• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hearth

NY News Team

Anyone else been lately?

I was there in August, so not too recently. However, I had a great meal, as I did on my previous trips. One of my friends had the tasting menu (it had Kobe beef, but that's all I remember). I had the green salad with beets, the sirloin and short rib - which was excellent - and for dessert, the peach and blueberry fried ravioli. They were good - not great - though not nearly as delectable as the cider doughnuts they used to have on the menu (which, I hope, will make a return this fall). Someone else at the table decided to dip into the sides and ordered the potato puree, which was delicious (more butter than anything, I'm sure!).

I've had the snapper crudo a few times and always enjoyed it, and my mom loves the warm octopus salad. The service is great - attentive but not fawning, and the vibe is nice.

I'm still very positive when it comes to all things Hearth!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Anyone else been lately?

This past Sunday, as a matter of fact.

I didn't post it because I don't remember all the details -- two full glasses of red wine and one of port will do wonders for one's memory :wink: -- but I can say that it was worth every penny. There was a half-glass of Gewürztraminer that I forgot as well. If you've been keeping up with my posts on eGullet, then you'll know that this clocks in at the most alcohol I've ever consumed in one sitting. A veritable record as far as I'm concerned. :blink::wink:

Amuse: roasted yellow pepper soup

Apps

Me: grilled quail, farro, tomato preserves, poached quail egg

Suzanne: wine braised octopus, celery root, celery, potato

Paul: marinated sardines, soffrito crudo

Mid-course gift

Me: ribolitta

Suzanne: chicken consomme with vegetables and chicken dumplings

Paul: stuffed cabbage, broth, veal and sweetbread dumplings

Mains

Me: roasted sirloin, bone marrow, braised short rib, mushrooms, pearl onions

Suzanne: veal breast/sweet breads

Paul: roasted cod, artichoke, beans

Side of gnocchi. Hearth's gnocchi are a must order. Get them the next time.

Desserts

Me: trio of ice creams (vanilla, burnt sugar, raspberry sorbet)

Suzanne: olive oil cake, burnt sugar ice cream, roasted figs

Mignardises, coffee, tea

Total came to a little over $210, split three ways.

If the autumn menu is this good, who knows what winter holds in store. Sorry about your dinner, oakapple. Usually the foie gras is pretty good. I rarely order it though because there are more interesting things on the menu that I always want to try.

Soba

Hi, iain. We are going next Sunday with friends from out of town. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, Soba, for the recent report. I am reassured (since it was my choice--they wanted to go to Beppe, which is closed on Sunday).

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I replied via PM to Matthew, but I'm going to answer here for the sake of people who might be reading this thread (now and in the future).

Seating at the pass is first come, first served. Since Hearth opens at 6 pm, you'll probably want to reserve as close to that time as possible.

Our dinner on Sunday was for 6:30, and we sat at a table.

I'm not certain about walk-ins. It's probably best to call the restaurant to find out their policy. I know that I've never waited more than five minutes for a table, if that. However in my experience, I tend to favor early seatings, so that could be a factor.

Soba

Anyone else been lately?

Yes. I went a few weeks ago and had the tasting menu. A couple of courses were totally out of this world (raw scallops with beets and truffle oil), but it was for the most part just O.K. The service staff was knowledgable (some pretty damned good wine pairings were provided) and friendly, but we waited nearly 20 minutes between each course (they were packed). I suppose that's what I get for breaking my rule of never eating at restaurants on fridays and saturdays. I prefer to go on a regular weekday when it's slower.

Nothing to see here.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Hearth on Sunday with friends from out of town. I had the Snapper Crudo & the lamb--no one shared :sad: (probably because there wasn't enough food to go around) so I didn't taste any other entrees. They had the "Sunday night meatballs" (2 big hamburger-sized veal patties), the monkfish "osso buco" and a branzino special. We also ordered the mushrooms, gnocchi, and sweet potato puree as sides, one plate of donuts for Mr. babyluck and me, and the goat milk panna cotta for our friends.

Everyone enjoyed the meal. The service was enthusiastic--REALLY enthusiastic. Our server reminded me of Rachael Ray. "HI! Our special tonight is BRANZINO with blahblahblah, it's a FIRM-TEXTURED WHITE-FLESHED FISH with a FINE FLAKE!!!"--looking like she was about to jump on the table and do backflips. She used the same delivery with the wine descriptions. It was surreal. I liked her, though.

The bartender was awesome. Really friendly, attentive and sophisticated bar service. He admitted he was brand new and I was worried for him when the next customer came in and started asking him trick questions about the wine, but he handled it really well and she was happy with his suggestion.

A few comments about the food. First of all, it was novel to leave a restaurant not feeling full. I know that it is an American folly to gorge ourselves when eating out vs. eating well and moderately. It was great not feeling sluggish and gross afterwards and the next day. But I think they could increase the portions just a bit. The only generous portions were with dessert, which made no sense to me.

My favorite parts of the meal were the fantastic Hen (Hens?) of the Woods and the tiny orange smear (of buttercup squash?) that came with my lamb. Everything else was just OK--the crudo was really good but I don't think I appreciated as much as most here do.

Overall, the atmosphere won out big time over the food and the value. It wasn't too loud or cramped, although it was nicely packed. It is a guaranteed nice time (kind of why I chose it) because the servers are so polite, but not obsequious (I think that's been noted before), the pace is good, and the decor is soothing. Not in a bandagey mental hospital way, though.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

My friend and fellow egulleteer Sara and I went last night and sat at the bar for dinner. This is one of the best restaurants in NY to eat at the bar, lots or room and most people are there to eat or waiting for a table to eat. We split the following dishes off the fall menu.

Amuse: parsnip soup

grilled quail, farro, tomato preserves, poached quail egg

stuffed cabbage, broth, veal and sweetbread dumplings

kobe beef with broccoli rabe and cippolini onions or something like that

Side of gnocchi.

Dessert:

olive oil cake, burnt sugar ice cream, roasted figs

goat milk panna cotta with huckleberries

All the dishes were good to excellent, but if I had to recommend one I'd say to run fast to get the Kobe beef. This was amazing, we got it off the tasting menu and split a big portion. Beatiful intense beef flavor with a perfect subtle char and perfect complementary sides. Was $45.00 but plenty of food for two with the other dishes. If you get the Kobe I recommend the wine we had, a Qunto Do Vallado from Douro, went perfectly with it, did very well with all the other food and at $47.00 is one of the cheaper reds available.

Overall a great experience, the bartender (I forgot her name) was nice, and extremely professional. I have now been 4 times and each meal was better than the last. If I had one complaint is with the markup on the wines, there was one wine I know that was well more than double retail. The list is great, just wish it were cheaper.

Curious where people rank Hearth in terms of restaurants doing serious food downtown? I would place it above both the Tasting Room and 71 Clinton now based on recent meals at all 3. What do others think?

• 4 weeks later...

Dinner at Hearth last night.

I called around 8 pm, and was told that things were quite slow, that "I could just walk in". I showed up around 10 and had a seating at the pass.

Tasting Menu for 13 November 2005

Diver Scallop Carpaccio

Pickled chanterelles, beets, black truffle, herb salad

Txomin Etxaniz 2004

Veal and Pork Meatballs (half order, substitution)

Ricotta ravioli, tomato sauce

G. Bologna 2003

Duck Pappardelle

Black olives, red wine, rosemary (gratis)

Pumpkin Tortelli

Chestnuts, amaretti, sage (gratis)

Kobe Skirt Steak

Cipollini onions, rapini, red wine

Syrah Edmunds John 2001

Orange Panna Cotta

Candied pistachios

Quince Fritters

Rosemary-honey ice cream

Elderflower tea

Total: $126 (tax and tip)

Very reasonable, and a wonderful time as always. Being that it was a school night, I opted to bow out and not get a dessert wine :raz:

The veal and pork meatballs were a half-order in place of the normal 2nd course which was Black Bass, Autumn vegetables and Asian pear.

Hearth is my favorite NYC restaurant, and as I remarked to my waiter, "If I could afford to eat here every night, I would." If you haven't yet been to Hearth, you really should take it upon yourself and go.

Soba

for a long time I'd been passing hearth by thinking the cuisine and atmosphere couldn't possibly provoke escapism from its east village setting but I was completely wrong. the service was so warm and our waiter was not only knowledgable about every dish but actually seemed excited for us as we ordered. we arrived a half hour before our reservation as the bar we meant to begin the night with was closed and despite being busy they were good about seating us a half hour early, our table ready just as we ordered drinks at the bar - the dupont normandie pommeau (which if any of you know where to buy in nyc, please let me know) and the dupont cider.

finding out the cooked to order entrees would take some time our waiter suggested an appetizer, something we sought to avoid as we ordered three sides instead, but he offered to split the frisee, a light and flavorful precursor of what was to come.

I had the roasted bluefoot chicken, which I'd wanted to try but was loathe to cook myself and searching on menupages hearth's was the cheapest sampling in the city. the crisp skin and was so flavorful and the chicken melt in your mouth. I don't remember the escarole or beans but the dumplings alone could have made the dish. my girlfriend had the sirloin, such a large portion for the price and quality and I ended up finishing hers. originally she planned on having the pumpkin tortelli but there was so much pumpkin the night before at the city harvest / taste of new york benefit that we didn't want to risk one more course of it. the sides were great, hen of the woods, sweet potato puree and the gnocchi which would actually could have been ordered as an appetizer.

stuffed we still made room for dessert and the apple doughnuts were actually that, I think we expected fritters. small warm glazed doughnuts with cream and an apple compote which made a great topping for the trio of ice creams we ordered as well. the vanilla was intense, peanut brittle outstanding, but the pumpkin ice cream failed to impress, not because we were sick of it but it seemed the weakest in flavor.

I rarely repeat restaurants but I'm going back in a few weeks and I can't wait.

stuffed we still made room for dessert and the apple doughnuts were actually that, I think we expected fritters. small warm glazed doughnuts with cream and an apple compote which made a great topping for the trio of ice creams we ordered as well. the vanilla was intense, peanut brittle outstanding, but the pumpkin ice cream failed to impress, not because we were sick of it but it seemed the weakest in flavor.

I'm so glad the doughnuts are back on the menu! I think I'll have to head there soon...I also want to try that chicken! :rolleyes:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Is the pass at Hearth better enjoyed early in the night (as soon as dinner service opens) or later (like 10 pm/after 2nd seating)? I'm trying to balance the best possible experience with the likelihood of getting 2 seats at the pass.

It sort of depends on whether you prefer a kitchen that's just getting ready for service or whether you want the opposite, as members begin to take it apart, in preparation for the next day. The dynamic is different accordingly.

I've found that the chefs and assistants tend to be chattier earlier or later, rather than during the midst of service. For instance, I had the opportunity to speak with a few staff members last night. That sort of interaction might not have been possible during the first dinner rush.

If by myself, I have seatings at the pass; if with others, it's usually out in the main dining room.

Regardless of whichever seating arrangement there is, you'll have a great time.

• 1 month later...

I went to Hearth tonight with two companions.

Short review: it was very satisfying!

What we ate:

Bread and butter: a nice seeded crust sourdough, very pleasant butter served in a large thick pat.

Amuse: parsnip soup: this was lovely, with the natural sweetness of the root, a bit of earthy, and a nice smooth texture.

Apps: We split three items.

- pumpkin tortelli: a normal order is 5, but they kindly gave us one extra and split it into three plates of two. The sauce was tangy and complex, the pasta perfectly al dente, and the pumpkin filling was just a bit salty and savory. We all loved it, though I thought the filling wasn't quite as compelling as the sauce. Nonetheless, it was a great starter and made me smile.

- hen of the woods mushrooms: these were delicious, crispy at the tips, dusted with herbs and olive oil. I thought the fine ends were perhaps just a bit too charred, but it's such a minor quibble.

- baby lettuces salad with beets: very nice garlicky dressing, several varieties of beets, a fine salad.

For main courses, two of us had the duck pappardelle. The third had been about to order that too, but then decided to get the roasted blue-foot chicken instead so that he could try at least two dishes.

The pappardelle was very satisfying. The sauce was a simple matter of chopped up roasted duck, so soft that it must have fallen from the bone, a bit of wine, some oil, some parmigiano cheese, some fried rosemary and a few pitted black olives. I was sighing with contentment.

The crispy-skinned chicken came on a bed of escarole and cranberry beans in a shallow broth, and had a few small spherical dumplings. I tasted it and enjoyed the dumplings, escarole and beans (though the beans were perhaps a little undercooked for my liking), but the chicken itself was heavily over-salted (yes, the chef is a smoker).

For dessert I had the milk chocolate tart, substituting burnt sugar ice cream for the peanut brittle ice cream it normally comes with. I liked it, but wished it had been a dark chocolate tart. The ice cream was a nice idea -- very dark caramel flavoring with bits of crushed caramel strewn around it.

One of my companions had the goat milk panna cotta with huckleberry compote. She was very happy. I liked it but prefer a richer panna cotta.

My other companion had the marscarpone cheesecake, which turned out to be an individual New York - style cheesecake with candied cranberries stewed in ginger (it was billed as a compote, but to me they were more like candied). This was served with a cranberry sorbet on more cranberry compote. I thought the sorbet was fine but not really exceptional. But it was a really good dessert and a very nice cheesecake.

Verdict:

I preferred Hearth to L'impero (although it's hard to get the mushroom fricassee with creamy dreamy polenta out of my mind) and felt that it was equal to or close to Lupa (though not as traditionally Italian as Lupa by any means).

Solid 2 stars or maybe 3 (if Lupa gets 3).

I just wish I'd booked ahead last Tuesday for Lupa because I keep thinking of the crispy duck... *sigh*. And now I won't be back in NYC for a while.

(Note: Cost was $179 for three, including two glasses of wine. This is about equal to what I paid at L'Impero for two people, with only one glass of wine.)

Edited by Syre (log)

Additional remarks as a member of Syre's party for that dinner:

Our waitress was great, and gave us her frank opinions about everything. She also recommended a lovely white wine that I called a "happy wine." It was a still wine that sparkled on the tongue and included tastes of passion fruit and peach. It went very well with the food we had ordered. (Sorry, I can't remember the name of the wine, but it was a white wine by the glass and I think it cost about $10, probably $9.50.)

They definitely need to reduce the amount of salt in the blue-foot chicken dish, but Hearth is a really good restaurant. I came in with high expectations, and they were met and perhaps exceeded. That parsnip soup amuse bouche and the appetizers were wonderful, the duck pappardelle was delicious, the desserts were really good (I didn't love the goat milk panna cotta, but probably because goat milk has a buttermilk-like bite that I don't like, not because of anything wrong with the dessert).

I look forward to the next time, whenever that may be. It probably won't be soon, because of the cost, but I certainly felt we got a fair value for the price.

Michael aka "Pan"

Doesn't Hearth have the coolest wine list ever?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

• 4 weeks later...

Had a fantastic dinner at Hearth last night. I have read that the prices are extremely high, but I thought they were quite reasonable for what we got.

Started out with the parsnip soup amuse.

The waiter suggested a delicious wine from Lebanon of all places. Went with our dishes perfectly.

For appetizers, boyfriend got the frisee salad and cleaned his plate. He is not the most enthusiastic eater so I know when a dish gets a "Yum" from him, it's great. I had hamachi with apples and celery - delicious and refreshing.

For our entrees, I had the duck papparedelle and he had roast chicken. My meal was delicious, the duck was very rich and flavorful. He liked the chicken but don't know if it rated a "yum" from him.

For dessert, we ordered the donuts and chocolate tart. About 10 minutes after we ordered, the waiter (who had been excellent all night) came back and apologized that he hadn't remembered if we had ordered dessert and if we had, what we ordered. We weren't in a hurry and he apologized so neither of us minded. But the boyfriend in the meantime realized how full he was so this time we asked for only the donuts and told him not to bring the tart. He told us he would bring the tart anyway, free of charge. It was very sweet and a classy way to handle a mistake. A mistake that in my opinion didn't warrant any free food!

The tart was good but the donuts were ridiculous. Hot, crispy on the outside and flaky on the inside. And the apple compote was the perfect compliment.

They gave us spice cookies for an after-dinner treat. It must've been the wine b/c apparently I ate both of them without letting the boyfriend have any. Whoops!

Overall, our experience was great. The service was wonderful and made us feel at home. People have also said that the back room where we are seated is "Siberia" (in Zagat's) but it was perfect for us. Lots of tables for two and it was very quiet b/c it was a narrow area. And since the service was attentive, I don't think we missed out on anything not being in the main room.

Nice report. Some very nice wines come out of Lebanon. The two most well known Lebanese vintners in the U.S. are Chateau Musar and Chateau Kefraya. Both also have second labels, I believe. The wines are very distinctive. People generally either love them or hate them. I am in the former camp. Musar makes a very nice white in addition to their reds. i'm not sure if Kefraya does. Can you recall if it was one of these that you had?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Nice report. Some very nice wines come out of Lebanon. The two most well known  Lebanese vintners in the U.S. are Chateau Musar and Chateau Kefraya. Both also have second labels, I believe. The wines are very distinctive. People generally either love them or hate them. I am in the former camp. Musar makes a very nice white in addition to their reds. i'm not sure if Kefraya does. Can you recall if it was one of these that you had?

You are absolutely right, it was a Chateau Kefraya 2000. I meant to ask for a pen to write it down while I was there. But by then I had already had half the bottle so my thoughts were kind of shaky :)

I enjoyed your report, elicious. But I'm curious where you read that Hearth's prices are "extremely high." Cheap eats it isn't, but in a city with restaurants charging hundreds of dollars for dinner, like Masa, I don't think one could call a ~$60 dinner "very expensive." And it seems like we agree that the price is fair for the quality they're putting out.

Michael aka "Pan"

I enjoyed your report, elicious. But I'm curious where you read that Hearth's prices are "extremely high." Cheap eats it isn't, but in a city with restaurants charging hundreds of dollars for dinner, like Masa, I don't think one could call a ~$60 dinner "very expensive." And it seems like we agree that the price is fair for the quality they're putting out.

You are very right - I misread something in Zagat's (ever an unreliable source) that actually pointed out it is a great value for the qulality. And I wholeheartedly agreed. It was about $150 for us with 2 entrees, 2 apps, 1 dessert and a great bottle of wine. Really a steal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Has anyone been recently? I am going tonight, having last eaten there about 2 years ago. I can't say that I remember too much from my last visit other than that narrow side room by the kitchen was brutally hot and that the side dish of roasted Hen of the Woods mushrooms were fantastic.

I want to go real bad, but it seems like cool weather food to me. I'd still like to hear about your meal though, just to make sure they are still as good as everyone says.. :smile:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

• 1 year later...

No posts for the past year? Must correct that.

Dinner tonight at Hearth.

gallery_1890_1967_315799.jpg

Copper River salmon, radishes, squash, sugar snap peas, gros sel

Spiked Luis Rivera: Navarro Gewurztraminer grape juice, rum, citrus fruits and mint

gallery_1890_1967_103910.jpg

Pan seared rouget, yellow pepper puree, opal basil, roasted peppers, zucchini

2004 Kabinett Riesling

gallery_1890_1967_189818.jpg

Roasted sweetbreads, chantrelles, sweet corn, sweet corn puree

gallery_1890_1967_89259.jpg

Seared scallops, heirloom tomatoes, mint, zucchini, sucrene

2006 Kir-Yianni, Noussa, Greece

gallery_1890_1967_54051.jpg

Pappardelle, rabbit, tomato concasse, fava beans

1998 Terricci, Tuscany, Italy

gallery_1890_1967_216644.jpg

Pork three ways. Clockwise from top left: Pork tenderloin, crispy pork belly, pork sausage. Served with honshimeji mushrooms and zucchini

gallery_1890_1967_221524.jpg

Almond cherry trifle

Mignardises

If you haven't been, you simply must go.