• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moueix Knocks Overconcentrated Wines

Craig Camp

‘I am pleased about the crisis because it will make the wines better if producers

are obliged to age their wine in barrels that are two or three years old instead of new

oak. An excess of new oak is a very wrong approach.’

Oh man, I love this guy. I knew I had a reason for liking Petrus, despite most of the crap coming out of Bordeaux.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

He continued by saying that the crisis in oak barrel production is a good thing for

wine production, as it will force many producers to curb their enthusiasm for new

oak. ‘I am pleased about the crisis because it will make the wines better if producers

are obliged to age their wine in barrels that are two or three years old instead of new

oak.

I am unfamiliar with this crisis - could Craig or Mark ellucidate? Do you know what the story is behind the barrel production crisis?

He continued by saying that the crisis in oak barrel production is a good thing for

wine production, as it will force many producers to curb their enthusiasm for new

oak. ‘I am pleased about the crisis because it will make the wines better if producers

oak.

I am unfamiliar with this crisis - could Craig or Mark ellucidate? Do you know what the story is behind the barrel production crisis?

There are not enough trees and coopers to keep up with the demand for new oak barrels. So people will have to used a combination of new and seasoned bareels or just seasoned barrels for fermentation.

over it

Hello all and merry Christmas! :laugh:

There are not enough trees and coopers to keep up with the demand for new oak barrels. So people will have to used a combination of new and seasoned bareels or just seasoned barrels for fermentation.

I think that world whisk(e)y industry has more impact on that issue than winemakers. Not mentioning other aged spirits.

Don't know if there's a real cooperage crisis, however.

Buon Natale,

Alberto