• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg yolks

mjg

My wife is making an angel food cake and the recipe calls for a load of egg whites. That will leave us with quite a few excess egg yolks--we're looking at about a dozen. It pains me to just throw them away, so I was wondering the following:

1) Any recipe ideas using a whole bunch of egg yolks?

2) How long can egg yolks be kept in the refrigerator?

Not more than a couple of days. And pour a little water or milk over them so they don't dry out.

You can also do the ice-cube-tray thing with them, one per cube space, and freeze them. Or freeze them a few per container (stir them together with a little liquid first). Note on the container how many yolks and how much liquid, so you can adjust the recipe you eventually use them in. When you use them, thaw them very slowly, and they'll be fine to use in anything everyone else is suggesting.

Mayonaise! Be careful though, you will have to start ala hollandaise and cook your yolks without scrambling. I daunting task if you have never doen it before. Add some sum squeesed lemon jouce and a touch of white vinegar to insure the eggs set up an when they start to thicken, introduce your oil along with a little salt and Mayo better than anything you can purchase. -Dick

isn't there some artificial egg white you can buy in the stores?

I saw it once

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I dunno, I'd make ice cream if I had yolks on hand and felt like it... but I don't really understand the impulse to save egg yolks or whites in ice cube trays, little dishes, or whatever-- eggs are cheap.

I'd rather break 'em and use 'em fresh, and waste whatever I don't need at the time, rather than wind up with egg parts of questionable freshness and then have to wash the little dish I stored them in.

To many of us, waste is not about cost, but about usefullness.

But if I'm not in the mood to make ice cream (or whatever) that day, those yolks aren't useful to me.

Let's say I think I might need that yolk in a few days. Then I have to choose between either (a) reaching for the egg carton and cracking a fresh egg when I need that yolk, or (b) managing the inconvenience and loss of freshness involved in storing that yolk until I need it, at which point I've worked harder to have a less fresh egg yolk than if I'd just reached for the carton.

I can understand the impulse to save useful items, but I guess I'd rather have convenient/fresh stuff than be frugal (whether in the economic sense, or in the philosophical "waste not" sense).

My wife is making an angel food cake and the recipe calls for a load of egg whites. That will leave us with quite a few excess egg yolks--we're looking at about a dozen. It pains me to just throw them away, so I was wondering the following:

1) Any recipe ideas using a whole bunch of egg yolks?

A reminder of what this thread is about.