• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

crown roast of pork

Dejah

I have an 18 rib crown pork roast for a dinner party.

Was wondering if anyone has good recipes for stuffing, etc?

In the past, I have made the old bread stuffing and just roasting. The meat was on the dry side. Is there any way to have a moist crown roast?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Mushrooms and brandy in the stuffing.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

apples,rendered pancetta and celery root in the stuffing (onions of course and sage/rosemary) A brushing of apple butter on the inner meat,and an occasional baste with the butter on the outside ribs to create a sweet crust. I would put your roast over a miropoix so you could make a nice pan jus when it's done.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

The method that allows the Roast to retain moisture, without drying out is one that requires a little extra time and effort but will gain you allocades.

Whatever stuffing your intending to use should be made ahead of time seperately and placed intothe Roast about a 1/2 hour before its finished for appearence.

Dried Apricots and Chestnuts and even Oysters add o the stuffings decadence if thats what your trying to attain.

For the Roast it's important to elevate it from the bottom of your roasting pan so that the Heat can circulate around the Crown Roast by placing it upon a raised open grill.

Cover the bottom of your Pan with a liquid base, I prefer to use a Pork Stock Made from the Trimmings and Bone Cutting in Forming the Crown Roast, but even a Chicken Stock can be utilized. This should just below the level or your Grill Grids.

It's important to slow Cook the Crown Roast at a oven temperature of 225 degrees.

Cooking this way with your moisture base will reduce shrinkage of your Roast and allow it to retain Moisture and become juicy and tender without drying out.

When your Roast his cooked to a temperature of 125/130 degrees by a internal thermometer or thru a oven probe, remove from the oven and allow the Roast to set before putting into the Cavity the Stuffing. During this time the Temperature may rise slightly.

After setting the Stuffing in place, Cover the individual rib bones with Foil to prevent burning.

Drain of most of the Fluids and Fats Remaining in your Roasting Pan, leaving evough to cover the bottom into a container to be used to prepare your Au Jus or Gravy.

Add some wine of your choice to the roasting pan bottom, just enough to leave about 1/4 inch of liquid.

Place the Roast after spraying or brushing with butter or Oil the Surfaces. Back into the 225 degree oven. Let it Roast about 20/30 minutes to start cooking again after the setting and placing stuffing period.

Then put your oven to the Broiling Setting for about 4/6 minutes or just long enough to start to nicely brown of the outside of your stuffing and Roast.

Next set temperature of oven to 350 degress. After about 30/40 minutes at this temperature your thermometer or probe should show internal temperature of 145/150 degrees. Turn off oven and remove Roast. It should look beautifully reowned and still be juicy and moist, the internal temperature will raise about 6/9 degrees while the roast is setting before being carved.

During this setting period, scrape the drippings and liquid from the bottom of the pan, incorperate these with the ones your previously placed into the container, first trying to skim away the fat on the surface. Place these together into a pot and bring to a boil on your stove, after boiling strain the liquid, then return to the pot and thicken slightly with corn starch or roux and season to taste. It will compliment your Roast and Stuffing upon serving.

Enjoy and please post your results if you've tried this method. It's worked well when serving Crown Roast for many large Banquets.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

• 11 months later...

any thoughts on brining a crown roast of pork? since i always brine pork, i'm thinking i should brine my crown roast, at least for a few hours. i'd then like to apply a rub and let it sit overnight.

wesza's excellent process seems a bit complicated, but i'm definitely taking a few pointers away from it. slow-cooking seems to be the way to go. and bacon of course.

any other thoughts?

I brined a crown roast in apple juice two years ago. Boiled the brine down for a glaze, and served with a spanish chorizo stuffing. It was excellent. If you're interested I can PM you the recipe.

Edit: I looked it up, and the brine included apple juice concentrate as one of the ingredients, not just juice.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

How about, MORE MEAT!

gallery_2_0_87540.jpg

I think this one has pork loin in it, topped with groud pork seasoned with garlic and Italian herbs.

Thats a Crown Roast of Pork fit for a Roman Emperor. Caligula or Julius Caesar even. Its like collapsing under the weight of all that extra meat.

One of these days I think we will buy one of those.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I did one of these a few weeks ago for the first time.  Dave dreamed up a soy ancho sauce  that just completely blew me away with the taste.

glazed Crown Roast of Pork

looks excellent!

any thoughts on brining, marlene?

It was truly awesome Tommy. Brining? Pork is not something I've ever brined, but I keep hearing that brining makes everything better, so why not?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 6 years later...

I prefer to cook it unstuffed and just make an oven dressing. you can pour some of the drippings over it later.

By request , I am doing a pork crown roast for my family easter supper on saturday.

parsely , rosemary ,thyme . salt & pepper. rubbed all over.

on a rack over some veggies and water and bit of white wine.

clean up the bone ends if needed, wrap with some foil to keep them looking nice.

As I said I cook it unstuffed. I have an empty metal can that fits in the middle quite nicely to keep the center from collapsing.

start it out hot 450 F for 25 mins, then down to 325 F til done .

total time is somewhere in the 2.5 to 3 hr range.

It only cooks that fast though because it is unstuffed and the can in the center really makes the heat transfer quick.

tested with thermopen to 150 F/155 pulled for some carry over

My family won't do pink pork so that is why my temps are a bit higher , but if you like it pink go for the 145 to 150 F range.

drippings in a gravy separator to skim some fat then back in pan with a bit more wine and roux or maybe beurre manie to thicken.

I made one this way on New Years Day and all I heard from my father in law during the meal was him muttering under his breath.

"wow"

"that is one awesome piece of pork"

"that is good meat"

LOL

I know it isn't fancy but if I am going to do something like that I want the meat to be the star.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow