• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My parents have two D. Perignons

Pumpkin Lover

Hey everyone--

I need some help. My folks recently received a bottle of 1993 Dom Perignon, and they also uncovered a 1985 DP Rosé. They wanted me to try and find tasting notes, ratings, and pricings on these two, but simple Googling hasn't really helped. Do you guys have any inside info on these two champagnes (and also, are there any links you would suggest should I run into this situation again)?

Thank ye!

*Edited for grammar*

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

Craig is right on! Dom is ready to go from the day of release. Needs time is meaningless. In reality my experiences with vintage champagne is that needs time can translate into decreased mousse and eventually bad wine. In this year I trashed two bottles of 1964 Bollinger and a bottle of 1962 Dom. All had lost cork integrity. Never again. In terms of vintage ratings, I have never had a bottle of Dom that wasn't excellent on the day of release. Happy drinking! -Dick

IMO, the 1993 should be ready now. Although many houses declared a vintage in 1993, I've found the wines to not have the stuffing of many other declared vintages. I've had several 1985 prestige cuvee bubblies, and all are holding up nicely. The 1985 may not improve anymore, but it will hang on for a while longer.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Fantastic advice--my folks have decided to open one of the bottles during X-mas morning, so I'll let them know about what you guys think.

One more question, however: where can I determine prices on these bottles? A lot of sites out there have inconclusive info, and I even tried my favorite liquor store, Astor Wines and Spirits, to no avail. Are there online merchants who might have a nearly correct prices on these two?

Again, many thanks--all this totally rocks. :smile:

I saw the 1993, tonight, for sale for $134.95. Wasn't my usual wine shop however and was more of an upscale convenient store (actually its name is Convenient ) that has a fair wine selection. Sometimes they are on the high side, but I once found a 1997 Late Harvest Chardonnay, Eloquence, by Raymond Vineyard and Cellar for $12. It lacked a price tag, was not in their POS and the cashier and manager on duty took a wild stab at it. :shock:

By dom standards, 1993 is average. lacks the requisite intensity to carry off the house style. which is a creamy, round style of champagne, complex layers of flavour, but needs the thrust of a good year to keep everything interesting.

It's very front of the mouth wine. 1993 is little dull in comparison to a great year, like say... the 1985!

the 85 DP if well cellared is a high value wine and should be quite exciting, firmly structured, rich in red fruits, almost like a top burgundy. very much a food wine.

enjoy! :biggrin:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?