• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Wedding Soup

Brad S

Amazingly, almost every time I go to Costco, they are offering samples of this product. I imagine it's not a particularly authentic version, though!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've just seen an advert for a Campbell's tinned product called this.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I think Progresso Chickarina Soup is the most commercially available version of this dish, isn't it?

I actually LOVE Chickarina! It's my "go to" canned soup when I'm feeling under the weather. That is if I'm not doing the medicinal thing with a big bowl of Pho or Hot and Sour soup instead :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My (born in Italy) grandmother used to make this soup all the time when I was little. I had never heard of it anywhere else until just now....

She made it with meatballs and spinach, but that is all I can remember....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I think Progresso Chickarina Soup is the most commercially available version of this dish, isn't it?

I actually LOVE Chickarina! It's my "go to" canned soup when I'm feeling under the weather. That is if I'm not doing the medicinal thing with a big bowl of Pho or Hot and Sour soup instead :cool:

I LOVE Progresso chickarina.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I actually LOVE Chickarina!  It's my "go to" canned soup when I'm feeling under the weather.  That is if I'm not doing the medicinal thing with a big bowl of Pho or Hot and Sour soup instead :cool:

I LOVE Progresso chickarina.

Little meatballs, chopped spinach and/or escarole, pearl pasta and chicken broth. That is Italian Wedding Soup, no?

Chickarina has been one of my faves ever since I was little. It always blew the doors off of Campbells Chicken Noodle, which I found bland and watery, even as a child. I never understood why other kids liked that... :huh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My (born in Italy) grandmother used to make this soup all the time when I was little. I had never heard of it anywhere else until just now....

She made it with meatballs and spinach, but that is all I can remember....

That's exactly what it is -

Here is the only recipe I could find in English

...as always there are many versions.

The About.com Italian food guy, Kyle Phillips, did a nice piece on Italian wedding soup:

http://italianfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa100498.htm

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thank you FG and Craig,

That was exactly what I was looking for,I Knew there were meatballs in it so I made 800 already,so today my Sous will make the soup.

Again,thanks

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Thank you FG and Craig,

That was exactly what I was looking for,I Knew there were meatballs in it so I made 800 already,so today my Sous will make the soup.

Again,thanks

800 Meatballs? Just for the heck of it or do you have a plan?

Me and my staff will be catering to over 400 people Xmas day,two balls to an order,so, I need quite a bit :smile:

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Not that there's anything wrong with making 800 meatballs just for the heck of it.