• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Tacos in State

ExtraMSG

I'm going to be driving down from Portland to Sacramento, picking up my little brothers, and heading down to Disneyland and then visiting some family in San Diego. So, what I'm wondering is what are the best taco stands/taquerias throughout California along I-5/99/101. I haven't decided which route to take between Sacramento and LA and back. Maybe two routes.

My current favorite tacos are found at Loteria Grill 6333 W 3RD St, Los Angeles, CA in the Farmer's Market at 3rd and Fairfax. They deservedly won Citysearch's best Mexican Food this year. Their barbequed beef tacos (actually braised beef) are outstanding... And their superb tamales sell out so quickly that they're usually gone by lunchtime...

In Santa Barbara, many foodies rave about La Superica Taco, 622 Milpas Street, Santa Barbara, CA, 1 exit south of State Street, just a mile or so East of the 101. I like Superica, as do the fanatic fans lining up all day to eat there, but I think that Loteria in LA is far and away the best place I've found in California.

Another fast food place in LA that's worth a visit is The Outdoor Grill, off the 405 in West LA on Washington. They make decent tacos, but the reason for visiting is their unbelievable tri-tip sandwiches. They're currently my number one guilty pleasure in LA...

Have a great(and toothsome) trip,

Michael Backes

I'm going to be driving down from Portland to Sacramento, picking up my little brothers, and heading down to Disneyland and then visiting some family in San Diego. So, what I'm wondering is what are the best taco stands/taquerias throughout California along I-5/99/101. I haven't decided which route to take between Sacramento and LA and back. Maybe two routes.

You can try acosta taco's which is just off the 105 fwy at prairie.....a little out of the way...but tacos to "die" for......no joke....I wont go there without a gun!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I'm coming down right after Christmas. We might even head out of Sacramento on Christmas Day. From what I understand, Disneyland is at its busiest during Christmas break. That weekend will be horrendous, I'm sure, so I wouldn't mind getting in there Friday so that we can get on a ride by Saturday :wink:.

If we go down 99, we'll need recs for Modesto, Merced, and Fresno, eg. I imagine there are some good options in there.

Also, any recs that include a place that has some more diverse antojitos such as huaraches, mamelas, chorreadas, quesadillas con huitlacoche, etc, etc, would be especially appreciated.

Thanks.

There's a pretty good chain centered on the East side of town called King Taco. In fact, I had one of their tacos al pastor, one carne asada taco and one carnitas taco along with some Tamarind drink from one branch (Washington and San Pedro)at lunch today.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

There's a pretty good chain centered on the East side of town called King Taco. In fact, I had one of their tacos al pastor, one carne asada taco and one carnitas taco along with some Tamarind drink from one branch (Washington and San Pedro)at lunch today.

King Taco rocks!..WE used to go there everytime we had to take a prisoner to Sybal Brand jail!...

My wife and kids went to Disneyland today and left after 4 hrs...said it was the absolute worst...total zoo with massive lines for everything!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

El Agave is an upscale place in Old Town San Diego, just off the I-5. I haven't been in about a year, but it has always been good and it features some of the more unusual items. The link below has a menu.

On a much more casual note, Juanitas and El Callejon, both on the 101 in Encinitas (about 25 mi. north of San Diego) are worth a stop. Juanitas specializes in carnitas, and is great during high-traffic times, a little greasy late at night. El Callejon is a sit-down place with more variety and very good margaritas. If you're in Encinitas/Leucadia on a weekend, there's also a mexican food market on the 101, west side, just a few blocks south of the South Carlsbad state beach, that grills meat for tacos in the parking lot--yummy. They have tacos on weekdays too at the meat counter. This place and Juanitas also sell the cooked meat by the pound. One last suggestion--If you're on I-5 in Encinitas, take the Santa Fe exit East and very soon on the left you will See El Nopalito. They have great carne asada.

http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profile/86964

http://www.elagave.com/