• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

shun no mono-- fuyu

torakris

so hiroyuki, how expensive is the fugu?  do you have to buy it at a special place because you need a license to slice it?  also when you eat it does it make your mouth/face numb?

Fugu prices vary depending on the type and cut. Fugu can also be purchased at any supermarket, check out the fugu thread.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

What are some of your favorite "winter" Japanese foods?

The question may be old, but it's still fresh :smile:

I think tarako (cod roe) is a good winter buy - fresh tarako that you can make into taramasalata *without mashed potato in it*. For heaven's sake !!! :biggrin:

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I got one for 980 yen:

gallery_16375_5_21807.jpg

Label on the back:

gallery_16375_5_75922.jpg

25 g ma-fugu sashimi (14 very, very thin slices)

10 g tora-fugu kawa (skin)

Ponzu

Negi (bannou negi?)

Momiji oroshi (Grated daikon and carrot)

1 or 2 servings :sad:

We are a family of four... (sigh)

Edited to add:

The momiji oroshi was actually grated daikon and red pepper. I googled and found that this type of momiji oroshi seems more popular. Anyway, we didn't use the momiji oroshi; it was too hot for us. :angry:

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

• 10 months later...
Hmm...grilled buri (yellowtail) with a stack of finely grated daikon...kinkan (citrons - I actually like eating these whole as a way to wake up a sleepy winter afternoon)...oysters in nabe...dried persimmons...even dried sweet-potatoes occasionally...kids like those "pocket shiruko" that come as powdered bean jam in a wafer cup, break into a bowl and pour hot water over them.

Next?

Kan-buri 寒ブリ (yellowtail caught in winter and highly valued for its fattiness)!

I had farmed kan-buri for supper last night.

gallery_16375_4595_123380.jpg

8 slices for 498 yen.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great Hiroyuki! I love kan-buri too but only indulge once or twice a year because it's so pricy. Last year I served it as sashimi along with buta shabu and just for fun we tried dipping in the pot-- delicious! Now shabu shabu is my favourite way to eat it.

Yesterday I noticed that whole kan-buri were on sale for about the same price as a small pack of sashimi. I wonder if it would be worth buying it whole and cutting up at home?

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Looks great Hiroyuki! I love kan-buri too but only indulge once or twice a year because it's so pricy. Last year I served it as sashimi along with buta shabu and just for fun we tried dipping in the pot-- delicious! Now shabu shabu is my favourite way to eat it.

Yesterday I noticed that whole kan-buri were on sale for about the same price as a small pack of sashimi. I wonder if it would be worth buying it whole and cutting up at home?

I would buy one and make sashimi from the flesh and make buri daikon using all the trimmings (ara)!

I would buy one and make sashimi from the flesh and make buri daikon using all the trimmings (ara)!

That's what I was thinking. I've never carved up a fish that big though. Have you?

That's what I was thinking. I've never carved up a fish that big though. Have you?

No, although I have no idea how big your kan-buri was. I've wanted to buy a deba for months, and that will be a good execuse for buying one, and a yanagi.

No, although I have no idea how big your kan-buri was. I've wanted to buy a deba for months, and that will be a good execuse for buying one, and a yanagi.

Not huge-- maybe 50cm? I have no special knives though, and poor knife skills. I'm afraid I'd just bungle it. Very tempting though.

• 3 weeks later...

Coming from the US it is hard for me to think of strawberries as a winter food, but it does give us something fun to do in the winter! 2 weeks ago we went ichigo gari (gari-ing?) or strawberry picking. All you can eat strawberries for 30 minutes at 1500 yen a person (US$14).

They were beauties and very good!

gallery_6134_5519_41093.jpg

They give you a plastic holder with a small cup filled with condensed milk and another cup into which you place the hulls.

gallery_6134_5519_28725.jpg

These green houses are quite big and the area we went to had about 30 to 40 of them practically side by side.

gallery_6134_5519_3394.jpg

gallery_6134_5519_4930.jpg

$14 per person? Wow! Here in Korea you can get two trays of strawberries for that price. Each tray would have about 30 strawberries.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

$14 per person? Wow! Here in Korea you can get two trays of strawberries for that price. Each tray would have about 30 strawberries.

Yes it is cheaper to buy them in the store, yesterday I picked up a pack of 30 (smallish) strawberries for 298 yen (US$2.80). This is why we have only done this 3 times, twice with my in-laws (who paid) and once with friends at the end of the season when the price had dropped to 500 yen (US$4.70) a person.

• 3 weeks later...

Chijimi hourensou (lit. shriveled spinach), available only in the wintertime, has become increasingly popular recently.

I bought one pack the other day for 180 yen (3 bunches).

gallery_16375_4595_2623.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture. I was very busy in the early morning.

This type of spinach is much sweeter than regular ones because of exposure to frost, and it contains less aku (harshness), so you need not parboil it.

I put my spinach in miso soup this morning.

Chijimi hourensou (lit. shriveled spinach)

gallery_16375_4595_2623.jpg

Oh thank you so much for posting this. There was a Japanese lady farmer at my weekly farmer's market in California for a number of years that had this spinach in the winter. I never see it any more. I think she retired. Now I know what it is called and can check out getting seeds. I agree that it is very nice to eat.

heidih:

Note that "chijimi hourensou" is not the name of a variety, but refers to spinach grown in a special way. One site (Japanese only) says that the spinach is exposed to low temperature (4C) in the winter time for 10 or more days, and one recommended variety is Asagiri (朝霧 in Kanji). Another site says that the sugar content can sometimes be 10% or greater. :shock:

• 2 weeks later...
heidih: 

Note that "chijimi hourensou" is not the name of a variety, but refers to spinach grown in a special way.  One site (Japanese only) says that the spinach is exposed to low temperature (4C) in the winter time for 10 or more days, and one recommended variety is Asagiri (朝霧 in Kanji).  Another site says that the sugar content can sometimes be 10% or greater. :shock:

This reminds me of grünkohl in Germany--frostbitten kale is prized for its greater sweetness. I went to a grünkohl festival on the island of Sylt once in February.

Wonder why low temps seem to increase sugar content--eiswein from frostbitten grapes is another example.

In winter, I love crab. Weirdly, I also love shirako.

heidih: 

Note that "chijimi hourensou" is not the name of a variety, but refers to spinach grown in a special way.  One site (Japanese only) says that the spinach is exposed to low temperature (4C) in the winter time for 10 or more days, and one recommended variety is Asagiri (朝霧 in Kanji).  Another site says that the sugar content can sometimes be 10% or greater. :shock:

This reminds me of grünkohl in Germany--frostbitten kale is prized for its greater sweetness. I went to a grünkohl festival on the island of Sylt once in February.

Wonder why low temps seem to increase sugar content--eiswein from frostbitten grapes is another example.

In winter, I love crab. Weirdly, I also love shirako.

Interesting I will have to look out for the grünkohl here in Germany.

They sell spinach here in germany that looks exactly like Hiroyuki's picture during the winter time. I bought a kilo for about 1.50 euro, and made korean spinach banchan, and some lovely salad. They are pretty tasty, and went extremely fast. but spinach never survives long in my house. :P

• 9 months later...
Today is the winter solstice, and I forgot to buy some kabocha yesterday! :sad:

Hiroyuki, Why do you buy Kabocha before the winter solstice?

And wait a minute. Isn't winter solstice the day that is the shortest in the year? Isn't that actually the 22nd this year?

If I'm right, you can buy some Kabocha today! But not before you explain why!

Just wanted to remind you all that the winter solstice falls on tomorrow, Dec. 21, this year. Get your yuzu and kabocha ready! :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

Today, I made kanpachi (not buri) daikon. Details can be found here. Yum, yum!