• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Bloody Mary Soup

morela

I can tell you how not to do it.

Back in my restaurateuring days I thought a bloody mary soup would be a cool brunch special. Probably would have been if it tasted good.

We basically did a hot version of our bloody mary mix which was fine. But when we added the vodka at serving time the whole thing went south. Don't know why, but it did. We did not serve it.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Maybe because vodka is not really a flavoring agent? The good ones are bland and the bad ones are bitter. If I were to try it, I'd do it virgin and serve the shot on the side.

Yeah, it's sounding like something I shouldn't attempt with vodka.

What kind of soup most resembles a hot virgin bloody mary besides, well, hot bloody mary soup? I mean, is there something really similar that for some reason I can't think of. There ought to be, give or take a few spices/ingredients.

Maybe because vodka is not really a flavoring agent? The good ones are bland and the bad ones are bitter.  If I were to try it, I'd do it virgin and serve the shot on the side.

Yeah, it's sounding like something I shouldn't attempt with vodka.

What kind of soup most resembles a hot virgin bloody mary besides, well, hot bloody mary soup? I mean, is there something really similar that for some reason I can't think of. There ought to be, give or take a few spices/ingredients.

Probably a hot version of gaspacho with some optional added heat. Wonder if one could simply heat up a can of bloody mary mix?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Maybe start with a Vodka Marinara sauce. Tomatoes have certain flavors that are only released with alcohol. Add some Tabasco, or other hot sauce, puree, and garnish with chopped celery.

Oh, you certainly could also garnish with a shot on the side!

P.S. Dill pickle juice adds a certain "something" to a Bloody Mary that my wife and I really enjoy. I'm not sure what that would do to a hot version, however. Then you could garnish with chopped pickle.

Just a couple thoughts! :biggrin:

P.P.S. Merry Christmas everyone!!

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

P.S. Dill pickle juice adds a certain "something" to a Bloody Mary that my wife and I really enjoy. I'm not sure what that would do to a hot version, however. Then you could garnish with chopped pickle.

P.P.S.  Merry Christmas everyone!!

Thanks, man. I will add dill pickle juice next time I make a BM. Why the hell, not? I'm a big pickle eater, so the jucie in my mary should be a treat. :wink:

Soup trial set for end of next week, so keep this stuff coming.

Cheers, cinder-morela

Edited by morela (log)

use Habanero instead of Tabasco :)

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Maybe start with a Vodka Marinara sauce. Tomatoes have certain flavors that are only released with alcohol.

I think this would be the way to go -- add the vodka to the tomatoes early in the cooking. I would use beef broth rather than chicken for the liquid, flavor with celery seed, chiles (or hot sauce), worchestershire, salt and pepper, and add some kind of acid (lemon juice or even orange juice would be my best guess). Puree, then serve with a horseradish creme fraiche swirled in.

Beef Broth - MMMMMM!! a bloody BULL!

The horseradish creme fraiche sounds like a great touch, too.

Riffing.....

There's a Bloody Mary variation called a Bloody Caesar. It's made with Clamato (Tomato Juice with clam juice) Sounds disgusting, but it's actually quite good!

The horseradish got me going here.....

Garnish with chopped shrimp, or deep fried clam strips. Some chiffonade basil or mint might be nice, too.

Keep us posted, morela!

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant