• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too many clementines!

sara

Gosh, you all are terrific! Thanks for all the ideas--I especially like the clementine martini and clemmie cake.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

These are very light and cool after a huge x-mas meal...

Clementines in Vanilla Syrup

12 clementines

150 grams caster sugar

250 ml orange juice

1 vanila pod

Peel the fruits, making sure to remove the thick membrane and also the light spongy cores.

Place them in a shallow baking dish and set the oven to 150c.

Cook sugar to a light caramel over low heat - remove from heat and stir in the orange juice, using a long handled spoon, as the sugar will spit - return to heat if necessary to liquefy the mix.

Split open the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds - add the seeds and pod to the syrup.

Pour the syrup over the clementines and bake, uncovered for 20-30 minutes, basting with the caramel sauce a few times, longer if you want them more caramelised.

The clementines will get soft, but will retain their shape. Remove, cool and chill until ready to serve.

If you like add some liqueur in with the orange juice.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

These are very light and cool after a huge x-mas meal...

Clementines in Vanilla Syrup

12 clementines

150 grams caster sugar

250 ml orange juice

1 vanila pod

What is caster sugar?

Michael aka "Pan"

The only place I have ever heard of "caster sugar" was on The Two Fat Ladies. I always thought that it was the same thing as my usual Imperial Sugar that I buy in 4 lb bags. Is it finer than that? Is caster sugar an English term? If it is finer, then a volume measurement would be different in a recipe.

Note: I have no idea what I am talking about. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The only place I have ever heard of "caster sugar" was on The Two Fat Ladies. I always thought that it was the same thing as my usual Imperial Sugar that I buy in 4 lb bags. Is it finer than that? Is caster sugar an English term? If it is finer, then a volume measurement would be different in a recipe.

Note: I have no idea what I am talking about. :biggrin:

Domino Sugar (can you get that brand in TX?) makes "superfine sugar" which is comparable to caster sugar. It comes in a box. I think other companies make it as well. It can be difficult to find, I always keep a box in back-up just in case.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I made Nigella's clemintine cake today, and it was pretty damn tasty & easy to boot. I'm sure it will be even better in the morning with coffee. Next time I'll cut back on the sugar slightly though. It's a bit sweet for my taste ( kids loved it of course).

I made Nigella's clemintine cake today, and it was pretty damn tasty & easy to boot. I'm sure it will be even better in the morning with coffee. Next time I'll cut back on the sugar slightly though. It's a bit sweet  for my taste ( kids loved it of course).

On Nigella.com she says about this cake~ "It tastes like on of those sponges you drench, while cooling, with syrup, only you don't have to. This is the easiest cake I know".

I've wanted to make this cake for quite a long time. Ever since I saw her make it on Nigella Bites.

The last crate of clementines I bought at Christmas is not moving as fast as the first 4 crates I bought. I think the kids have had their fill. :laugh: (I couldn't pass up that last crate for $2.99 at Shoprite)

Since you made this, please tell me how many cups of nuts you used.

The recipe calls for 2 1/3 Cup of ground almonds. Just how many chopped almonds should I buy to get this amount of ground almonds? I'm not sure of the Cups? pounds? before I grind and process.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. :blink: I would appreciate your help. I want to make this for New Years day.

I made Nigella's clemintine cake today, and it was pretty damn tasty & easy to boot. I'm sure it will be even better in the morning with coffee. Next time I'll cut back on the sugar slightly though. It's a bit sweet  for my taste ( kids loved it of course).

On Nigella.com she says about this cake~ "It tastes like on of those sponges you drench, while cooling, with syrup, only you don't have to. This is the easiest cake I know".

I've wanted to make this cake for quite a long time. Ever since I saw her make it on Nigella Bites.

The last crate of clementines I bought at Christmas is not moving as fast as the first 4 crates I bought. I think the kids have had their fill. :laugh: (I couldn't pass up that last crate for $2.99 at Shoprite)

Since you made this, please tell me how many cups of nuts you used.

The recipe calls for 2 1/3 Cup of ground almonds. Just how many chopped almonds should I buy to get this amount of ground almonds? I'm not sure of the Cups? pounds? before I grind and process.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. :blink: I would appreciate your help. I want to make this for New Years day.

I couldn't pass up the 2.99 deal at Shop Rite either :biggrin: .

I think I used approximately 12 oz of almonds... weight before grinding. I had some slivered almonds leftover from green bean almondine and opened another full 6 oz bag to make up the 2 1/3 cp measurement (with a bit to spare). I processed the nuts in my Cuisinart until very fine and measured after grinding.

I don't have a kitchen scale, so I winged it and used 5 clemintines (uniform in size). Also, I was too lazy to dig out my springform pan, so I just buttered and lined with waxed paper 2 8 inch cake pans. I hope this helps! As I hoped, it was very good with our morning coffee. Very, very moist... and so fragrant.

I think I used approximately 12 oz of almonds... weight before grinding. I had some slivered almonds leftover from green bean almondine and opened another full 6 oz bag to make up the 2 1/3 cp measurement (with a bit to spare). I processed the nuts in my Cuisinart until very fine and measured after grinding.

I don't have a kitchen scale, so I winged it and used 5 clemintines (uniform in size). Also, I was too lazy to dig out my springform pan, so I just buttered and lined with waxed paper 2 8 inch cake pans. I hope this helps! As I hoped, it was very good with our morning coffee. Very, very moist... and so fragrant.

After seeing Nigella make this cake soooo long ago and now with your help and review, I look forward to finally making this recipe.

In trying to use up the rest of the fruit, I'm also going to try this clementine salsa with kiwi added to serve with roasted chicken.

Thanks,

Jo

We had an open house last night. Someone brought a dozen Jello/vodka shots, with the clementine skins as the containers for the Jello shots. It was really attractive. It was pretty crazy with 58 people plus a bartender and a 12-string acoustic guitarist stuffed in our home, and I didn't get a picture of it or anything else! :wacko:

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

I worked for a chef who would peel the clementines and then puree them with cooked (steamed, boiled or roasted) butternut or acorn squash and some hot chicken stock and a touch of cream and butter in a blender and serve that as a sauce for white fish like striped bass, grouper, sea bass, snapper etc.

They'd also be great in the classic shaved red onion, shaved fennel salad.

Juicing them would seem to be a waste. You could make a nice salsa (standard salsa is some diced red onion, peppers, your chili of choice, lime juice and a little oil and either cilantro or some mint) or chop the segments roughly and fold them into a butter sauce at the end, use them as a garnish on a lemon curd, or a dessert salsa with some fresh preserved ginger (julienne ginger and then blanch in three changes of simple syrup (1 cup water to 1 cup sugar - bring to a boil then change syrup twice, the last time boil and then cool in the liquid) - lasts for months in the fridge and makes the ginger sweet and easy to eat - great to add to sweet and savory dishes).

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

• 10 months later...

So is it time for cheap Clementines yet? They still seem to be pretty overpriced.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host