• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bartending School

live2eat

So, one can become a bartender without taking classes at a bartending school? I just assumed there was a coursework and licensing requirement. Shows how much I know.

Tn is a state that does mandate training and certification. There may be others.

I think the mandated training and certification is similar to alcohol awareness such as what these folks do.

• 2 weeks later...

The mixology of bartending and the actual physical labour is only 10% of what you need to "learn" to be a good bartender. The other 90% is understanding the human condition. What it takes to get through this life. To be a listener, a shoulder and a muse.

A degree in psychology helps more than a certificate from a bartending school :biggrin:

I started out waiting tables at a mom and pop bar (OK, a mom and jackass son bar), and moved into bartending when the day shift tender walked off the job midshift. I learned on the job, built up my clientele, and learned some great skills. Then I lucked into a similar situation whilst on holiday in the Bahamas (a friend's uncle owned the resort). I REALLY learned a lot there. Now I have a catering biz and find that there are times I miss being behind the bar. I think that the important thing is that you take the time to LEARN from those with more experience. Listen to them. Don't just assume you have all the answers. My best "teacher" was a man named Cliff, the resort mainstay. He taught me more than I have forgotten about tropical libations, and how to make them in a flash.

Edited by Delirium (log)