• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A tip for getting a better latte at Starbucks

phaelon56

Starbucks espresso certainly isn't the best but for many of us it is sometimes the only thing available when we're in certain locations or better than the alternatives.

Starbucks tends to make their cappuccinoos with an excess of very dry foam - I prefer the texture of the lattes but there's just waaaaay too much milk relative to the amount of espresso.

I have adopted the habit of ordering a quad shot (two doubles) in a grande size cup (16 oz). This usually has about the right ratio of espresso to milk (I prefer a ratio that has a bit more espresso than this but that requires higher quality espresso shots than the 'bucks offers).

Here's the good news: Starbucks has "short" cups. These are 8 oz cups and they are not listed as an available size on the menus or price boards. Just order a double shot Tall latte, ask that it be served in a "short" cup and clarify that you're okay with paying for a "Tall". You'll get a roughly 3 to 1 milk to espresso ratio and a pretty decent drink as such things go.

Latte Grande, Three Shots, Skim Milk, No Foam here.

Or in Starbucks-Speak, Triple Grande, No Fat, No Foam Latte.

I've found that three shots in a medium cup is just the right combo for me, though it is far righter if I'm at a local Philadelphia shop that uses La Columbe espresso.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

And make sure you order it Off The Broiler!

Oh wait, wrong thread. :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host