• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infrared thermometers

After reading your book I contacted Raytek and bought one of their infrared thermometers. The one I bought will register only to 500° but I find it absolutely invaluable for quickly checking temperatures of my oven, freezer, oil and even stocks. Do you still use yours and if so what else do you find it useful for?

Ruth Friedman

Ruth,

I love my Raytek non-contact thermometer. You said "even stocks." But as I've discovered, you can use it to measure the temperature of most sauces and other liquids, even frying oil. I do think you were shortsighted in not mortgaging the house and buying one with a range going up to at least 1000 dg. F. And the models with a circle of lasers to pinpoint the area you're measuring.

Aren't you amazed and a little put off when you scan the temperature of various things in your refrigerator and discover that nothing is below 40 dg. F.?

Jeffrey