• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

two new restos on upper saint-laurent

gus_tatory

there are two new restaurants on the upper part of saint-laurent--this is my neighbourhood and i walk through frequently: :cool:

--there's one on the east side, just above laurier, called "A L'os", where they don't seem to have a menu posted outside yet, and

--another on the west side, a bit further up, called "Chi" that is to be purportedly vietnamese cuisine and sushi.

anyone know anything (menus, opening dates, prices, buzz, etc.) about these two new places?

thanks,

gus :biggrin:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

ya, and there is also the italian guy with the plasma screen just beside "Chi", Yoshi has been open for a while but I can never find the bloody place, apparently the take out is quite escellent, there is also mile end bar for brews and BU and SOY.

It's my second time at Restaurant À l'OS. I had fresh oysters and scallop in their shell. For the main dish a rack of caribou. To finish, I tried the crème brulée trilogy. Everything was excellent.

It's a nice room, with good service. The plates are beautiful.

It's a bring your own wine, which I enjoy...

With the cheese plate, my dinner cost 76 $. And that's the problem.

It's expensive.

Alexandre G.

YOSHI sushi? I thought that new place was going to be called FLOW.

a few things: :smile:

--YOSHI sushi _seems_ to be affiliated with med next door--or at least let's say i saw several personnel filing back and forth between the two before dinner service yesterday around 1700h. caveat: i could be wrong.

--Rex: how did you get the grave and circonflexe accents on creme brulee? i mean: what is the keyboard trick? much grateful for answer in advance...

--Isak Dinesen

how did you get the grave and circonflexe accents on creme brulee? i mean: what is the keyboard trick? much grateful for answer in advance...

In Windows, the easiest way is to change your keyboard setting to Canadian Bilingual. The downside is that not all keys then correspond to their labels (e.g. the slash/question mark key becomes é/É).

You can also give the on-screen keybaord a shot; its usefulness will depend on your keyboard setting. In XP, display it by selecting Start > Accessories > Accessibility > On-Screen Keyboard. An image of the keyboard pops up, showing the location of the various characters, which change as you press the Shift, Alt and Ctrl keys on your physical keyboard.

A workaround is to hold down the ALT key to the left of the spacebar while you type a character code on the number pad:

128 - Ç

130 - é

131 - â

133 - à

135 - ç

136 - ê

137 - ë

138 - è

139 - ï

140 - î

144 - É

147 - ô

150 - û

0128 - € (euro symbol)

Have yet to find the codes for several accented capitals (À, Â, È, Ê, Î, Ö, etc.) or the oe/OE ligatures.

On Macs, you used to be able to use the keycaps map, which is similar to Windows' on-screen keyboard. Don't know how it works under the new OS, however.

I apologise for maintaining the divergence but in windows, you can always use the Character Map application to view all the special keys (and their related finger-twisting key combos) for your favourite fonts.

The fastest way is: Start|Run| and type "charmap" (no quotes). You should get a box where you can choose your font and then see all the related keys. Its useful for things like wingdings.

Back to topic: 76$ for a BYOB!? But considering what you ate, its close to what I would pay (if it included taxes and ...).

edited for spelling....sorry, but this bloody cold has my head in a fog.

Edited by maxanon (log)

okay, can't wait to hear your dinner report, identifiler~! :biggrin:

i'm curious about the name. i know what it means, but i'm curious as to how the name relates to what they serve. like is it all osso bucco? :wink:

--Isak Dinesen

Sorry, we had to bail out, babysitter problems and the roads were nasty. However we did manage to get out to primi piatta in Saint Lambert, the pizz there is pretty decent but still, not mind blowing.

L'Os apparently serves a filet mignon ina weird way, or witha bone on the side of the plate or something... I remember the reviewer talking about the plate being behind the name...

I've tried the filet Mignon, served on it's bone. Excellent piece of meat. Very tender and ''savoureux''. The cooking was perfect. I'd like to know from are friends that work in the kitchen specially with meat, what is the deal with filet mignon with the bone. Isn't that what we call in french Entrecôte but just a bit higher. Under what cut do you find the mignon with the bone (french, english, american ?)

Thanks (from a guy that works the front...)

Alexandre G.

Bone-in filet mignon is one of the steaks available at the Queue de Cheval steakhouse(& its off-shoot 40 Westt) in Montreal. Otherwise besides the mention of L'Os, I have never heard of any restaurant anywhere serving filet mignon with the bone.

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

Isn't "bone-in filet mignon" an oxymoron? Miriam-Webster defines filet (in the meat processing sense) as:

a piece or slice of boneless meat or fish; especially : the tenderloin of beef

While never using the phrase "bone-in", Larousse Gastro is somewhat more circumspect in its Fillet entry, referring to veal fillet chops (côtes-filets), lamb fillet cutlets ("without knuckle") and mutton chops. It also specifies that "pork filet mignon is cut from the boned fillet." Yet none of the recipes for beef fillet specify that it is to be boned but clearly assume that it is. And the diagram for French cuts of beef shows the filet as boneless. On the other hand, the diagram for French cuts of lamb shows the filet as being a rack of lamb, i.e. bone-in. In which case, I assume the boneless fillet would be referred to as the longe or loin, right?

Now I'm really confused...

Edited by carswell (log)

From doing a quickie search on google, it seems that bone-in filet mignon, is the latest 'speciality' steak cut, being added to some steakhouses throughout America. Queue de Cheval didn't add bone-in filet mignon until several years after opening.

-Steve

there are two new restaurants on the upper part of saint-laurent--

...--another on the west side, a bit further up, called "Chi" that is to be purportedly vietnamese cuisine and sushi.

so no one has been to "Chi" yet?

although it is always nice to talk about new specialty meat cuts... :wub:

--Isak Dinesen

I have just got back from l"Os. I believe Leslie has been also since I have been told the photograph of the Gazette is stopping by for a couple of shoots. Everything I ate was very good. There's a bit of other restaurants at L'Os, the style is minimal but everything is of high quality down to the fleur de sel de guerande.

Of our complete night, the only miss was the fondant au chocolat which was kept about 2 minutes too long in the oven, the center wasn't melting and the bottm was burnt but the tatse was still very acceptable.

We had potage du jour, potage de legumes with a definite Courge Musque side (don't know what courge is in english...).We also had the salad of green which was a mix green in a vinaigrette, again, the mesclun was perfect, all ingredients were fresh. Most main course come with one starch so you want sides. We took the wild mushroom seletcion with a lamb jarret and filet mignon avec l'os. Both meats were very good, my jarret was slightly lackered ina sauce (I think it was lightly confit also), it came apart very nicely, the piece was lovely and came with cassoulet side, where does one get pretty cuts like this ?. The agneau with l'os was cooked perfectly and came with a reduction and some mashed garlic potatoes that lacked a bit of the truflle oil from the menu but nothing major. The same reduction was used for the wild mushroom.

We had the oxygenated wather from the long water selection menu and I had the trio of creme brule (excellent) beside de fondant au chocolat. Again, I think esker water should be on that water list.

All and all, very nice service. excellent food, nothing intricate but every single produce is tops. Came to 101 dollars before service and this is a bring your own wine restaurant. I have no clue where the place stands in this category since I don't usually go to BYOW restos but this seems reasonable to get away from the huge markup... Of that price, the fondant cake was removed and we did not have coffee.I know nothing about the chefs but they're in your face and they look like twins...

Edited by identifiler (log)