• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too many clementines!

sara

Any suggestions?? Any special drinks or desserts? Anything but eating them plain would be appreciated. Thanks

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

This is an interesting recipe for "Gammon with Clementines and Ginger" from Waitrose. I had something very similar a couple of months ago and it was quite tasty.

Nigella Lawson made a clementine cake on ABC last year for New Year's.

James Martin from Housecall on BBC recommends clementines as a garnish for pork. Seems like a sound idea.

About.com French cuisine guide Debra Weber recommends this recipe for clementine "salad". Seems like it might be a bit sweet, but why not give it a try?

A quick search on google will give you about a zillion other recipes.

It's worth remembering, though, that a clementine is an orange. Specifically it is a type of Mandarin orange, with fewer seeds than the standard seeded Mandarin. The tangerine is also in this family. So really, most recipes that call for oranges, Mandarin oranges, or tangerines can be adapted pretty easily.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

How can you have too many clementines???

Here's how you can have too many clementines:

- You buy a box of clementines at ShopRite in Little Ferry, NJ, because they're on sale for $3.99 a box and they look really good. The same day, you buy a whole carton of grapefruits at Costco in Hackensack for $9 because they look amazing. At this point, you have just the right number of clementines but probably too many grapefruits.

- The next day, your mother says, "Clementines were on sale at Fairway, I bought you a box." At this point, you are pushing the reasonable citrus-fruit carrying capacity of a two-person/one-dog apartment.

- That same day, you get three boxes of gift fruit in the mail. Big boxes. At this point, you can be judged to be in possession of too many clementines.

- You're scheduled to eat dinner at a restaurant or a friend's house every night for the whole forthcoming week. This is when one considers throwing a fruit party.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

- You buy a box of clementines at ShopRite in Little Ferry, NJ, because they're on sale for $3.99 a box and they look really good.

Shows what you know. Pathmark, down the road, had 'em for $2.99 :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Also: Emeril has a recipe for Tangerine Duck that I've been wanting to try. Rather than a separate sauce, he mashes tangerine pulp with sugar and stuffs it under the skin, makes a syrup with juice and sugar and pours it over the duck, then roasts it. It sounds really sweet, but the duck should cut that quite a bit. Worth a try -- it's in New New Orleans Cooking.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

- You buy a box of clementines at ShopRite in Little Ferry, NJ, because they're on sale for $3.99 a box and they look really good.

Dude, I'll take them for 3.99, theyre already back up to 6.99 at that wretched Pathmark.

And you may think you have too many citrus fruits, but juice them and they will disappear quick. I thought we had too many citruses the other day, with 4 10 pound bags of navels and ruby red grapefruits, but we went thru them pretty fast.

BTW if you want to make momo smell nice, squeeze the citrus oils from teh peel onto his fur and rub it around... they hate it for about 10 minutes, but it makes them all orangey smelling.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

BTW if you want to make momo smell nice, squeeze the citrus oils from teh peel onto his fur and rub it around... they hate it for about 10 minutes, but it makes them all orangey smelling.

Try that with a 65-pound bulldog and see what happens.

clementine sorbet, with cloves infused in the sugar syrup

also, you can have a fruit lantern making session. cut round the clementine's pith at equator level in a zig zag all the way round, then carefully peel the two halves so they don't tear. cut out pretty hole decorations (imagine it's a v-e-r-y small pumpkin), put a tealight in the bottom, cut a hole in the top half of the peel as a vent (just take out the stalk a bit vigorously), light candle, replace lid, and voila. family competition round the Christmas table.

for the ones that tear, you can 'spritz' them across a candleflame to see mini sparks?

am I pathologically attracted to flames??

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

FG, you could take a box every time you go to the friends to eat. Then you could join the ranks of the summer zucchini and winter fruitcake brigades. The clementines that won't go away.

Make pomanders. Kids love sticking cloves in them.Keeps em occupied, for real.

Maybe I'll check the 99 cent store!

Might you have in-laws who are hard to buy for?

And on whom you don't wish to appear to have spent more than $6.99?

You're kidding, right? I would be really psyched if someone gave me a box of clementines!

Jon, they DO go like popcorn, don't they?

FG, I'll come to your fruit party....

You could also freeze the sections and use them like ice cubes.

Edited by elyse (log)