• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Meat - March Marathon

VivreManger

This is to confirm the Smoked Meat marathon described in my message. Please PM if you are interested in participating. Once I have a critical mass I will post more information so others can join us.

At the moment SteveW and Kenk have expressed interest. I don't know if DaveKemp wants in as well. I have in mind Saturday, 20 March.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd love to go with you guys, but i am a smoked meat wuss. :laugh:

under no circumstances could i eat more than one smoked meat sandwich, and so this might not be the right field trip for me.

but enjoy yourselves! and bring Tums... :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Actually I have thought of that problem.

If there are enough of us, we can divide up the sandwiches so the wusses need only take a 1/4 or less. I myself have wondered what would happen to me after the second or third target so I need all the help and tums we can muster (mustard).

Four or five destinations are probably the max: Schwartz's, The Main, Snowdon Del, Pete's (in the West island, I believe) and Georges in Laval (I believe). Those last two will take long enough to get to, that by then we would be ready for supper anyway.

In preparation, I have shed about 8 pounds during the last two weeks and hope to lose another few. One eGulleteer who turned down the invitation suggested that we bring “a cardiologist and defibrillator along just in case”. Up to this moment, Kenk gus_tatory, and Riboflavinjoe and perhaps one or two others have expressed interest. My car can accommodate four beyond me. Though if the girth expands it may be a bit tight in the back. If any more want to join – and more are most welcome -- we will need another car and driver.

The idea was inspired in part by a conference honoring Mordecai Richler in which I will participate at the Institute for the Study of Canada at McGill. I may gather a few other Rabelasian types from that meeting so the more cars the better.

At this point I must pose a question of eGullet etiquette. Hitherto I have described this in general terms w/o reference to specific dates, times, and places – these have been confined to PMs. How specific may one be in announcing this event? I have no claim to making this an official eGullet event, but I would like some guidelines.

Four or five destinations are probably the max:  Schwartz's, The Main, Snowdon Del, Pete's (in the West island, I believe)...

ok, we need to tell them at Smoked Meat Pete's that their radio ad is vaguely offensive.

on CJAD radio today: "You can't beat Pete's meat." :wacko::blink:

how does this stuff get past the CRTC? :laugh:

edit to add: CRTC = Canadian Radio and Telecommunications Commission.

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

--Isak Dinesen

On the discussion of smoked meats. There is a guy selling smoked meats on eBay under the name of "hungarian_sausage" that has the best smoked sausages and Rib Bacon "Rippenspeck" I have ever eaten. I ordered the Csabai and Rippenspeck and still can not get it out of my mind. All I can say is WOW, Amazing and how can this be. As I understand it, this guy is an old timer from the old country making this great stuff as a hobby. Oh well, sometimes you find the best stuff in unusual places. Just thought I would let you know.

Abies should be considered as part of the itinerary.

Again an offshoot of Schwartz's.

Abies is in the west island (St-Johns Blvd.), Smoked Meat Petes is just off the western tip of the island on Highway 20.

Smoked Meat Marathon is one week away, 20 March.

Now it's time to plan the details.

So far 7 people wish to join:

Rabbit Angstrom

Jersey 13

pss999

Kenk

gus_tatory

poutine ??

VM

I have the direct email contacts for the first four, but not for the last two. I would prefer to email directly each of you so I would be grateful if gus... and poutine would be in touch via email and not pm so we can coordinate this more efficiently. Phone numbers for all are also essential. Cell phones would be helpful as well.

Rabbit... Jersey... and perhaps pss... have cars and I should be driving too, but we should establish how many vehicles are available and who the designate drivers will be.

The target list is six.

Schwartz's

The Main

Snowdon Del

Smoked Meat Pete

Abie's

Georges

We should discuss exactly how many of us can manage all six in between about 10:30 in the morning and whenever in the afternoon. If at each deli we share a sandwich or two plus a smoked meat plate, I think we can pace ourselves, but chacun a son estomac, so the actual quantity is open for debate.

pss has offered to bring video equipment so we can post the visual results. There also might be some local radio coverage, but that is developing.

Since I might pick up a few more fressers from the Richler conference that ends the night before. it probably would be good to have extra cars available. At the moment two should be enough, but the more the merrier.

Directly via email and phone I will communicate the remaining details. I plan to stay in the Plateau, arriving from the States a few days before the event. I am not certain how easy my internet access will be from Tuesday, 16 March, onward so we will need to depend on phone contact to work out details and last minute questions. The sooner I obtain all your coordinates the better.

At the moment I am travelling and won't be able to check my messages easily until this evening.

VM:

What an itinerary - sounds like a smoked meat mega marathon! I'd so love to tell you for sure I'll be there but I'll only know by mid-week. How can I get in touch with you by email?

VM:

What an itinerary--sounds like a smoked meat mega marathon!

i just PM'd VivreManger to confirm my attendance, and i think i may have to eat nothing but Evian and soda crackers all week to train for this. :smile:

that is soo cool that we have a video crew! :laugh:

the coolest would be if we could make some .avi or .mpeg video files for eGullet about the 'tastings'...

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

--Isak Dinesen

VM:

What an itinerary - sounds like a smoked meat mega marathon!  I'd so love to tell you for sure I'll be there but I'll only know by mid-week.  How can I get in touch with you by email?

You can just click on e-mail at the bottom of any VM posting. Or you can go to member profile of VM, & click on e-mail in the Communicate section.

-Steve

Well, I'm not a video "crew" -- I just have a DV Camcorder!! But yes, the idea is certainly to make a little movie to post online for others to gawk at in horror, uh, I mean "to enjoy". And at least this means that I'll be less likely to keel over from a heart attack because I'll have my hands busy holding the camera (at least some of the time) as opposed to all that smoked meat.

Paul

VM:

What an itinerary - sounds like a smoked meat mega marathon!  I'd so love to tell you for sure I'll be there but I'll only know by mid-week.  How can I get in touch with you by email?

You can just click on e-mail at the bottom of any VM posting. Or you can go to member profile of VM, & click on e-mail in the Communicate section.

-Steve

Thanks SteveW for the guidance ... I was in touch with VM and I'm seriously hoping to meet all other smoked meat afficionados next Saturday. But someone please tell me that you're willing to share with me because 6 delis = lots of smoked meat!

The minimum at each place will probably be one sandwich and one smoked meat plate so everyone can get a taste on which to form a judgment, if so inclined. I don't expect anyone to survive 6 sandwiches.

I trust that no one would commit the sacrilege of ordering lean. Medium to fat should be the range, with a preference for fat.

I recomend bringing a cooler with you. This way you can get a sandwich at every location and say that you can just put it in the cooler if you can't finish. This way when you finish, you will not feel as guilty.

The best training is, stuff your face every day untill friday 10:00 AM, snack Friday night, you will be in form Saturday morning.

Cooler is taken care of. I am going to buy some fresh ice packs today in anticipation.

As for training, I have actually been systematically reducing my intake and weight over the past few weeks. I don't think so drastically that my intake capacity has diminished. Perhaps we should follow different anticipatory regimes and see what works the best.

Just checking to see if there were any survivors.... :raz:

We were remarkably disciplined and so didn't need the portable defibrillator after all. We hit 5 places in the end... wimped out (and timed out) making it out to Smoked Meat Pete. Have lots of photos and video which I'm working on, and VivreManger took plenty of notes... more to follow!

Paul

Just checking to see if there were any survivors.... :raz:

We were remarkably disciplined and so didn't need the portable defibrillator after all. We hit 5 places in the end... wimped out (and timed out) making it out to Smoked Meat Pete. Have lots of photos and video which I'm working on, and VivreManger took plenty of notes... more to follow!

Paul

It was quite an impressive day, even the snow could not slow us down! Credit to VM for having to drive back today in lousy weather. I am happy to report that everyone ate very well and a great time was had by all. For those not fortunate enough to have easy access to some of the delis we visited, you will surely appreciate Paul's upcoming jpgs and hopefully video. My ratings and comments to follow shortly!

For all of you who can't wait any longer. The suspense must be killing.

Just a quick summary of the exit poll, based on my interpretation.

Schwartz's, first

The Main, last

As for the middle, I would rank them, 2 Snowdon, 3 Abie's, 4 Georges.

The middle three were all acceptable, but I found 3 and 4 in particular too bland and spice-lite. It seems that north of the Metropolitan, in the burbs, they don't like it hot.

The Main resembled industrial grade meat spongy and vapid, rather than smoked and crumbly.

KenK may have stoppped at Pete's on his way to Ottawa yesterday and we will see if he can fill out our report.

Have any of you also tried Katz's pastrami in NYC...and if so...how do you think it compares to Schwartz's?  I have only had Schwartz's so I can't make the comparison (yet).

Trish, While I was not a participant in this March Marathon (there's no way you could get me to come to Montreal in the winter! :raz: ), I have had both Schwartz's smoked meat and Katz's pastrami, and I did not think the smoked meat tasted at all like pastrami. Although I liked the smoke meat well enough, for me, pastrami rules -- and Katz's rules above most others. (I am fortunate to have a kosher deli right near my home in NJ where I can get an excellent pastrami sandwich -- and some wickedly delicious french fries as well. :wub::biggrin: )

While that was not the main thrust of the marathon, at the beginning of this thread and elsewhere I argue that the best smoked meat is better than the best pastrami, Katz's included. I prefer the spicier taste of Schwartz's to the relatively milder taste of Katz's.