael aka "Pan"

Tryska, while a reaction of this type is not common, it has been known to happen with many drugs or other things. I have heard of people having allergic reactions to ibuprofen (certainly much to small to attach to an antibody itself) and various therapeutic steroids. It's really fascinating about how and why this happens. But, I will leave it at there are certain small populations that get allergic reactions to non-allergenic foods and drugs, including aspartame.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

jsolomons - yeah i know - i don't put a whole lot of stock in the FDA anyway - too deep in the pockets of the Pharmaceuticals.

i can only say that this is what happens to me. And i have no other allergies, except to mango skins. I don't have na overly sensitive system, but at the same time, i'm quite body-aware, if that makes sense, so i pay close attention to and changes in my equilibrium.

i guess i also work on the principal that if it doesn't work well with me and my constitiution, it ain't kosher - especially with it's man-made products.

pan - i can go with alternative sweetener. i think in terms of nutrition, calories counts, glycemic indexes, etc. so that may be where the semantics differ.

I changed my mind, I decided to write my final post on the boards before 2004.

Slkinsey,

I am not saying aspartame is associated with brain tumors. I know that alot of

young people are dying with serious problems.

Also a study of 48, is no study. Have you looked at recent studies? Medical

journals, the actual scientific studies?

Do you just like to be argumentative? I don't understand how the "pointy heads"

deserve less, when their medical knowledge saves millions of lives..

Do you give no credence to the hours spent in labs testing, researching..

Or the charitable side I have observed that few acknowledge or get to observe..

I admire the medical genius. I don't know what you've observed, but from my

viewpoint I am grateful that these dedicated people are working overtime.

Take a look at this ( . ) HIV is so small that 230 milliion hiv particles would

fit on that dot. Anyone who can figure out the chemical and biological aspects

of how to fight the virus deserves profound respect. I have seen the

mathematical equations in figuring out the theories.

And you are aspiring to writing food articles? That is good, but on a humanitarian

scale I will let you do the comparison in retrospect to the task of what

is needed to solve some of the world problems. This is why I respect their

opinion due to a scientific background that few have.

I have made the decision to drop the boards discussions, due to the

RUDE nature of responses. This is something I do not look forward to.

I may post recipes only and discuss them on ReclipeGullet.comCenter only. So no more response will be forthcoming. jat