• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fleming's Steakhouse in Edgewater

fatcatbrew

looks like a chain steakhouse type place.

website

looks rather intersting, but i'm guessing it's pretty pricy. they claim to have about 100 wines by the glass, from 5 to 15 bucks. that's pretty promising. they seem relatively into wine, and their wine list is listed by variety, and then by increasing body and flavor. good for them.

• 3 months later...

So I was speaking with my father and he suggested we have dinner at a new steakhouse in Weehawken (turned out to be Edgewater) that he heard 'rave reviews' about from 'reliable sources.' Has anyone 'been' to this place, or others in this 'restaurant chain'? Is it really worth the raves?

Sorry for tall the quotes, but I popped onto the 'Zagat' website and found no mention of the place. Color me 'disappointed'.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Can't speak for the one in NJ but I had one of the best steaks I've had this year at Flemings in Las Vegas.

Both the ribeye and the strip were excellent. Done perfectly with great taste and texture. The ribeye in particular had that good, beefy taste which seems to be lacking lately.

They have a tremendous list of wines by the glass, some overpriced but some real values as well. They also served the wine in better than usual glasses(for steakhouses).

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Can't speak for the one in NJ but I had one of the best steaks I've had this year at Flemings in Las Vegas.

There's a lot of good ones out there,I can't wait to go. Have you been to the place in the Bellagio?

:D

We have a Flemings here in Rancho Mirage....it's good...not great but it's good....and they've got good wines by the glass for decent prices (which is a luxury here) ..... you know, Flemings and PF Changs are the same people right? So they do a good job....above mediocre and below exceptional. The steaks are good tho.

We've been to the Austin Flemings twice. The service is excellent, the atmosphere is upscale (dim lighting, contemporary decor) but not stodgy and the food is good. They're one of the few restaurants in Austin that feature wine flights, which is another reason I like the place. You can try 3 different wines for about $10.00.

Things I remember about the food: Good bread basket for those who dare admit they like bread before the meal, thin shoestring fries, perfectly cooked chicken for non beef-eaters, and as you would expect, prime steaks. The New York Strip is particularly good. The drawback for us is that they don't serve prime rib, which is DH's favorite. They're also known for serving a good ahi tuna.

• 1 year later...

Things I remember about the food:  Good bread basket for those who dare admit they like bread before the meal, thin shoestring fries, perfectly cooked chicken for non beef-eaters, and as you would expect, prime steaks.  The New York Strip is particularly good.  The drawback for us is that they don't serve prime rib, which is DH's favorite.  They're also known for serving a good ahi tuna.

Went to the Austin Flemmings Friday and they now have Prime Rib on the menu....not sure if they offer it every night. At least in Austin, I think it is the best upscale "chain" steakhouse, better than Ruth Chris or Sullivans.

They have an interesting way of serving wine flights. They use a tiered holder with clear labeling that make it easy to identify the wines. After two different flights, I need all they help I could get.

i find nothing on the internet suggesting that these steaks are dry (rather than wet) aged.  anyone know?  i can't see making a special trip (which i was considering) if they're serving wet-aged steak.  i'll just go to Mignon to BYO.

Rosie,  do you have the scoop?

wet. save your nickels.

i find nothing on the internet suggesting that these steaks are dry (rather than wet) aged.  anyone know?  i can't see making a special trip (which i was considering) if they're serving wet-aged steak.  i'll just go to Mignon to BYO.

Rosie,  do you have the scoop?

wet. save your nickels.

Exactly Tommy. While Fleming's has all the pomp and circumstance, I find Mignon a much better value for basically the same kind of steak. BYO is the kicker here. On a side note Fleming's sides are much better IMO than Mignon's but I don't go to a steakhouse for sides. At half the price tab Mignon is the winner for me if I am settling for wet aged.

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I ate at Flemmings last year.

It was ok--certainly nothing to write home about.

The service was very good--steak ok--sides--ok nothing more nothing less.

IMOP-Mignon's is way better--across the board-steak-sides-and BYO aspect is a real plus.

On a good night Mignon's holds its own against all but the very top steak houses.

my take:

mediocre sides

the meat (strip and ribeye) was tender and juicy with, of course, no real minerally or beefy flavor. not much different than the prime steak i've had at Outback (once). not much different than Mignon's wet-aged steak. perhaps even not quite as good.

sevice and staff was pleasant and efficient

wine-by-the-glass program is a big plus

they should reconfigure the windows so you can actually see the city when seated

steaks were about 32 bucks, which isn't so horrible.

i'd rather spend slightly more at luger's or wolfgang's or slightly less at a butcher selling dry-aged steak. i just can't get jazzed about wet-aged steak.

nice restrooms. the soap had a hint of rosemary. yummy.

the 3 dollar valet parking should be comp'd if you're eating at the restaurant. although, the server will hand in the ticket for you while you settle up so your sled is awaiting you upon exit.

i should have bought a couple of acres of that barren wasteland of a waterfront that was edgewater 10 years ago.

i'd return on someone else's dime and if i couldn't influence the choice of venue.

save your nickels for someplace else.

my take:

mediocre sides

save your nickels for someplace else.

thanks for the heads-up. I almost went there this weekend. I guess It'll be RPT, if it's my decision (and if I "out-vote" my friends). I'm happy you gave this review! :smile:

Edited by steakas (log)

:D