• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A recovering vegetarian

beachcove

damn - i can't even see that link, as it's blocked for some reason by my work firewall. *lol* i'd love to take a look at it tho.

I thought perhaps you were referring to Dr. D'adamos work with blood typing and lectins. (Eat Right 4 your Type) while his theories are compelling, especially the stuff in "live Right 4 your type" i have a tough time buying into new theories without solid peer-reviewed research on it.

The pseudo-medico-scientific-pop-psych self-help book I'm editing right now refers to people who "classify themselves as full-time vegetarians" and to the "health-conscious [who] are choosing vegetarianesque (so-called 'closet vegetarian') diets."

Maybe this is why the general public has such bizarre ideas of what "vegetarianism" means? :huh: And why some people say "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat a little meat sometimes" ????? WTF?

The pseudo-medico-scientific-pop-psych self-help book I'm editing right now refers to  people who "classify themselves as full-time vegetarians" and to the "health-conscious [who] are choosing vegetarianesque (so-called 'closet vegetarian') diets."

Maybe this is why the general public has such bizarre ideas of what "vegetarianism" means?  :huh: And why some people say "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat a little meat sometimes" ????? WTF?

I had a friend who would loudly declare himself a "vegetarian who ate chicken and fish." I think he even made up a name for it (like "ovo-vegetarian" or "lacto-vegetarian").

I had a friend who would loudly declare himself a "vegetarian who ate chicken and fish." I think he even made up a name for it (like "ovo-vegetarian" or "lacto-vegetarian").

Cool! I can be a bovo-porco vegetarian :biggrin:. Baco-vegetarian?

Damn, this gets complicated.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Maybe this is why the general public has such bizarre ideas of what "vegetarianism" means? :huh: And why some people say "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat a little meat sometimes" ????? WTF?

well i'm a virgin, when i'm not indulging in sex. *LOL*

for that matter i'm always awake if you discount the time when i'm asleep.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Is that your way of letting them know your opinion of their emotional health: " here, babe, you could use some of this here stuff". :smile::biggrin::laugh:

:blink: Oh, no. Have you dumped me before? :hmmm::biggrin:

Lectins are typically a storage protein in seeds that plants make hard to digest and allergenic. For instance, peanuts have a protein called Ara h 2 (conglutin) that is undigested by any of the enzymes in your stomach and has several antibody binding sites on the protein.

The moral I take from this is humans make good fertilizer (if you're a plant). Many plants seem to take this sort of strategy. Journal of Clinical Allergy and Immunology is a good place to start if you want to look at lectins from another light.

I guess that the appropriate way to help your friend is to find meats that are in her comfort zone. For instance, someone who eats :ahem: high on the hog, may fall off the wagon for foie gras; whereas someone who eats a bit closer to the trotters may fall off for a Slim Jim.

I'd still bet on bacon. Or, Barbara Kafka's roast chicken is also quite heavenly.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Cheftoad, that's great! I had completely forgotten this, but when my friend and I were in grammar school, she used to love the tuna salad sandwiches I made. Neither of us like any other fish. It might be the perfect thing!

All the suggestions here have just been great, and will be much appreciated. I'm going to send her this link, and report back to you all on how her experiment is going.

She's really going to love the fact that so many of you took an interest in her situation.