• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TOP WHITE OF 2003 - Toronto Star Pick

Craig Camp

I'm with you, bud. Although I assume that's $65 Canadian, which now would be about $50 US. Still, a wine would have to be pretty special for me to plop down even $50 retail. I've done it occasionally, but not much. I guess that most of the time I'd rather buy five good $10 bottles, three very good $17 bottles, or two really good $25 ones.

From what I recall (fresco, please correct me if I'm wrong), the Star is more of an everyman's tabloid-style paper, as opposed to the more serious Globe and Mail; kind of like the Chicago Sun-Times as compared to the Tribune. I wonder, therefore, if this was an "everyman's" kind of top white wine -- big and oaky. Any tasters out there?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The Star is a broadsheet, but has the largest circulation (500,000 plus) of any newspaper in Canada. So, yeah, it has to cover the waterfront. It is closer to the Tribune than the Sun-Times, but I've never thought the Tribune was much of a paper, either. Still, $C65 for that particular wine sounds like an odd call.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

As a Toronto Star subscriber, and one who has chatted with Gordon Stimell a few times, I must say that his weekly wine selections are absurd, as are these "Wines of the Year" that he chose. Basically, just disregard what he writes. The column was much better a year and change ago when Tony Aspler was still writing it.