• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum to pick up while out of country?

LJC

I will be in Venezuela this week and I wonder what rums egulleters recommend I pick up. I usually get Havana Club but my brother in law told me it has become harder to find. Not to worry, I will search hi and low, but while I am searching what others rums should I look out for? BTW, my flight is by way of Puerto Rico so if you can think of anything I might find in the airport I will look there too.

Thanks!

Is that the one that comes in the small leather bag? If so, I have bought it for as little as $16US. I use it to make rum and cokes.

That's the one. The cheapest I can find it is just under $25. Where for $16?

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Here are the Venezuelan rums that I know of;

Cacique

Pampero Aniversario (this is excellent for sipping)

Santa Teresa

Rums to get in the airport in P.R. I was just there in October so the prices should be pretty close;

Don Q Grand Anejo ~$36

Ron Del Barrilito 3 Star ~$13 (This is one of my favorites)

Reserva Aneja ~$15 green bottle

Ron Del Barrilito 2 Star ~$10

Don Q gold ~$10

Good luck!

Patrick

So, I just got back and I am happy to say I found Havana club with ease and for only $7/750ml ($ is very strong in Ve.).

I followed your advice and also picked up a btl of Ron Del Barrilito 3 Star, Ron Don Q Grand Anejo and Santa Teresa 1796.

Thanks for the Recs!

LJC

Good to hear you had a successful trip South!

I managed to get my hands on some Havana Club as well. I have never tried it before and am definitely looking forward to it.

Salud,

Patrick

Edited by Garcia21 (log)